High seas, light line and a TANKER mossback.

PENN

Steel Leader

Liquid Therapy
Aug 29, 2005
san diego
www.facebook.com
Name
marcus
Boat
27' seastar flybridge diesel
A 12 lb bonita will rock you more than a 30 lb yt.

Nice fish.

We have targeted those 12-15 lb bonita up here in Santa Barbara in October-December (when they're around), using small tuna feathers and megabaits when they're thick. It's like fishing for offshore tuna, those guys pack a punch on light gear. We usually take a ton of ice, gill them immediately, and then invite family/friends for some kickass bonita sashimi/sushi. The key is immediately bleed, then directly on ice, and eat within 24 hours. Might as well be eating Bluefin, sounds like a joke but try it out and you'll be pleasantly surprised.[/quote]
I laugh when people talk about Bonito like its a trash fish, I personally think it's right up there with some of my favorite fish to eat, the key is bleed, spike then ice and it's a marvelous tasting tuna, seared in peanut oil.

Upvote 0

seymour

Almost A Member
Jun 15, 2008
so. cal
Name
seymour
Boat
fins
[quote="Paddyman1, post: 3554209, Nothing is as tenacious as the YT! What a great surprise catch!

Nice fish.[/quote]
A 30 lb yellow around structure is a way way way harder fish to land on 12 lb than a bonita. Bonita are strong but yellows are smart and strong. very impressive fish on 12lb

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Nice fish.
A 30 lb yellow around structure is a way way way harder fish to land on 12 lb than a bonita. Bonita are strong but yellows are smart and strong. very impressive fish on 12lb[/quote]

Thanks, Seymour! I've fought some ferocious 30# + grade YT using 40# test with 60# leader trying to keep the beasts out of the rocks, and I've been scratching my head over the comment Scott made that a 12# Boney would provide a better fight.

Reactions: Short Bite
Upvote 0

Steel Leader

Liquid Therapy
Aug 29, 2005
san diego
www.facebook.com
Name
marcus
Boat
27' seastar flybridge diesel
I doubt the 15lb bonito is going to out class a 30# homeguard, but his point is taken, again, we got some other nice yellows around 15# class and one bonie that was about the same, that thing fought like no other, I was sure I had something bigger on the line, blast to catch with bait. I'm not going to give out specifics of a sensitive area like the one I caught this fish, I have located some numbers through countless hours of scanning on the sonar, I founds some high spots with structure and I look for bait on the meter, when you find them, drop down and be prepared for ANYTHING.

Upvote 0

seymour

Almost A Member
Jun 15, 2008
so. cal
Name
seymour
Boat
fins
Never had a bonita go straight into the island and rock me, lost plenty of yellows on heavy line that have. I have also caught a fair share of 10lb Bonita on light line and yea they are a very very good fighting fish, pound for pound maybe the strongest, but a yellow around structure is just different kind of battle and a battle that is often not won on the light stuff.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
It that's #30, you must be 3' tall.
Smart ass look at his hand. That fish is 32-38# without a doubt. Give the guy who caught it and felt it the benefit of the doubt. This is why none of my friends go on here. Go catch ur own then.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Got this today while fishing for rockfish with our dead sardines we got from the reciever, 12lb IZOR Platnum, 3/0 Owner gorilla hook, 6oz torpedo sinker with a simple dropper loop 3' above, rod:seeker graphite inshore BCSW 706-7T 10-17lb, reel Abu ambassaduer 6500 c4 with ceramic bearings, carbon drag plates and power handle. 45 minute battle. scale was not working so not sure the weight, thinking 30 lb class.

Nasty seas out there today boys, BEWARE!!

View attachment 544748
Very Awesome. I agree about those bottom #s these guys want them. But you did all the work. Just like up off OC. Five years ago in jan. We made our own reef. But last year one guy told the wrong person. Sporties ruined it. Pounded every day until not anything but Tom cod or Lizardos. Never again. Keep to yourself. Enjoy!! And by seeing ur hand I guess 34. Great fish!!

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    Smart ass look at his hand. That fish is 32-38# without a doubt. Give the guy who caught it and felt it the benefit of the doubt. This is why none of my friends go on here. Go catch ur own then.
    OK, some people get sarcasm, some don't. It would have been a dis if I have said. "You must be 7 feet tall". That would mean the fish looks smaller than size speculated. STOP ME IF I'M GOING TOO FAST. I said he must be 3 feet tall, because the fish looks much larger than that. I'm glad we had this little talk.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
    Aug 16, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Jeff Dalton
    Boat
    21' Parker/Stealth Stix
    Not probably, it "is" the strongest fighting fish in our waters, pound for pound. Nothing is as tenacious as the YT! What a great surprise catch!
    Agreed!

Upvote 0