High risk high reward 8/18/18

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Darryl Smith, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Darryl Smith

Darryl Smith Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roofer Darryl
    Boat:
    Boat less
    Fished Saturday with Sean on the cop out. Plan was to leave the dock early on Friday night around 8 p.m. to fish the night bite at san Clement. Unfortunately we didn't end up pulling out of mission bay until like 12:30 after making about 15 Mac's at the bait barge. The night bite went out the window after making the 80 mile treck to the far end of the island. We arrived around 5 a.m giving us about 30 minutes of darkness. Dropped flat falls until no love except one 4 foot mako shark kind of weird 150 feet down on the flat fall. Just after sun rise we spotted a massive patty fished it for nothing. We fished dobble trouble on the balloon we tried flying the yummy still no love. The high light of our day around 1:00 p.m we ran into the island around eel cove the bass were every cast on bait I cought a few on surface iron. Sean cought one close to 8 lbs on a small colt sniper. We did the bass thing in till about 4. My buddy looks to his right and yells boils at first glance we thought they were yellowtail being so tight to the kelp. I was standing on the bow as we ran up on them Sean gets up swell of the fish and shuts the boat down they come right through us turns out they were bluefin. I briefly hook one on the surface iron. Next thing you know this kook in a massive yacht comes bombing down the line and runs right over the spot of fish. We politely explained over the radio how to approach a spot of fish. To my surprise the fish pop back up about 1/4 mile away before we get a second cast. There is dumb shit in his yacht same thing runs directly on top of the school trying to get baits out. So we decided to go back off the island and fly the yummy until dark. We had a blow uparound 6 o'clock but no love fished till dark back to mission bay 11:30 p.m 24 hour trip. Long trip ever since I got one over 200 a few weeks ago I continue to chase these things over looking the fun fishing down south. Its still amazing that a fish of a lifetime is in our back yard.

Resized952018081895192948953432.jpg 0817181839.jpg

2. cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea Pangero

Name:
    Russell
    Boat:
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    Can't fix yachting "cranial rectosis"... :food-smil

3. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Bummer on the bluefin, hell of an effort.

Macs have been easy at the tip of the Mission Bay jetties. Grab a small chum bucket from Dana Landing and they come in fast.

Ryan_J likes this.
  4. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Try try again, bummer!

5. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    Good effort. Was it the big boys along the kelp? Just curious. That would be a great site to see underwater, with the kelp forest in the foreground.

6. Darryl Smith

Darryl Smith Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Roofer Darryl
    Boat:
    Boat less
    Fish looked between 50 and 100 big enough