russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
NOAA was calling for 10 knot south winds turning variable in the afternoon for Thursday so late Wednesday night I made a last minute decision to try catch some New Years fish so I launched out of Hi Kai at 6:30am and ran the 40 fathom all the way down to Rabbitt Island without a single strike. Feeling a little pressure and seeing that the water condition looked pretty good I headed for the 500 fathom outside of Makapuu and my initial plan was to make a run pass "T" Buoy. According to my GPS coordinates I was supposed to be around .5 miles to "T" but could not find it and as I was scanning the area I saw about 6 birds diving into the water about 200 yds outside of me. My first pass in the birds resulted in a double Aku Strike and managed to get both of them into the bag:lux:. Alright, no whitewash! I spotted the birds again and made another pass which result in another double...same two corner lures! After getting those two Akus in the bag, I got set up again and made a third pass .....Hanapa'a...double again, same lures! I made one more pass which resulted in a single Aku and by this time the water was beginning to get pretty sloppy and the wind kicked up a couple notches so I started making my way back to Hi Kai.....some 25 miles away!!! What I normally would estimate taking 2.5 hours to get back to the harbor actually turned into a 5 hour journey over some of the roughest conditions that I have every faced while fishing out of Hi Kai. Imaging a 15' boat trying to make it back from Kaneohe to Hi Kai in 20 knot south winds and steep, breaking 10 foot head seas. Just to add more to what was already a very challenging day on the water, there were waves breaking accross the channel entrance!!!! Boy was NOAA was so wrong!! What happened to the variable afternoon? The Aku's ranged from an 8 pounder to 5 weighing between 10-12 lbs. and the largest weighing in at 17lbs. Oh well, just glad to be home in one piece and fortunate enough to have found some great Holiday fish to end what I felt was a pretty good 2009 year. Happy New Years!!!!!

Attachments

BNaks

Dec 6, 2009
Mililani/HI/USA
Name
Brandon
Boat
Baby Hawk
Nice fish and glad you got home safe! The weather sure can get ugly in a hurry. Good to know that your boat can handle if it has to....

the_codfather

Sep 30, 2009
Bluewater
Name
Leon
Boat
19' Micronesia Marine Pilothouse, 'ONO'
Variable just means they don't know what the fuck its going to be. Coud be glass or nukin. Glad you made it back safe, I hate it when trips end like that. Nothing worse than a cold wet slog back home. The rinse helps with the clean-up though!

MANAPUA MAN

May 10, 2009
HONOLULU HAWAII
Name
CAPPY
Boat
23' TROPHY W/A "KEKILIA"
I did the same thing..... Went by weather report and decided to go out on the windward side. Going out in the a.m. was great water....sped out to "U" drop lines and started fishing..... No Love.
Ran over to "LL" and found bird piles and hooked up six Aku rats.....Then weather started turning "Victory at Sea" with winds coming straight at us from Oahu.
Decided to tuck in close the island and use mountains as a break.
Bad mistake.....winds were more intense closer to the island.
Used the deep water chanel by "China Man's Hat" and still got beat up going into head sea and high winds.
Even inside K-Bay was sloppy.....
Destroyed my hair, lost my devil may care, James Bondish look, I hate when that happens.........but main thing had blood in the box.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
I did the same thing..... Went by weather report and decided to go out on the windward side. Going out in the a.m. was great water....sped out to "U" drop lines and started fishing..... No Love.
Ran over to "LL" and found bird piles and hooked up six Aku rats.....Then weather started turning "Victory at Sea" with winds coming straight at us from Oahu.
Decided to tuck in close the island and use mountains as a break.
Bad mistake.....winds were more intense closer to the island.
Used the deep water chanel by "China Man's Hat" and still got beat up going into head sea and high winds.
Even inside K-Bay was sloppy.....
Destroyed my hair, lost my devil may care, James Bondish look, I hate when that happens.........but main thing had blood in the box.
Hey Cappy, good going on your catch! :shithappens: , I thought I was the only crazy one out there....didn't see a single boat where I was all day! When I got back to Hi Kai I was one of only 3 trailers left in the parking lot. Days like this really makes you pay the price on a small boat! Glad you got in safely with blood in the box! Happy New Year.

molokaipake

May 8, 2008
Kaunakakai, Molokai, USA
Name
capt clay
Boat
24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
Getting home safe is always something to be thankful for no matter the size of the boat. Guess the NOAA guys have to change the coin that they flip to make up the weather report one of these days, or better yet find out who the guy or person is and invite them to go out with you so they can get a first hand experience of their prediction, that oughta wake them up.

Glad you got a bunch of nice fish, make me jealous, wish I had a nice aku to eat for sashimi. Maybe I can get out this week to fish for myself, as so far have no reservations for the coming week and the weather is supposed to be "variables" all week.

GrouchyIfNoGo

Nov 29, 2009
Mililani
Name
Ryan
Boat
17 ft. Alii Kai "Jean M"
Hey Russ glad to hear you made it home safe and with awesome sashimi to boot. I used to have a 15 ft. arima too, great little boat. Hard to find a 15 footer that is any better.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Getting home safe is always something to be thankful for no matter the size of the boat. Guess the NOAA guys have to change the coin that they flip to make up the weather report one of these days, or better yet find out who the guy or person is and invite them to go out with you so they can get a first hand experience of their prediction, that oughta wake them up.

Glad you got a bunch of nice fish, make me jealous, wish I had a nice aku to eat for sashimi. Maybe I can get out this week to fish for myself, as so far have no reservations for the coming week and the weather is supposed to be "variables" all week.
You go Russ!!!!!!!!!!!!! miss you and the gang on the islands.
Nice fish and glad you got home safe! The weather sure can get ugly in a hurry. Good to know that your boat can handle if it has to....
Thank you for the kind words everyone! Hope you all start your new year off with a Big Bang!

Capt Clay, Wish I could make it out to Molokai this coming week, especially since you got no charters booked. I hope you fine the mother lode to start the new year off right! Pray for nice weather because I have lost all faith in the National Weather(NOAA).

Happy New Year Pierre! I was wondering why I haven't heard much from you lately. When are you going to be back in town? Give me a shout and lets' plan something!

Hey Brandon, thanks! Now I know how much the boat can handle...sometimes its not the boat but the fisherman! Good going on your catch and go get em in 2010....Hanapa'a!!!!

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Here is what some of that Aku was used for....Aku Poke, Spicy Aku, Tekamaki Sushi (with Aku), and Aku sashimi! I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable New Years celebration.....now can concentrate on fishing without the holiday hassles!

Attachments

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Nice spread Russ. Happy New Years and wishing you a fruitful 2010! Way to bring home some sash for the new year.

drew2578

Feb 3, 2008
Kalaheo, Kauai
Name
Analu
Boat
19ft.
Hey Russ those grinds stay making my mouth water! What is your recipe for the spicy aku? or you going have to kill me if you tell me? ;)

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Nice spread Russ. Happy New Years and wishing you a fruitful 2010! Way to bring home some sash for the new year.
Dig them Hello Kitty spoons. :-] Nice dinner.
Hey Russ those grinds stay making my mouth water! What is your recipe for the spicy aku? or you going have to kill me if you tell me? ;)
Hey Alan,
Thanks! Wishing you and your family all the best in 2010! I hope your dream boat is just around the corner.....I like go fishing with you so you can teach me how to fish!:) BTW, How old is your baby? Do you folks still need some formula?

K,
Those Hello Kitty spoons(stole them from my daughter) are perfect size for scoop the fish into my temaki sushi! Happy New Year and wishing the fish box always comes home with fish!

Analu,
When I make my Spicy Tuna (Ahi/Aku) I usually go by taste so I'll list the ingredients first then try to put it into approximate quantities....
1 pound of Ahi, Aku, Ono or marlin cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1-2t - Sriracha Sauce*
2-3T - Tobiko (flying fish eggs)
2T - Sesame oil
1t - togarashi (japanese red chili pepper)
1/2t - La yu (chili oil)
1/2T-mayonaise *
salt to taste
* - start with less and add to taste, especially the mayo.
Mix all ingredients together and serve on sushi rice wrapped with nori(nigiri) or in a hand roll(temaki). You're probably going to have to play with it to suite your taste, but should need very little tweeking. Hope you enjoy this recipe...supposed to come close to Genki Sushi's Spicy Tuna.

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Russ, good going on your catch, and thanks for posting your recipe for spicy tuna. I'm going to try this when I can get out and hopefully bag a few akus or shibis. BTW, how do you like the Isenglass on your boat? I'm thinking about making some kind of set up for my boat. Tight lines, Jimmy

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Russ, good going on your catch, and thanks for posting your recipe for spicy tuna. I'm going to try this when I can get out and hopefully bag a few akus or shibis. BTW, how do you like the Isenglass on your boat? I'm thinking about making some kind of set up for my boat. Tight lines, Jimmy
Jimmy, I actually made my own plastic windshield from heavy grade plastic sheeting that I found at City Mill a few years ago. I got the Arima in 1993 and for over 12 years fished without a windshield and would get soaking wet on almost every fishing trip. I finally got tired of getting wet and decided to put one of these plastic windshields up about 4 years ago. Since making my windshield I can fish in winder and rougher conditions which allowed me to fish places like Hi Kai and Kaneohe without getting wet! The best part besides staying dry is the cost of making it....approximately $25.00 + time. Care involves polishing it with car polish(to make the water bead and keeps the plastic nice and clear. You do need to wash off the salt and wipe it down with a dry soft cloth to avoid spotting and having the plastic turn cloudy. Oh, I put grommets on the plastic windshield and on my bimini top and use bungie cords with the ball at one end to attach the windshield to my bimini top. It's not professional looking but it is definitely functional!

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Russ, Very ingenious! (Slap my forehead) I've noticed that plastic sheet at CM, but never dawned on me to take a serious look at using it for a windshield. Thanks! Jimmy