russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Yesterday was a beautiful day on the water..probably too nice! got on the water by 6:00am and headed west along the 40 fathom until Diamond Head buoy - nobody was home on the ledge so I started out into the channel and initially headed toward HH buoy but remembered that I had brought my BF rig so I changed directions and headed toward the Knuckles(Honolulu side of the Banks). Managed to pick up a 15 lb. Mahi just as I was approaching the ledge. I noticed that there was some wind and the water was a little bumpier than I would have liked for bottomfishing so I continued to troll and followed the 40 fathom ledge south for a while. While I was zigaging along I took a triple Ono strike and managed to land two with the one on my long center rigger coming off. No more strikes on the ledge so I decided to head back to the channel and look for open schools while making my way back to Hi Kai. About 1.5 miles later my portside rigger came down and my Penn 80 started screaming out line like it was in free spool. With less than 1/4 spool left and the marlin dancing off in the distance my rod suddenly went limp...line broke! Bummer! :cussing: All the way back to the boat ramp (over 10 miles) there were virtually no birds, no trash, and no more strikes. Over all looked like the action was kind of dead, especially inside on the ledge out to 12 miles in the channel in either direction. Maybe the fish was further out? :confused: Oh well, at least I was able to get some kaukau fish!

Attachments

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Flat calm, blood on the deck and fish in the box; way to go Russell. Bummer on the Blue devil but what the hell you are eating some mighty tasty critters...
Pat

dausualinc

Nov 25, 2008
Honolulu
Name
Kekoa
Boat
30' Knife
Nice Catch! I was out there in the same area yesterday. I left monday night @0000hrs Caught a few akule in front of Ke'ehi then took them out live to HH. Water was gorgeous. Got to HH @0400 set my chute and started a palu line. no action, very few Ika. couldn't get a bite on live akule on the surface or down deep. Bummers my delusions of granduer were just that. ran out to P bouy, lots of birds, mahis on the surface, lots of sharks, marks down deep. Mahis were kind of finicky but manged to get a few, lost the biggest one at the boat (of course). Had a few big sharks get hooked and had a few boat side. video to follow. Got some nice sized akus on bait but couldn't get them trolling. Thank god for bait. Trolled all the way home but got no love on the trolling gear. Over all great day to be on the water.

captdon1

Jun 4, 2009
kaneohe, hi.
Name
don
Boat
33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
nice flat water, and some ono's / mahi, not to mention da screamer, does'nt
get any better than that good job russell,:2gunsfiring_v1:
aloha captdon

mpwvp

May 26, 2009
Honolulu,HI
Name
Masho !!
Boat
18'Larson CC Lani Wai
Sounds like a "Awesome Day" to me Russ, Good going on the catch you got yesterday. The water was real nice off of Portlock.

Aloha,

Masho

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Nice flat water day fish for sure. Glad you got to get out there this week. Thanks for the report.

Boatrob

Got fish?
Aug 25, 2009
Kailua/Oahu/Hawaii
Name
Rob
Boat
26' Glacierbay twin Honda 150's "KUA"
great day for sure!!! wish i could have been off to fish Kaneohe side. Really love those calm days when you don't have to worry about getting beat up.
nice catch