Hi Kai - Honolulu side of the Banks

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by russell kato, Apr 5, 2012.

1. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Finally got to take a day off and have the winds cooperate enough to get out on the water without getting my @$$ kicked! My buddy Norm met at my place at 5:30am, got in the water about 6:30am and made our way to the "Knuckles". Got to the Banks at about 8:00 and I could count the number of birds on one hand.....not a good sign. :( Ran down pass the first knuckle and finally Portside outrigger takes a strike but no can pop the clip...ends up to be a 12lb mahi..hooray!! No whitewash! Continued running down toward the Tip of the banks and just pass the 3rd knuckle the center rigger pops and line starts to come off my Penn 80 slowly...at least little bigger than the first strike. Turns out to be a 26lb. Ono, alrightee! Put the Ono in the bag, cleaned up and got the lines back out. About 15-20 minutes later the center rigger comes down again....another Ono this time 27lbs. The day is starting to look pretty good! Made a few more passes in the area but no more takers so continued down the ledge toward the Tip. About 45 minutes late my starboard outrigger comes down and a nice 16lb. Mahi finds it's way into the bag. Finally see our first open school and get a 10-12lb Mahi in the boat...administered atleast 6-10 deathly pounding with the bat and freaken Mahi came back to life jumped over my gunnel and into the deep blue! :hali_parkutuli: WTF! Oh well, gotta just keep looking for more! Went down to about 19.5 miles from the Harbor, saw Maggie Joe coming up from the Tip so decided to turn around and head back home on the ledge....found another bird pile and starboard outrigger comes down....a 6lb. shibi joins the others in the bag. Hoping for more blind strikes..I kept running the knuckles ledge back closer to Hi-Kai. A short while later came into another bird pile and Portside outrigger comes down but no stuck! The rest of the 11 mile journey back to the harbor was uneventful and got back to the dock at 5:00pm. Didn't quite load em up..but gotta be happy that we had some fish and was a beautiful day spent on the water! In one of the photos, I looked kind of wasted....lack of sleep! I included a picture that one of my friends had taken of my dingy while fishing at Hi Kai.

Attached Files:

2. opeluhunter

opeluhunter Newbie

Name:
    Jdub
    Boat:
    Charlie Sea
    thanks for the report,
    nice to see the ono are starting to show

3. nodrama

nodrama Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    Russel and Crew, nice catch, happy for you that you got to go out and catch fish!!!

4. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Had to laugh when you told me the mahi jumped out of the boat. They must be taking lessons from the cockroaches and making believe they're dead. The last few mahis we got were like that too. Seems like I beat the heck out of them and they would just lie there and the minute you turned your back they go crazy. Glad those onos are finally showing, hope they make their way to the west side.

5. changboy

changboy Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    "PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
    Looks like an action packed day good going on the on Ono's!

6. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Russ and Norm,
    Nice variety there Mr Kato; glad to see a report from ya... Good goin' on the fish! Like the pic of your ride.

Cheers
    Pat

7. Hagimogi

Hagimogi Newbie

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    17' Alii Kai "Hagimogi"
    Nice catch Russ. Ono sashimi and panko mahi sounds so Ono.

8. Morris Lures

Morris Lures Pirate

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    FORCE 21
    Good going Russell. Looks like you had a good action day. I hope we start to see some Ono soon on the west side. That's my favorite and I'm just waiting lol.

9. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Russ and crew, good going on the ono/mahis! Too bad on that one mahi, but you did get a good haul! Congrats...

10. hanapaakikijo

hanapaakikijo Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    21 Saltwater
    Russ,
    Good going ! Glad you got a break in the weather to get out there and slay'um!

11. Happy Endings

Happy Endings Captain

Name:
    Happy Endings
    Boat:
    "Something Clever" 2008 24' BW, 240 Outrage
    Russell - Good going....glad to see action in HK!

12. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Newbie

Name:
    Capt Bob
    Boat:
    Lady M
    Good going Russ on your ono's and mahi's nice catch:2gunsfiring_v1:

13. hb1111

hb1111 Newbie

Name:
    skipper
    Boat:
    wanna be
    good going !!!

14. hawaiian hammer

hawaiian hammer Googan

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' Thunderbird
    Russell,
    Good for you. You did great. You were able to get in the ocean and run your boat and had fun. Thats a gratifying day. Keep it up
    aloha

15. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Skipper - Thanks!

Ryan - Thanks! Really thankful that the weather gave me a chance to be out on the water and fishing!
    Steven - Unreal. I've done this hundreds of times before and never had a Mahi "come back from the dead" and jump back into the ocean! The Onos were a nice surprise....been waiting for them.

Brian - Thanks! Congrats on your good sized Mahi.

Dean - Thank you! Nothing beats fresh cooked mahi...sooo moist and ono!
    Nick - Thanks! I was sure hoping for a day like the one you recently had but couldn't find enough fish where I was and no rubbish to help. Luckily I was able to grab a couple of Onos...missed another that same day..must have just started showing up on the south side.
    Jeff- Thank you! Seeing all of your guys catches was enough to motivate me to get out and give it a try. Only problem was waiting til the water was nice enough for my little "dinghy"! One day I'll hopefully be able to upgrade to something a little bigger.

16. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Jdub - With all the mahis coming up recently the Onos were a pleasent surprise!

Pat - Thank you for the kind words! It felt so good to get on the water and catch a some fish. Seems like there are a lot of mahis around but either couldn't stick em or wrong place at the wrong time. Just thankful to have had a break in the wind long enough for me to get out there. Hopefully I'll be seeing you out at Waianae in the coming months...what days do you normally go out? Maybe I can pick up some pointers on how to fish Waianae!
    Jimmy - Thank you! I'm glad the fish started showing up on this side of the island. I actually was thinking about going to Waianae since I heard a bunch of mahis coming up that side, but then I heard some fish coming up this side and the short trailer ride won me over!
    Happy Endings - Thanks! I've been seeing your posts and it's nice to get those reports from Hi Kai side. Between you, Jerry (Volcanic) and Jeff (Hanapaakikijo), you guys inspired me to get out and do some hunting of my own. Nice to see the action has finally picked up on this side.
    Fat Chance - Thank you!

Hawaiian Hammer - Thank you! Considering all the fish people have been catching...I was just hoping that there would be some still hanging around by the time I could get on the water.

17. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    Russ good going on the fish! I had a Mahi do that to me once just a little guy around 15lbs. We found a net first pass got a Mahi, second pass all the reel went triple Ono and double Mahi. Both Mahi's where on the short corners and the first Mahi hit the deck, clubbed it and threw it in the fish bag but never closed it. Brought in the next fish (Mahi) and the one jumped out the bag 6' off the deck slapped me in the face with it's tail literally and landed back in the water:Dynamite:, anyways we got the Ono's and ended up loosing the net water was ugly and never marked it on the GPS.

Everyone has told me a story about a Mahi that jumped off the boat.

Stoked to be back on the water with some nice fish congrats:hali_olutta:

18. captdon1

captdon1 Newbie

Name:
    don
    Boat:
    33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
    :urno1:RUSSEL GOOD GOING ON YOUR CATCH!! SOUNDS LIKE YOU AND STORMIN NORMAN HAD AN ACTION PACKED TRIP, THANKS FOR THE REPORT!!

ALOHA CAPTDON

19. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Nice trip, Russ! Good action. Too bad about the jumper.

20. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    JB - Thanks! I quess I under estimated those mahis! Next time there will be no "jumpers"! Go get em on Kauai...sounds like you guys got some early ahis around.

Eh Captdon,
    Thanks for the kind words! Wish I could have caught more but still working on my "fishing skills". Good luck to you this season!
    Pupule - Thank you! Was nice to have a little action, catch some fish and enjoy the nice sea conditions. That's the first and hopefully the last time I lose a mahi like that!