Hi Kai - 4/20/11

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by russell kato, Apr 22, 2011.

1. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Got another late start....dropped in the water at 10:00am and headed for the Banks. Kinda disappointed with the lack of birds, flat water and lack of strikes. As soon as I got on to the Banks I took my first strike, a 10-12lb. mahi that ripped off before getting into the boat.:shithappens: Oh well, I'm thinking still early...no worries! Soon after, same outrigger comes down, small kine knockdown, ends up being a 3lb. Barracuda...s**t...let em go.:shithappens: Not bad, at least small kine action, thinking the best is yet to come! Took another strike, again on the same lure but no hook up. There was no more love for me on the banks so I turned back and headed harbor. Somewhere about the mid-channel (6 miles from the harbor) found some nice current lines and took another solid wack on the outrigger but s**t rubba hook action! Oh well, now its almost 5:00pm and I am looking at a big bolohead day - no ways ...gotta play the ledge for that mercy bite! I changed out my lures and put out the "Ono" menu and start my truck down the 40 fathom toward Kahala. No more than 15 minutes later my two outriggers pops and "hanapa'a"... double! Hurray:lux:!!!! I end up with a a pair of decent sized Mahis and this mercy bite saves the day! I got back to the harbor at 5:45pm and just happy to have caught something today. Not a whole lot to show for the day (especially when some other guys still slaying the fish)..must have not gone to the right spot:finger:.

Attached Files:

2. 808shorecaster

808shorecaster Member

Can't complain too much, Got good food on the table considering the late start.

3. Pupule

Pupule Member

Name:
    Todd
    Boat:
    22 ft Islander
    Good one, Russ! Not bad on the action, with six strikes out there and two fish in the boat. Fresh fish for dinner; can't beat that!

4. jd808

jd808 Newbie

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    24' Alii Kai "Goose"
    Hey Russ,

Glad you got to get out there. Congrats on your two mercy mahi. Happy Easter.

Aloha,
    JD

5. volcanic

volcanic Newbie

Name:
    Jerry Meredith
    Boat:
    26, Striper, Malia Linda
    Hey Russ, we were out on the banks yesterday. I swear we caught and release that same kaku! Our report on the day should be up shortly ...kiwi808 was out with me and he said he would write up our little adventure to the banks. By the way, our friend on a wave runner got a couple small mahi and a 90 lb. Striped Marlin on the portlock ledge...fought it for two hours before boating....I mean rescue sledding it. He wanted to make sure that it didn't come in green so he took his time.

6. AKEMI TOO

AKEMI TOO Member

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    21 Seaswirl Stripper W/A
    Nice mahis, you're doing alright with these late starts, maybe I should try it too. I thought maybe after the banks you would go to your diamond head pinnacle, seems like you got that place wired. Maybe try the west side on sunday hope I can get some fish too.

7. patfishhi

patfishhi Registered User

Name:
    Pat
    Boat:
    32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
    Russ,
    Good goin' on a couple of nice mahi; fish in the box, time on the water sounds like a dream come true!

Cheers
    Pat

8. Morris Lures

Morris Lures Pirate

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    FORCE 21
    Good job saving the bolohead way to go Russ.

9. JimmyK

JimmyK Fisherman wannabe

Name:
    JimmyK
    Boat:
    17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
    Hi Russ, good going on your mahis! Good way to end the day...

10. ahi lawaia

ahi lawaia Member

Name:
    CP
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Conquest 21
    Hey Russ - You sure you ain't in the banking business instead of pharmaceuticals? Your banker's hours short days been paying off for you. Even if you get no love early, the powers that be been bailing you out with the mercy bite, just like the government went bail out the big banks. Good going on your catch!

11. JROLAND

JROLAND "Wings of Lightning"

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    "007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
    Russ,
    2 fish better than no fish. Good job on the catch and you were only at it for a half day (not bad). Happy Easter.

Joe

12. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Thanks! main thing got something!

Pupule,
    Can't complain ...been bringing home some food for the table and a little to cover for the gas!
    Howzit JD,
    I feel fortunate to be able to have a flexible work schedule that allows me to get some fishing in on short notice. Boy, that late mercy bite was a real blessing!
    Jerry,
    I saw that Jet ski guy on Monday running the 40 fathom in front of Aina Haina.....looked like a ninja fishermanLOL. He must seem to be able to get out pretty often. Good going on that big mahi!
    Hi Steven,
    Thanks for the nice remarks! Seems like those late starts been working okay but don't want to push my luck. Yeah, I was considering going to the DH pinnacle but I was short on time and the Banks sounded like it would have been a good place to go with all those reports of mahis and Onos being caught there. Oh well, I guess every day is different. Good luck to you and look forward to seeing your report shortly.

Howzit Pat,
    Thanks! Always nice to come home with fish in the box! When you see me down at Waianae with a 32' Blackfin that's when my dreams will have come true!

Nick, thanks! Thank goodness for the "Mercy Bites".

Howzit Jimmy, Thank you! How are you feeling? I hope its good enough now that you'll be able to get out and do some serious damage to the fish population!

Courtland, Thanks for the kind words! Wish I had a day on the water like you folks had on Friday then you no need depend on that "mercy bite"!
    Happy Easter to you to! Thank you. Congrats on your 3 mahimahis!

13. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Good job Russ. There's nothing wrong with the mercy bite.

Jonny

14. russell kato

russell kato "Kamoku"

Name:
    russ
    Boat:
    15' Arima - Kamoku
    Hey Jonny,
    Thanks! I gotta admit, those mercy bites can really make your day!