"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Hey Bd'ers,
Been working and traveling and finally decided to make plans to go out from Wednesday night to do some bottomfishing and some trolling when the sun came up. That plan went to hell with the thunder, lightning and torrential rainfall that started around 10:00pm on Wednesday ......so got up on Thursday morning and the weather looked good enough to chance em so I got the boat ready and was able to hit the water by 6:30. I had just finished setting my lines when the portside outrigger came down and "hanapa'a"! In came a nice 36lb. Ono....hurray!!! Not even 7:00am, get blood in the bag and the pressure is off. Made another pass on the ledge by Kahala but no more takers so off I went into the channel and toward the Diamond Head pinnacle. As I got to the area I could see about 6 "whites" circling around and occasionally diving into the water. After a few passes, my corner popped and I managed to bring in a 10 lb. mahi. I dragged a dead opelu around the area as soon as I hooked up but no takers on the bait. I continued on a 240 degree heading and about 30 minutes later picked up another mahi this time a little bigger, just under 20lbs. Another 30 minutes later my center rigger pops and the line starts coming out of the Penn 80 and a Stripey is dancing around on the other end. After fighting the small stripey for about 10 minutes, she gives a good kick and jumps in the air sending my lure and hook in the other direction :shithappens: . Oh well, its now close to 12:00 and started making my way back in early to see a friend off at the airport at 6:45pm. On the way back I came into a couple of nice current lines with rubbish and had a couple more strikes but no hook ups. Can't complain, had a nice day on the water, had a little action and brought some fish back. It's nice to be back on the water!

Attachments

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Russ,
Glad you found enough time to go and chose not to go Wednesday night; spooky. Good goin' on the ono and mahis; nice way to start off the year.

Cheers
Pat

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Russ, welcome back and congrats on a great catch, good way to start off the new year. Hope to catch some of those gray torpedos this year.
Tight lines,

Jimmy

crazyboat

South Shore Fisherman
Aug 20, 2010
Honolulu
Name
Crazyboat
Boat
Crazyboat
Nice going! Good to hear there are some fish around and we may be able to bring home some sashimi. Enjoy your dinner!

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Good run, Russ. It's nice to see that all sides of the island are producing some fish.

fetzerb

BAMF
Jun 1, 2009
Middleburg
Name
Ben
Boat
none at the time
nice haul. good job. thanks for the report. Everyone that is catching fish has been posting some good write ups. Lately there have been a lot of fishing reports which makes bloody decks interesting for all. I wonder if more people are posting now, or is the fishing really that good now?

grander007

Well-Known "Member"
May 10, 2007
Honolulu
Name
zzzz
Boat
46, Bertram, Deep Blue
Good going on that trip! Just saw a stupid commercial by the State about not taking too many fish...our tax dollars at work! As many as you can get on the boat is the right number by me, especially since I am just wrapping up a haul out. As if recreational/ charter / hook & line boats are the problem. What a bunch of idiots spending our tax dollars on prime time tv commercials.

Tight lines,

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Russ,
Glad you found enough time to go and chose not to go Wednesday night; spooky. Good goin' on the ono and mahis; nice way to start off the year.

Cheers
Pat
Thanks Pat. Yeah, better safe than sorry! I sure hope I can get my boat dialed in the way your boat is dialed in on catching fish. Hope to meet you in person someday while fishing at Waianae.

Tightlines,
Russ

Russ, welcome back and congrats on a great catch, good way to start off the new year. Hope to catch some of those gray torpedos this year.
Tight lines,

Jimmy
Hey Jimmy, Thanks for the kind words. You guys were my motivation for going out....kept hearing about the fish coming up at Waianae and wanted to just get out and hook something but didn't want to tow all the way down to Waianae. I'm glad I had a little action come my way.

Russ

Nice going! Good to hear there are some fish around and we may be able to bring home some sashimi. Enjoy your dinner!
Thanks! Fishing has definitely picked up but the best is yet to come...give it another couple weeks or so.

Russ

Good catch Russ. Glad to see you got back out there.

Aloha,
JD
Howzit JD, Long time no see. Have you been fishing? Thanks for the kind words.....Glad to be back on the water catching!
Go get 'um,
Russ

Good run, Russ. It's nice to see that all sides of the island are producing some fish.
Hi Pupule,
Thanks, I was hoping Hi Kai would have some action....I knew Waianae was pretty decent with shibi, mahi, and SNSF. Wish I had caught the Stripey...Oh well!

Russ

nice haul. good job. thanks for the report. Everyone that is catching fish has been posting some good write ups. Lately there have been a lot of fishing reports which makes bloody decks interesting for all. I wonder if more people are posting now, or is the fishing really that good now?
Fetzerb, Thanks, I think the action is slowly starting to get better and the Auction Block reports coincide with that. Just a couple of weeks ago the reports from the auction block for trolling drop offs were really sad ( it got so bad that I heard there was only a couple of Mahis dropped off for the entire auction that one day).

Russ

Good catch, especially that nice ono. It's great when the fish cooperate right away and take the pressure off.

Jonny
Hey Jonny,
Mahalos! That is definitely a rajah!

Russ

Way to go Russ!

Cute dog too!

bob
Bob, Thanks! You're always great about keeping me informed about whats happening...really appreciate it. Hope I can start returning the favor and getting fish for you.

Russ

Good going on that trip! Just saw a stupid commercial by the State about not taking too many fish...our tax dollars at work! As many as you can get on the boat is the right number by me, especially since I am just wrapping up a haul out. As if recreational/ charter / hook & line boats are the problem. What a bunch of idiots spending our tax dollars on prime time tv commercials.

Tight lines,
Hey Grander007, I second your opinion! Rajah that!
Mahalos,
Russ

Morris Lures

Pirate
Feb 17, 2010
Mililani, Hawaii
Name
Nick
Boat
FORCE 21
Glad to see your back Russ. Good going now you got to go make some spicy ono its winners.

TRICKY RICKY

Jan 11, 2007
Where Ever
Name
Rick
Boat
22 ft Hydra Sport Tricky Ricky
Good job Russ, I think your dog needs to relax a little bit more!HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Peace.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Glad to see your back Russ. Good going now you got to go make some spicy ono its winners.
Hey Nick,
Thanks for the kind words and you already read my mind on the spicy Ono.....not as good as spicy Ahi but it'll do!

Good job Russ, I think your dog needs to relax a little bit more!HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Peace.
Tricky Ricky,
Mahalos! I guess my catch didn't impress him at all!!!!:rofl:

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Way to go Russ,Good to see you got in the water and on some fish !Aloha Al
Howzit Al,
Thanks for the kind words. Wish I got out to Kaneohe......looks like had some action on your side of the rock! Oh well, there is always next time! When are you going out and slay some fish?

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Howzit Russ, haven't heard from you in a while. Sounds like things are picking up with the trolling. good going on your fish. Howz the bottom bite been? Better get at it before it closes.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Way to go Russ! Isnt it great to have blood in the box early. Gotta love it! Tight lines, J
Jensen,
Thanks for the the kind words! Nothing better than to start out your day with the first fish in the bag right after setting your lines! Wish it was that way all the time!

Excellent
Gregg,
Mahalos!

Howzit Russ, haven't heard from you in a while. Sounds like things are picking up with the trolling. good going on your fish. Howz the bottom bite been? Better get at it before it closes.
Howzit Al,
Yeah, it sure has been a long time since I last spoke to you! How's the family? Have you been going out fishing? My bottomfishing has been okay....not great.....just enough to eat and small kind give away (my depth recorder is not that good for serious bottomfishing). It looks like the trolling is starting to pick up a bit and makes it a little harder to decide what kind of fishing to do when the conditions are flat and no wind. Its a little easier decision to just go trolling with a trade wind condition. Thanks for the kind words. BTW, how is your boat coming along? I would love to take a look at it one day. Call me and lets catch up!