HI Fishing charters

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by aguachico, Jul 31, 2006.

1. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    P-14 "Debbie Ann"
    Doesn't look like much of a question to me- in fact, it seems intended to ruffle a few feathers.

Sorry about the Grander count- Capt. Jeff says at least 5 on his latest report (7-29) and I counted Kiyomi's Oahu grander earlier in March. He may or may not be counting Vander Hoek's release of a fish estimated at over a grand? Clarification???

Oh, and for the record: it's Haole (how-lay). The H-word and I go waaay back to when I used to get my ass kicked in middle school.

Jager and Noel, Shack Tourney Report- wha' happen?

2. bertram31

bertram31 Member

Name:
    Jack
    Boat:
    Polaris Supreme
    Yo John, threadjack here, shack tourney all blow and no go LOL

threadjack over

Jack

3. SAGE

SAGE .

Name:
    shitball
    Boat:
    Stringari
    i like live bait and circle hooks with rings

4. Griz

Griz Leave no survivors

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    42' Uniflite, Foxy Lady
    Like here. http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43713

For me it all depends on how the potential charter inquiry goes. If the person has honest questions and or issues and is willing to listen to how/why we do things the way we do, everyone usually goes away happy. They might not end up fishing. But at least they didn't fish and then feel ripped off. It's all about communication. I know if I was paying $500 - $700++ for something I'd want to know what I was getting.

5. SAGE

SAGE .

Name:
    shitball
    Boat:
    Stringari
    You hit the nail on the head, communication. I'm surprised that the people who go there & fish are that taken back by it. I personally have hear quite a bit about it , and made sure to broch the issue when checking for charters on Maui. But at the end of the day it didn’t matter, how are you going to eat 20-30lbs of Ahi or Ono in a week while traveling abroad … it’s probably just going to go bad. Or if you feel you would finish it then I’m sure the Capt. will work with ya’ rather than pass up a charter.
    No question about it, operating costs in HI are astronomical so it's no wonder you have to make money where you can. ….. the price you pay to live/fish in Paradise i guess.

6. Griz

Griz Leave no survivors

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    42' Uniflite, Foxy Lady
    "Oh. Man we LOVE fish! We'll take as much as we can get!"

4 days later.. "Oh. Hey this is Sage from Monday. We still have a ton of fish in the fridge and are leaving in a few hours. It's not gonna fit in our luggage. What should we do?"

Take the fillets down to the ocean and gently move them through the water until they are revived and swim away...MOTHER FUCKER!!! Well that's what I want to say.

Instead I tell them that they just wasted a living creature for absolutely no reason. A fish that should have died to feed someone or helped us pay a bill and stay in business.

Why did you wait until right before you were leaving to call me? "Dude... We are on vacation Bro."

Cool man, tell that to the 15 pounds of rotting wasted fish in your trash can.

7. TomTurtle

TomTurtle Newbie

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Ocean Kayak Drifter
    my catch = my dinner --- if the crew kick ass and we have plenty I share, but who in their right mind pays $800 to charter a boat and walks away empty handed after bloodydecks all day?slap:

8. aguachico

aguachico I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Art
    Boat:
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Do you see the ? mark.... Yes. good. DS.

We can let this thread die. The question was answered. Yes they keep the fish. Yes they share the fish. The reasoning is a bit cloudy, but fuck it. It's just meat. It's not like drugs or pussy.

Back to fishing.

AC

9. Griz

Griz Leave no survivors

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    42' Uniflite, Foxy Lady
    The guy who walks away empty handed is the guy who is staying somewhere that won't cook fish for him or dosen't want to hassle with storing fish on his vacation. He's also usually the same guy who is stoked with the all action he had and double stoked that he paid 1/2 of what a 6 pac boat costs him most other places. That's who.

No long runs, no limits and the chance of fighting a huge fish. That's why most people fish here

10. Smudge

Smudge Moderate

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    I'm just a deckhand...
    Come on Jesse, you know you're just a mean old charter boat captain, sitting around waiting to rip off the next tourist, take all his money and sell all his fish, without a care in the world because they'll be gone next week, never to return....:rofl: :rofl:

People kill me sometimes on here. Just because they do things differently elsewhere in the world doesn't mean it's wrong. We're so narrow minded and pampered here. That's not always a bad thing, just one of the rarely appreciated benifits of being an American.

Oh well. When ever I finally make it out there, Jesse, I'll try to come fishing with you and we'll cut up an Ahi, break out the wasabi and afterwards I wanna watch you sell the rest just to see how much money a badass fisherman like myself can make(JOKE)!!:rofl:

11. Spyder

Spyder There Can Be Only One....

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    COBRA FISH & DIVE
    Oh yeah, well I heard that in Greenland when you charter a boat you pay up front, you stay on the dock, they leave and go fishing then come back and show you pictures of the fish you would have caught. :rofl:

12. Griz

Griz Leave no survivors

Name:
    Jesse
    Boat:
    42' Uniflite, Foxy Lady
    C'mon down. I bet you got some great stories. It's nice change to be entertained and not have to be the entertainer.

13. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    P-14 "Debbie Ann"
    Fishing is great!

14. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    cancelled out on the shack tourny looked like a hurricane out there and they were having a paddleboard race from molokai to hawaii kai. noel and i tried to fish with don out of heia keia and even that was blown out, whitecaps next to the dock!!!! it was more than likely going to be our last day of fishing for a long long time and fate was a bastard that day. on a lighter note those local boys were all teary eyed that i had to take off and made me some good luck lures, i'll never get over local generosity.

15. MidwayJ

MidwayJ Newbie

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    P-14 "Debbie Ann"
    Rajah- I noticed that "the sea was angry that day" as George Costanza would put it. Nothing like south swell mixed with heavy trades mixed with leftover east swell from the hurricane.

If we don't fish before you leave, you guys take it easy over there. Aloha- John

16. Cap Jeff Rogers

Cap Jeff Rogers Fish Abuser

Name:
    Capt. Jeff Rogers
    Boat:
    Aloha kai
    1) Caught on the Sea Genie
    2) Caught on the Long Ranger
    3) Caught on the Lepika (told the story on my June wrap-up report)
    4) Tagged and released on the Sea Genie (yes, he knows what one looks like. I'll take his word for it.)
    5) Caught on the Sundowner

I guess Kiyomi's grander (didn't hear about it) would make it 6.

I'm still waiting for another shot at one. I've only had 3 on that were easily a grand and didn't get any. 2 while I was crewin' for my dad in the 80's and never came close to stopping them. 1 while the wife and I were out by ourselves about 4 years ago. She fought it for about 10 minutes. Doing good with it but then pulled hook. :nopity:

Capt. Jeff

17. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    capt jeff your my hero!!! when i get back home i'm looking you up to go fishing. every website i can find about hawaii fishing your on with your monthly report on how tings are, you truly bring professionalism to hawaii fishing. aloha.

18. captjim

captjim Konakeenan

Name:
    Jim Keenan
    Boat:
    28' Skipjack !! Shazam !!
    I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read. Below is a copy/paste of the headlines in last Monday Rizzuto column. I think you are correct Jeff.
    KONA'S THIRD GRANDER OF 2006

The story of Kona's third grander of 2006, caught last Thursday on the Sundowner, comes with an odd twist.

"It was all about the bananas," said deckhand Agnes Nulle.
    For the full story go to:
    http://www.fishinghawaiioffshore.com/

19. cvjarrod

cvjarrod Freshie

Name:
    Jarrod
    Boat:
    24 Diesel Skipjack Flybridge
    Kailua is the only harbor on the protected side for the bigger charter boats.

It's 1 mile from Wahoo alley, 2 Miles from Marlin Alley and 3 miles from Tuna alley and 4 miles from the nearest FAD (Where you catch small skipjack for bait).

Most charters won't tell you the closer to land's end you get (the south tip of Kona), the better the fishing is. Most of the time they'll never get more than ten miles from the harbor.

A 36-40 foot boat running from Kailua will burn less gass than we would on a 24 foot boat on a typical tuna run and they don't have any live bait expense. They also pay a lot less than we do in San Diego for slip fees.

I'd rather rent a center console for the day and run it myself. Costs about 350-400, but you run where the fish are, not where the captain can maximize profits. You have to bring your own gear, but I wouldn't want to fish with someone else's gear anyways.

I'll be there from August 15-23rd.

Bottom line is they are charging just the right amount, which is whatever the market will handle.

20. Hirize

Hirize Castaway in Kona

Name:
    Pete
    Boat:
    Boat-less

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????