Hey, Is the last Huge Red Tide causing local fish counts to dive from San Diego up to Newport?

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Local sportboats in SD often dont target YT due to the overabundance of sea lions.

Almost impossible to get a bait away from the boat nevermind a YT through the gauntlet.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    If the counts are in fact down, it is most likely has to do with the CV shut down, and the loss of the kelp.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    @mutu0069 I think he was talking about non pelagic's, like bass. 👍

""...non pelagic species per angler since then. "

Upvote 0

Efishnsea

Teaching kids how to fish
    Aug 2, 2007
    Covina, Ca
    Name
    Ed Efishnsea
    Boat
    21' Boston Whaler Outrage, + Kayaks--looking for 205 Conquest
    @mutu0069 I think he was talking about non pelagic's, like bass. 👍

""...non pelagic species per angler since then. "
    Guys,
    I've been taking my Grandkids and their friends out to some the local stones from 40' to up to 75' of water that normally produce Calicos and Sheephead quickly / and Sand Bass just off of the stones in great numbers, but not much on the Meter for the last Year and a half-just a few here and there, not like it was before the heavy red tides coincidently,
    Honestly, the best fishing has come from the back of my boat at the dock catching unlimited Opaleye and the Occasional Garibaldi which we release right away which keeps the kids excited and interested
    - I was just wondering if you guys are having the same issues?

Upvote 0

rodngun762

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 12, 2005
    Name
    Boat
    What would the bloom of red tide plankton (a large event, to be sure... but relatively short duration) have to do with decrease in fish being caught? I don't recall any die offs associated with it?

Some red tides I believe are harmful and toxic... I'm not sure the one last year was.

Hard to really make any determinations in the ocean....so many random variables are unaccountable. We may find lots of correlations but few concrete causations.

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0