Hey folks first post, looking to build some striper rods to start.

The American Tackle Company

kingston

Apr 16, 2017
New York
Name
Trevor
Boat
Lund 1800 Fisherman
I fish the annual striped bass run in the Hudson River. Currently I run Okuma Classic Pro GLX rods, I am constantly battling with the crappy reel seat coming loose and inserts breaking. I run downriggers, planer boards, live bait, and would like to do some surface plugging when the conditions are right. My downrigger, planer board, and live bait rods I would like to build out of fiberglass or a combo just because they are so hard to damage. The plugging rods would likely have to be graphite for casting large plugs and working the lure back. I like running a slow action rod in the downriggers so I can get a big long parabolic bend in them when attached to the release. The planer board rods would need a fairly soft tip and some good backbone a little earlier in the blank. Same goes for the live bait rods which will have Okuma avenger 6000 series bait runners. The downrigger and planer board rods will have 45 size line counters on them. Does anyone have any suggestions for budget blanks for these applications? I would like to be able to land fish fairly quickly to increase my chance of a great release. I am going to run aluminum locking reel seats on everything. I was thinking of getting the CRB SSR double foot guides to save some weight and money they seem to get good reviews and stand up to braid. Thank you everyone in advance for your replies!

Upvote 0

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
Feb 15, 2012
FC Colorado
Name
Matt Riddell
Boat
Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
When they're for striper, call 'em "poles", not rods. "Striper poles" in a thread title will get you a lot more views.

Upvote 0

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
When they're for striper, call 'em "poles", not rods. "Striper poles" in a thread title will get you a lot more views.
Don't be telling people that! He's going to put reel seats and guides on them, so they are not poles. A pole is a willow stick with a string tied on the tip.

Although I don't have any knowledge about your striper fishery I have built a number of down rigger rods for salmon, so I understand what you're looking for there. I just got a CRB jigging blank that I think might meet your needs. Model number CBVJ7050. Seven foot for 30-50 pound lines. I got in it an attempt to find a graphite rod that the nimrods can't break by high-sticking while catching tuna. The slower action will stop the breakage and will also work well on the down rigger/planner. They are inexpensive too.

Hotroddin
Hotroddin
Just a joke for those of us who think "stripper" when we see a "striper" thread. Get it? Stripper pole/striper pole? lol
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

kingston

Apr 16, 2017
New York
Name
Trevor
Boat
Lund 1800 Fisherman
I may not be a knowledgable rod builder at this point but the last thing I want to do on a rod building forum for my first post is call them poles. Its high time I tried this anyway. Thank you everyone for the input I will look into all options.

Upvote 0

Doberman

Almost A Member
Feb 19, 2015
Virginia Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
Trident 13
I fish the annual striped bass run in the Hudson River. Currently I run Okuma Classic Pro GLX rods, I am constantly battling with the crappy reel seat coming loose and inserts breaking. I run downriggers, planer boards, live bait, and would like to do some surface plugging when the conditions are right. My downrigger, planer board, and live bait rods I would like to build out of fiberglass or a combo just because they are so hard to damage. The plugging rods would likely have to be graphite for casting large plugs and working the lure back. I like running a slow action rod in the downriggers so I can get a big long parabolic bend in them when attached to the release. The planer board rods would need a fairly soft tip and some good backbone a little earlier in the blank. Same goes for the live bait rods which will have Okuma avenger 6000 series bait runners. The downrigger and planer board rods will have 45 size line counters on them. Does anyone have any suggestions for budget blanks for these applications? I would like to be able to land fish fairly quickly to increase my chance of a great release. I am going to run aluminum locking reel seats on everything. I was thinking of getting the CRB SSR double foot guides to save some weight and money they seem to get good reviews and stand up to braid. Thank you everyone in advance for your replies!
I will suggest contacting the rod builders in your area. Billy Vivona is one of the most knowledgeable guys and he posts in almost every rod building forum on the East Coast.

Upvote 0