Offshore Here's a good read of Escaping earthly reality to enjoy the wet worlds harmony while a sucsseful Scouting mission 1/7

PENN

Phat Boat

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Thanks for the report. They should have AIS on but as said, that's a big radar mark and easy to navigate away from.

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
We were . . . focusing on our radar . . . it almost became a crutch. We relied on more then our instincts. Also mind you we did maneuver past 2 other cruise ships that were not transmitting their AIS. We didn't even get a visual on them.

It is inconceivable that two cruise ships passed you without AIS on. Moreover, if you didn't see them, or their AIS info, how do you know anything was there -- let alone that it was a third, or even second, cruise ship? You must have been relying your instincts to reach that conclusion. Perhaps ignore your instincts in the future and use your tools (even if you consider them crutches).

You might want to begin by practicing with your radar and AIS during the day, in good visibility.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
It is inconceivable that two cruise ships passed you without AIS on. Moreover, if you didn't see them, or their AIS info, how do you know anything was there -- let alone that it was a third, or even second, cruise ship? You must have been relying your instincts to reach that conclusion. Perhaps ignore your instincts in the future and use your tools (even if you consider them crutches).

You might want to begin by practicing with your radar and AIS during the day, in good visibility.
First off There where 3 cruse ships on vesselfinder.com that were stationary in that area. At 5 in the morning when we checked as we were getting ready. And the same three cruise ships were huddled in their exact same positions at the end of the day at 5pm when we checked. If you read the OP you will see my nephew wrote at one point 2 ships were hitting their fog horns. But Only the "Mirical" sat there spinning in circles why? IDK?? But we sat there watching it...all 1,000 feet of her turning clockwise over and over and over agin for hours. And Why the other 2 weren't transponding while they sat there not moving at all? IDK??... Yes we've had a few days in the bay seeing jetskies and little bay boats on our radar in perfectly clear conditions. So Thank you for your very steriotypical jackass BD response of; I know best and "your a bumdass"! Yes there's a lot of kooks out there. But We spend a few hours getting each trip planned out with all the available tools. When you put 12k into brand new electronics. That are completely new to us, a personal guide doesn't happen to join you on every outing you take. Especially when the weather report isn't showing the fog forecast correctly in the slightest. The guys who installed it must to forgot to warn us not to go out that day when I pulled the boat off thier lot a month ago. You know because we're amamature with this new system. I must of missed that memo. But shit the last decade of going out without radar has so far gone without incident. So cheers to you bud..

And a giant DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Reactions: JamesZ
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
So Thank you for your very steriotypical jackass BD response of; I know best and "your a bumdass"! Yes there's a lot of kooks out there. But We spend a few hours getting each trip planned out with all the available tools. When you put 12k into brand new electronics.
Sorry dude, but as impressed as I am that you put $12K into electronics, I was just trying to help you understand that radar isn't a crutch and that your instincts (particularly since they are bereft of relevant experience) are a poor substitute. You have a lot to learn -- that isn't a criticism, we all start out knowing nothing -- but thinking the other dumbasses are kooks but you are not and that those with more experience have nothing of value to say to you, is the kind of attitude that will get you, or worse, your crew killed. The truth is, I didn't post my thoughts just for your benefit -- I suspect there are others who may benefit as well. Similarly, I read posts on topics like this to learn myself. Some guys know more, have more and different experiences than I -- it is easy to learn from them. But understanding the mindset of people like you is also valuable to guys like me. At least I now know that some people will hear a fog horn, in heavy fog, and have no idea what they should do.

I do wish you good luck and safe sailing.

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Thanks for taking a look. Awesome to hear they are still out there. I always wonder this time of year. I don't understand why they don't want to bite well after december though.

A few VERY UNSOLICITED tips.

1. Dont' trust AIS for collsion avoidance.
2. Get out on the boat in broad daylight in the bay and learn to use the radar. All of the new systems have an AUTO mode that works great and will keep you from hitting stuff that will mess you up.
3. There's tons of youtube tutorials for all the new electronics packages. Take an hour and watch a few.

If you have other questions, feel free to DM me and I'll try and help.

I love your stoke, let's just make sure you're safe.

Best of luck amigo.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    We were using radar but the fog was so low it was picking it up everywhere. We were moving slow through this as it went on for miles and miles so we just slowly putted along. But this dam thing kept spinning. Literally just kept spinning in circles so the return was showing it alover the place. Add the fact there where 2 others without their AIS on out there that we passed but did not see.. We were issuing everything we had. But the visibility was just that bad. You can see it on the last picture.
    :confused:

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    First off There where 3 cruse ships on vesselfinder.com that were stationary in that area. At 5 in the morning when we checked as we were getting ready. And the same three cruise ships were huddled in their exact same positions at the end of the day at 5pm when we checked. If you read the OP you will see my nephew wrote at one point 2 ships were hitting their fog horns. But Only the "Mirical" sat there spinning in circles why? IDK?? But we sat there watching it...all 1,000 feet of her turning clockwise over and over and over agin for hours. And Why the other 2 weren't transponding while they sat there not moving at all? IDK??... Yes we've had a few days in the bay seeing jetskies and little bay boats on our radar in perfectly clear conditions. So Thank you for your very steriotypical jackass BD response of; I know best and "your a bumdass"! Yes there's a lot of kooks out there. But We spend a few hours getting each trip planned out with all the available tools. When you put 12k into brand new electronics. That are completely new to us, a personal guide doesn't happen to join you on every outing you take. Especially when the weather report isn't showing the fog forecast correctly in the slightest. The guys who installed it must to forgot to warn us not to go out that day when I pulled the boat off thier lot a month ago. You know because we're amamature with this new system. I must of missed that memo. But shit the last decade of going out without radar has so far gone without incident. So cheers to you bud..

First off, Your not making any friends with the chip on your shoulder. Also, I believe you were the one spinning in circles and not the cruise ships, and you rely on "Vessel Finder" as a navigational aid??? Before you go out and kill some innocent person/persons, I would recommend you take a safety boaters coarse and learn how to properly use your electronics along with listening to some of the knowledge from other BD members trying to help you. This is one of the biggest problems for boating accidents, It's when somebody has more money than brains and I hate to say it, But you fit this description very well!

• Haha
    Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Sorry dude, but as impressed as I am that you put $12K into electronics, I was just trying to help you understand that radar isn't a crutch and that your instincts (particularly since they are bereft of relevant experience) are a poor substitute. You have a lot to learn -- that isn't a criticism, we all start out knowing nothing -- but thinking the other dumbasses are kooks but you are not and that those with more experience have nothing of value to say to you, is the kind of attitude that will get you, or worse, your crew killed. The truth is, I didn't post my thoughts just for your benefit -- I suspect there are others who may benefit as well. Similarly, I read posts on topics like this to learn myself. Some guys know more, have more and different experiences than I -- it is easy to learn from them. But understanding the mindset of people like you is also valuable to guys like me. At least I now know that some people will hear a fog horn, in heavy fog, and have no idea what they should do.

I do wish you good luck and safe sailing.
    First off, Your not making any friends with the chip on your shoulder. Also, I believe you were the one spinning in circles and not the cruise ships, and you rely on "Vessel Finder" as a navigational aid??? Before you go out and kill some innocent person/persons, I would recommend you take a safety boaters coarse and learn how to properly use your electronics along with listening to some of the knowledge from other BD members trying to help you. This is one of the biggest problems for boating accidents, It's when somebody has more money than brains and I hate to say it, But you fit this description very well!
    I'm just going to set something straight right here. As in my description by my name tag. There are 3 anglers that use this profile. Me who is on this site quite frequenlty. And am respectful and usually not all up in people's business. Then there's my brothers who just lurks around for info and kayaking info. Followed last by my old and salty uncle who you guys met in the quote y'all keep quoting. He's a 68 year old SALTY DOG. Who's been on the water since he was 15 and doesn't care about friends. He's not to kind in general to anybody. We've all 3 got boats. And use the profile to all check in on fishdope we get yearly. After reading his reply(quote) I kinda let him have it. As I don't want that attitude on this profile. So I apologize on his behalf MYNomad.
    But then came the last response which I mean I understand where your coming from Kevina, I do! But yes he uses vessel finder to check where the fleets generalized location is, yes it's a good tool. Not a navigation aid, that's just silly. There's nothing wrong with that tool. But before that, you go and say it was us who was spinning and not the cruise ship, as tho you know more then we do.. And that we must be that dumb for not knowing what we were even seeing. This is a perfect reason for a response like his in general.. We sat there watching it spin. And for you to tell us that we were wrong is just ignorant. We watched it spin in the fog and then once the fog lifted. We watched it spin. Sonetimes to its port then sometimes to its starboard. Sometimes partial spins sometime complete 360's over and over agin. Why?? we don't know. (Probably a system issue) But one thing I do know, as do you is when your drifting on a patty. You never drift there spinning. While on a patty. We stood there on the stern watching that big boat spin. Haven't you ever seen a large naval ship turn or spin?. I'm sure you have.
    Cheers fellas. This is another great reason why I don't report anything. The less opinions the better. I understand why more and more guys are going silent and just lurking

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    When I'm stationary, my plotter will occasionally do a spin till I get underway. It's normal for the unit. What you were looking at may be a similar action.

• Sad
    Reactions: Croaker.Stroker
    Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    It's all good.

Can I have you Fishdope password too?

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Honestly from the beginning of writing it started lagging jumping deleting adding lagging blah blah bla. I literally got fed up with it and hit upload.. I know it's long and all over the place

We just had it installed in December. All New screen systems, first time having radar on our boat so.(honestly my uncle could of bought a new boat for what he payed for in that system). it's all new to us. And as far as I'm aware everything takes practice . An hey it's better then running without it. I'll enjoy the learnig curve. And I thank everyone for their advise. And love the peanut gallery.

The worse time to learn is when you are in the middle of the fog and there are cruise ships all around you while you hunt for kelp patties. It really sounds like you are a bad captain and put yourself and your crew in danger because of your lack of experience with your equipment. It seems like fishing is more important to you than your life and your crew's life. All the equipment in the world does not fix stupidity.

• Haha
    Upvote 0

Mr. Jones

Almost A Member
    May 9, 2020
    Orange County
    Name
    Ronnie Jones
    Boat
    Seaswirl 2901
    I'm just going to set something straight right here. As in my description by my name tag. There are 3 anglers that use this profile. Me who is on this site quite frequenlty. And am respectful and usually not all up in people's business. Then there's my brothers who just lurks around for info and kayaking info. Followed last by my old and salty uncle who you guys met in the quote y'all keep quoting. He's a 68 year old SALTY DOG. Who's been on the water since he was 15 and doesn't care about friends. He's not to kind in general to anybody. We've all 3 got boats. And use the profile to all check in on fishdope we get yearly. After reading his reply(quote) I kinda let him have it. As I don't want that attitude on this profile. So I apologize on his behalf MYNomad.
    But then came the last response which I mean I understand where your coming from Kevina, I do! But yes he uses vessel finder to check where the fleets generalized location is, yes it's a good tool. Not a navigation aid, that's just silly. There's nothing wrong with that tool. But before that, you go and say it was us who was spinning and not the cruise ship, as tho you know more then we do.. And that we must be that dumb for not knowing what we were even seeing. This is a perfect reason for a response like his in general.. We sat there watching it spin. And for you to tell us that we were wrong is just ignorant. We watched it spin in the fog and then once the fog lifted. We watched it spin. Sonetimes to its port then sometimes to its starboard. Sometimes partial spins sometime complete 360's over and over agin. Why?? we don't know. (Probably a system issue) But one thing I do know, as do you is when your drifting on a patty. You never drift there spinning. While on a patty. We stood there on the stern watching that big boat spin. Haven't you ever seen a large naval ship turn or spin?. I'm sure you have.
    Cheers fellas. This is another great reason why I don't report anything. The less opinions the better. I understand why more and more guys are going silent and just lurking

BDs is sort of like politics. Someone's always mad. Someone's always defensive.

Take the cold hard advice and tune out the personal opinions.

Thanks for the report and keep posting!

Reactions: JamesZ and SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    When I'm stationary, my plotter will occasionally do a spin till I get underway. It's normal for the unit. What you were looking at may be a similar action.

LJ,
    I just installed a Garmin “Heading Sensor” (NMEA2000 electronic compass) called “Steady Cast”. They cost around $135. I just got one and so far so good. Now my MFD knows which direction my boat is pointing at all times. 😃 .....even when standing still.

There is friendly discussion on ArimaOwners on this topic.

Upvote 0