Offshore Here's a good read of Escaping earthly reality to enjoy the wet worlds harmony while a sucsseful Scouting mission 1/7

PENN

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Went SW towards a temp break but the fog was THICKKKKK. So we altered the coarse towards the corner. As we where headed north the AIS said there was a ship ahead as we were slowly moving we started hearing fog horns blaring from 2 directions. (There were 3 cruise ships out there, only one had its AIS on, they were all stationary all day). But Then the patties started showing up with deep 75'-100' marks so we patty hopped and tried avoiding the vessels. But the horns got louder and longer. And the other vessel near us, kept spinning in a circles blaring it's fog horns. After an hour and a half of patty hopping all with beautiful marks (some dry) some full of life. We had to be close to this ship the fog horns sounded louder, closer and at this time LONGER and we kept trying to vear out of the way while keeping our eyes peeled. But the vessel kept spinning in its circle. As we move through fog we come across some white foam and knew we were to close as we were trying to angle our way away... but out of know where! pops a dark... very dark cloud which looked like a Column of fog, note we were already past the tip of this other vessels AIS marker triangle but this very dark cloud appeared and with in seconds their fog horn blasts and we are now within viewing distance of the carnival cruse ship the "Miracle" and we are within 100 yards of it.. and she's rotating her bow to her starboard side as we come face to face with her mid section... now feet away from this 970' long vessel she's still spinning, and she's spinning onto our bow. TERROR the feeling of TERROR came over us as We turned and burned for our life. Just as her bow crossed our stern the captain of this 970' long by 240' in hight behemoth let out 2 minute long fog horn burst which sounded an awful lot like Fuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooouuuu..... as we pulled off and let the adrenaline and terror in our shaky hands wear off we watched her spin and spin whiched caused the fog to kling to her like a cloud klining to a mountain side. As she spun more and more the fog cloaked her as it seemed she was invislable even tho we knew she was there. That being said an AIS triangle beacon on our display turns out is actually a 4 mile long 2.5 mile wide arrow...🤦‍♂️..
Now on to the fishing, the time we got to the 43 the fog had lifted revealing the cruse ship. And the weather turned into Perfectly clear glassly seas and the water temp was actually 64 degrees at the 43 and by hand felt warmer. Back to fishing as we turned NW to fish the ridgeline we were met with porpoise big schools of mackerel on the surface, every bird we're looking for out there, a pod of pilot whales, 2 sperm whales that surprised the shit out of us as they breached on our port side as we were slow trolling the daisy chains. Then one of the coolest whale encounter I've ever had. We had an orca a ACTUAL killer whale pop up in front of us, and as I was looking at its tall dorsal fin. I watched it submerge and push over to get behind our propwash. It then ran in our propwash for I'd say 3-5 minutes. (who knows really it felt like forever). It's big beautiful face looked so happy and excited we both stood there speechless at this time we had the auto pilot moving us in a straight line. We both walked back to the stern and watch this big beautiful water panda play in our propwash that sometimes even looking as if it was just inches off our prop! Photos and cameras never happened; as we weren't even prepared for such a radical encounter! As it finally broke off it pushed past us and gave us a nice mist on its last breach before it vanashed... it was a moment that called for a hug and a shout of praise to the big man upstairs!
And on we went! The patties were numerous and everywhere a few even had micro YT still on them. I'm telling you man the water was WARM!. We had some great marks ranging from 75' down to 150' but could get anything on the hook. After glassing a few brezzers we were finally in the right area at 44 over O4. The BF finally did surface 1 time but sunk out as we got to them they were nice 40-60lb models we gave it everything we could for nada. But as we called it and turned east we came across a barn door size kelp and once I looked past it, it led to a front lawn size kelp. which then led to a 2 mile long line, of mega patty's as far as the eye could see. It was a string of floating islands. Many with opening we could of pulled our 24' boat into the middle of and fished it. At the ends of this jumbo patty parade there Sat a floating city. A patty so big my 2 bedroom apartment could sit on top of it (with outside seating and a wrap around porch to view the front lawn and it's side yards). Never In my 20+ years of being on the water for an average of 90+ days a year on the big Blue wet thing have I never seen this many patties (I said this 2 years ago on a post I wrote) but this made that look ridiculous. These patties were sitting at 32:42 over 118:00. For all of you out there. And we had micro YT Picking out baits up and running on almost everyone of them patties. As we were working the line A pod of porpoise came in and descimated everything, scales were everywhere the only thing that survived were the jellyfish and mola mola( and man o man there are a lot of jelly fish out there right now from 9 mile and beyond there were everywhere) also in that patty paradise there were mola mala of every kind shape and size some sunfish I've never seen before as well. A dozen or so baby mola mola at least were supper squreally and having way to much fun. Some times the bigger solid white ones would even regulate them. And the sizes of the sunfish/mola mola matched the sizes of these patties. I saw one that was I'd have to say 8-9' long and had 2 ginormous fins on its back half. its wing span was easily longer then its body was. I've never seen one like that and it was massive. And with all the jellys which are there food it maid perfect since why there were so many. I would of loved to dive in the water and just filmed them. There were so many at one point they were everywhere in all their different species.. once it hit 3pm we had to go. And by the time we hit the slip we witnessed yesterdays BEAUTIFUL sunset! And with that finish it made the best skunk day on the water I've ever had. We realized that we made the best possible choice and had such an incredible day. Off the mainland of confusion and frustration that we call normal in this bezzare time in society.

Well if you stuck with me thank you for reading. The BF ARE OUT THERE we marked them and saw them several times there was a lot of mackerel in the water! So be prepared, the water was blue and warmer then reported. It's looking ready for a great year ahead! As we all hope and pray for! Cheers to a successful scouting mission!

IMG_5394.PNG

IMG_5393.JPG

IMG_5395.JPG

IMG_5396.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
You can't safely judge distances based on the graphic presentation of AIS targets. But your display should show, in text, for every AIS target, 5 important things: 1) its distance to you, 2) its heading, 3) its bearing, 4) time to closest point of approach (TCPA) and 5) distance at closes point of approach (CPA). The last two are by far the most important. And most software will allow you to set an alarm that will warn you when you and an AIS vessel are on courses that will bring you closer than XX distance within YY time. Personally, I never set XX to less than 1 nm, and never set YY to less than 30 minutes. That way, I will know there is a problem before the other vessel is within 1nm of me, and typically within 30 minutes of that problem. When I am offshore, or at night or in fog, I will often set XX to 3nm and YY to 1 hour. Getting caught by surprise, as you did, can be fatal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Thats A GREAT Report brother!!! You know some days....God and the Universe combine to remind us what's REALLY important! What a epic adventure.... thanks for sharing it. Recon is always a good thing. :notworthy

Upvote 0

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
    Feb 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Feelfree Lure 11.5
    Wonderful read, glad you got to experience firsthand what I got to thoroughly enjoyed reading about after the fact! You guys must be livin right. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Those are some serious paddies.
    Why not flip on your radar? 970’ of steel makes a big return.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Those are some serious paddies.
    Why not flip on your radar? 970’ of steel makes a big return.
    We were using radar but the fog was so low it was picking it up everywhere. We were moving slow through this as it went on for miles and miles so we just slowly putted along. But this dam thing kept spinning. Literally just kept spinning in circles so the return was showing it alover the place. Add the fact there where 2 others without their AIS on out there that we passed but did not see.. We were issuing everything we had. But the visibility was just that bad. You can see it on the last picture.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    Your knowledge and proficiency with your electronics may need a little work. "We were using radar but the fog was so low it was picking it up everywhere". ?? Not sure what that is suppose to mean. It makes no difference to the radar if the fog was low or not. Brings to question the quality of your radar and your ability to properly operate it. You may have been so close to the very large target that your radar was painting it on your display throughout the radar's 360 degree sweep. MYNomad gave you some very good advise. Your report seemed to indicate you were very uncomfortable with the situation. Perhaps just leaving the area would have been the prudent and easy thing to do??

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Your knowledge and proficiency with your electronics may need a little work. "We were using radar but the fog was so low it was picking it up everywhere". ?? Not sure what that is suppose to mean. It makes no difference to the radar if the fog was low or not. Brings to question the quality of your radar and your ability to properly operate it. You may have been so close to the very large target that your radar was painting it on your display throughout the radar's 360 degree sweep. MYNomad gave you some very good advise. Your report seemed to indicate you were very uncomfortable with the situation. Perhaps just leaving the area would have been the prudent and easy thing to do??
    We just had it installed in December. All New screen systems, first time having radar on our boat so.(honestly my uncle could of bought a new boat for what he payed for in that system). it's all new to us. And as far as I'm aware everything takes practice . An hey it's better then running without it. I'll enjoy the learnig curve. And I thank everyone for their advise. And love the peanut gallery.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

muletrain

Sep 9, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Thanks for taking the time to share your enjoyable day on the water. You don’t always have to catch fish to have great time on the burg pond we get to call our backyard.

Seeing all that life makes it worth the trip alone. Orca in the prop wash, sperm whales, Mola’s, paddIves the size of cities. All that sounds like an awesome day to me!

thanks for sharing

Reactions: SMYLEE and One_Leg
    Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    We just had it installed in December. All New screen systems, first time having radar on our boat so.(honestly my uncle could of bought a new boat for what he payed for in that system). it's all new to us. And as far as I'm aware everything takes practice . An hey it's better then running without it. I'll enjoy the learnig curve. And I thank everyone for their advise. And love the peanut gallery.
    If your radar is not equipped with "Collision Avoidance" I strongly urge you to become familiar with Rapid Radar Plotting. At the very least be able to properly tune/adjust your radar and be able to determine CPA of another vessel and the other vessel's relative motion track, RML. Mis use of a radar can be worse than no radar at all.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Maybe lay off the weed before boating in the fog and posting
    Yea right bro.. what do you think we where doing... looking for them floating bales yo! I got to keep your demand up to par. Haven't touched that stuff myself in years since you started placing orders!

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    If your radar is not equipped with "Collision Avoidance" I strongly urge you to become familiar with Rapid Radar Plotting. At the very least be able to properly tune/adjust your radar and be able to determine CPA of another vessel and the other vessel's relative motion track, RML. Mis use of a radar can be worse than no radar at all.
    We'll be dialed in by the start of the season👌🏼.

Reactions: ryhlick
    Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Ah. Yup, time to practice with your radar. Fog has no effect on it. Time to practice with your compass too. If you are moving slowly, most chartplotters can’t accurately position your vessel. I’m guessing you don’t have a heading sensor...

So, look at your compass, keep your boat on the same heading. Look at your radar while keeping on course. The big shapes on your radar screen are the things to avoid.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

Mar 9, 2011
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    ""
    Boat
    24'custom
    Ah. Yup, time to practice with your radar. Fog has no effect on it. Time to practice with your compass too. If you are moving slowly, most chartplotters can’t accurately position your vessel. I’m guessing you don’t have a heading sensor...

So, look at your compass, keep your boat on the same heading. Look at your radar while keeping on course. The big shapes on your radar screen are the things to avoid.
    tell you the truth. I felt like the fact we were out there focusing on our radar so much instead of our normal routine on moving through fog. It almost became a crutch. We relied on more then our instincts. Also mind you we did maneuver past 2 other cruise ships that were not transmitting their AIS. We didn't even get a visual on them. But yea we are working and learning! Our setting have changed and been tested since Thursday. So we're getting there. we'll be there by season.

Reactions: wdlfbio and ryhlick
    Upvote 0