TheBoyScout

Thanks doesn't buy gas...
Nov 13, 2014
San Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
Bayrunner Baja 23 "Rough Rider"
I really need some basic help on where to go for yellowtail. I can't seem to find them to save my life. I usually launch out of dana landing. Partly because I'm a new boat owner, grrr. Help anyone?

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Late in the year you need to work the kelp beds inshore. LJ is iffy, but look for the birds. Know where you can and can't fish there with the no fishing zones. Good luck.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
electronics can be your best friend yt are deep at times the lobsters guys know were deep structure can be found see gear off the kelp meter it take a look time on the water is the key just a learning curve you'll get it it's not always about catching well maybe it is good luck

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Invest in "Fish Dope"...... read the reports... and view the maps.... It will be a big help to you getting in the areas where the fish are...
Good Luck...

Reactions: Knives
Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
find the cleanest bluest water near the kelp with the least amount of eel grass rotting loose kelp on the surface that you can find preferable with the current going from the deeper water to the shallower water on rocky bottoms.....this time of year either dropper loop a sardine or mac or slow troll a mac as slow(1-2Knots) as you can with a fifty pound out fit with it out of gear and on click with just enough lever or spool tension to troll without line peeling off ....if the mac gets active suddenly and make the clicker zip get ready

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Ramon, Congrats on the new boat! La Jolla kelp would be a good start for a newbie. Coronados would also be a good chance for YT this time of the year. I'm a big believer in diving birds so keep your eye out as they usually can assist in finding the fish.

Do your boating homework before venturing into Mexican (or US) waters without experience. Main things being understanding your boat, safety items such as life vests, working VHF and possible back-up hand held, understanding your GPS with preloaded coordinates, etc. Get this stuff down and the fish will eventually come.

Tight lines and good luck!

Upvote 0