help with tackle list for the Ranch

Rabbit91476

Aug 2, 2016
Central california
Name
Damon
Boat
None
starting to order for 2 guys 6.5 days of fishing. haven't decided to use all there rods or take my own yet
so far.
2 yo zuri bull pop lures
10pack 2 0z crocodile with prisim tape
3 oz ranger chrome plan to get some red strip
2 yo zuri crystal minnows sardine 5 1/4
already have head lamps

need
50lb fluro leader
saltwater pliers.
what size bait hooks
what strength sharp tooth leader
hooks
weights buy here or there

ill keep a running list if you guys can give me a hand

MikeyLikesIt

did you say F I S H I N G ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
need more information....

you fishing from shore or the fleet? When are you going? (general time frame)

what are you targeting?

what I have found in my 10 years of going down there for a week in mid September is that I take alot of stuff that never gets used....

floro is good to take. 30-40-50

pink hoochies are always welcomed. Hooks they like to use are 1/0 and smaller, chrome J hooks....

take a few big rapalas or yozuri's for trolling....

swimbaits, don't even bother. (the triggerfish just ruin them)

DEFINITELY take weights with you.....

Rabbit91476

Aug 2, 2016
Central california
Name
Damon
Boat
None
Going to Rancho Leonero nov 11. returning 18.
Targeting. whatever is edible and biteing.
At least one day cruiser, least 2 day pang. kayaks one day. I like to shore fish.
will take about 3 grand for fishing. enough cash for beer and tips
I would imagine 1-3 oz pyramid weights will work Carolina rigged. didn't know what size hooks to take.
Mikey what do you commonly need besides what you listed

seabash

Jul 14, 2015
Orange County
Name
matias
Boat
san diego
I will be down there the 10th-16th. We are driving, decided to make it a baja roady. Never been so it will be nice to hear others chime in on what works best and what to avoid. Was thinking about bring a bunch of fresh dead squid in the cooler to fish with?

mikedynp

Jan 30, 2016
montana
Name
mike
Boat
"the drain plug", 18' klamath;1979 17' Boston whaler (it's a project)
Bigger weights. We used at least three ounce pyramids and up to 8 ounce ones. You can kayak the baits out so you don't have to cast the bigger ones. Can't remember for sure, but I think 5/0 circle hooks with a half Bonita fillet worked the best for pargo off the beach just past the pangas. Tons of fat triggers (great ceviche) too.

mikedynp

Jan 30, 2016
montana
Name
mike
Boat
The smaller hooks are nice for the triggers and also to catch some bait fish. Use a chunk of squid or fish and jig it off your kayak. It's crazy the amount of different types of fish you will catch.

Rabbit91476

Aug 2, 2016
Central california
Name
Damon
Boat
None
next order will probably be
30 40 50 lb 25 yard fluro leader from seaguar
gamagatsu 4x 5/0 7/0
owner off shore ringed 4/0
and some 1/0 j hooks for catching bait and small stuff.

What else

Bajaian

Jan 18, 2012
New Westminster/BC/Canada
Name
Ian Franck
Boat
Bahia Jurel
You might want to give night fishing a try. You'll catch all sorts of fish. Snapper, Porgy, Goatfish, Ladyfish (don't eat those), Grunts, and of course the less than desirable puffers. We have even caught a Milkfish in the past. Little pieces of shrimp on small hooks. Best thing is to have a weight at the bottom with two or three hooks up the line on short leaders.

Best place to get cheap shrimp is at Sorianas or Walmart.

It's a blast.

Reactions: seabash

mikedynp

Jan 30, 2016
montana
Name
mike
Boat
Sabiki rigs work for catching bait off the kayak but the triggers just bite the little hooks right off. Either bring a bunch or make some out of wire.

Reactions: rowdy01

Rabbit91476

Aug 2, 2016
Central california
Name
Damon
Boat
None
Wonder if there a fridge in the room to store it. Great ideas keep them comming. Im a terible writer but mabey i can make a newbies guide to east cape lol.

mikedynp

Jan 30, 2016
montana
Name
mike
Boat
no fridge in room, but you do have access to a walk in freezer. It can be kind of a pain in the butt tracking down the key though. That is also where you will store any fish you catch. There is an ice machine across the parking lot from the front desk. Bring a cooler with you. We used coolers for luggage on the way down and packed a duffle bag in them for clothes on the way back. That way you can use the cooler while there and then bring fish back in it.

Reactions: Leslie. Christensen

Gus Fring

Jan 31, 2014
San Francisco
Name
Tom
Boat
Arima Sea Hunter
I'd bring a case of squid and throw it in one of the walk in freezers. Comes in handy for everything you fish for down there. I think one of the walk in's needs a key and one doesn't, or at least it didn't when we were there two years ago. Either way, between the freezer and the ice, Rancho makes it really easy for you to keep things cooled down.

And we took a fish bag with us and used it while fishing on the both the cruisers and on the pangas. Filling up said bag the night before became a nice ritual when we'd roll the coolers out into the desert (It's only about 20 yards away but at night feels like you're trekking into parts unknown…) to gather up some ice for the next day. We would also pick up some salt at Chappito's in town and salt down the fish bag and also the coolers we kept around in the room for drinks.

And for shore/kayak fishing you can do a little recon work by clicking on this link from Rancho's site. If you go about 2 clicks out you get a view of about a half mile south of the resort and will be able to see the different reefs that you can head out to.
http://rancholeonero.com/maps.html

And as Mikey said, pink hoochies's are a good call….we also did well with blue and blue/yellow/clear hoochies's too. And I'd bring a bunch as they get obliterated pretty easily and you're hopefully gonna be running into some Sierra's in November. I had a couple of my biggest hits from shore throwing a clear plastic bubble followed by a blue hoochie.

As for weights, bring them for sure…and we caught more fish when we learned to go light on the weights, mostly Carolina rigged….but I really like the idea of kayaking out some big baits too. That sounds like a good time...

You're going to a fun place, I like how you have "6.5 days" marked out for fishing…a plan is good and one that includes squeezing out every possible minute of fishing is even better!

Good luck and Enjoy…
:cool:

Reactions: seabash

mikedynp

Jan 30, 2016
montana
Name
mike
Boat
earlier this summer you could buy it right at the ranch on the dock in the morning. We tried to buy it at Chappitos in los barriles but they didn't have any.

Gus Fring

Jan 31, 2014
San Francisco
Name
Tom
Boat
Arima Sea Hunter
Were don i get a case of squid
We got ours at Safeway, just told them about a week beforehand that we needed it. I think they can get Seawave….

Stuck it in one of the coolers on the way down and it was still frozen solid when we unloaded at the ranch.

Just make sure you don't go over the 50lb limit on your checked luggage. We broke down and bought one of those little travel scales a couple of trips ago and it seriously takes away a lot of the anxiety on your travel days. They cost less than 20 bucks and are well worth the investment.

Damn, I'm getting seriously envious here and have no plans to visit the East Cape anytime soon.
:nopity:

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
One setup that you are comfortable with, confident you can put lure wherever you aim. Have fun,stop buying stuff, all different types off fishing, smaller shiny stuff ,to fit your steelhead setup? Lots of sightfishing close to shore. Some wet shoes and swimming trunks. Waters hot run and gun along beach. Take care of one thing,do it good. Resort will fill in the blanks, guides have stuff.!!!! They used sell flies and small terminal stuff their.

Rabbit91476

Aug 2, 2016
Central california
Name
Damon
Boat
None
Didnt mind buying hooks. We can use them on cat fish when we get back. What the heck is a pink hoochie and how do you fish it. Will the pangas and the cruisers have terminal tackle

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Didnt mind buying hooks. We can use them on cat fish when we get back. What the heck is a pink hoochie and how do you fish it. Will the pangas and the cruisers have terminal tackle
Like a tube bait, you can buy at stores down there, they make tackle down there,, airlines rape and pillage. It's only my opinion , leave room to bring stuff back. You need to drive down to cover everything. The near shore stuff is a blast, maybe one setup each, couple spool,8 and 12 lb, castmasters, crocks, make bait, save stuff from boat, The simpler the better. Your going to a great place, all you need is some clean underwear, your job is to pay the bill,they will take care of you. Some wet shoes might be nice, a lot of rocks and sharp stuff along beach.