acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
So I’ve predominately fished bass for the last few years and my current quiver reflects that. Being that I’m rebuilding my boat to have the capabilities of getting a bit further from the beach, my focus this year is putting something pelagic on the decks. Hoping to chase down some YT, dorados, football schoolie tuna, etc. So I’ve been thinning the herd of bass rods and getting some more bigger gear but need some help finishing the pieces. I’ll be doing mostly inshore fishing, still a good bit of calico fishing but hoping to get to the 6-7 mile range from PV to Coronados.

What I currently have:
Shimano Cardiff 300 - 50lb braid w/ 25lb topshot on Shimano Clarus 7ft. 12-25 (go to near shore bass set up)
Daiwa saltist lever drags. I currently have an LD20, 30, and 40 (all empty)
Calcutta 400 (empty)
Seeker 7ft inshore 20 - 30
New Daiwa Proteus 8’10 30-50 mono or 55-100 braid

My thought is to set up the 3 saltists as a 20lb, 30lb, and 40lb rigs. LD40 with 65lb braid on the Proteus as my surface iron rig. Calcutta with 25lb mono (or maybe braid) on the 7ft Seeker, but now need rods for the LD20 and 30. Thinking an 8ft 20-40 for the LD30 and not sure what for the LD20. Maybe something in the 7ft range for yo-yos? What do you suggest? I’ve pretty much drained the piggy bank on the boat so don’t want to spend too much on new rods. But looking for some input.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Check out Okuma'a PCH series for best bang for the buck. Seriously though, you may want to look at United Composits, or Calstar and make the stretch. Once and done. And if you ever sell them, you'll get most of your money back.

I’m not opposed to going UC, Calstar, or seeker. I’d really like to. But can’t justify top of the line stuff at the moment. But what I’m still not sure of is what I need. Not sure if I need an 8ft 20 - 50ish or a 7ft 15 - 30ish or what at the moment. Got the bass rig and 40lb surface iron rig figured out. But now need to figure out what to do with the saltist 20 and 30

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Formerly Long Beach, now Fort Lauderdale area
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Check out Okuma'a PCH series for best bang for the buck. Seriously though, you may want to look at United Composits, or Calstar and make the stretch. Once and done. And if you ever sell them, you'll get most of your money back.
Or just buy them used in the first place. The classifieds on this board is a great resource for quality used tackle.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Or just buy them used in the first place. The classifieds on this board is a great resource for quality used tackle.

Absolutely. And I’ve been checking them regularly. My problem is I’m not sure what I need to round out the quiver. So I’d rather not buy the wrong rod.

For calstar, you dont have to go with expensive grafighters. For fishing live bait, I use all glass 270-8h rated 15-40. Can fish topshot 20, 25, even 30.

Great. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll look into those. What reel are you using to pair with it?

Upvote 0

birdie800

ReelBigFish
Jul 11, 2009
LA County
Name
Chay
Boat
N/A
I'd recommend the Okuma PCH 801H or 761H for an excellent, reasonably priced rod for 20-30lbs top shot. Great action and light weight with excellent components.

Reactions: acefuture
Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Bobby
Boat
Cattle Boats
You're LD40 can double as both yoyo and surface iron. The calcutta 400, leave at home. Use the ld20 with 20lb for live bait. ld30 with 30lb for live bait. For rods, Calstar 270, 270h, 800xl, 800l, or 800m.

For Seeker look for 270h and a 6480.

For UC, you want a 8' mag and monster.

Lots of brands and all have good and bad points.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
You're LD40 can double as both yoyo and surface iron. The calcutta 400, leave at home. Use the ld20 with 20lb for live bait. ld30 with 30lb for live bait. For rods, Calstar 270, 270h, 800xl, 800l, or 800m.

For Seeker look for 270h and a 6480.

For UC, you want a 8' mag and monster.

Lots of brands and all have good and bad points.

Sweet, that's pretty much where my head is at. Thanks for the input
Going to setup the LD40 with the 8'10 proteus. 65lb braid, change out leaders depending on what I'm fishing. Probably 40lb topshot usually for local yellows etc.
LD30 I'm going to setup with 25lb mono, no backing, on a Calstar 270h
LD20 will go 40lb braid and fish 20lb topshot, probably on the seeker for now unless I find something else.
Calcutta I have another bass rod i'll put that on for fishing local bass

Thanks for the help guys

Upvote 0

Mike D.

Dec 18, 2018
Newport
Name
Michael
Boat
Surfboard
Like someone said, a rod that will do 20-25# with you LD20, 30# with the LD 30.

My inexpensive choice is also the okuma PCH series. One 15-40 and one 20-50 and you’ll be good, they really are nice for the price.

If you want to find something nicer look for used calstar or seekers or UCs but even used are not that cheap. If you want them just save for them now or else you will be like me and sell your half assed quiver next year and get them anyways!

Im not a big fan of surface iron and lever drags just too much going on. I prefer a Penn Fathom 25n star drag for inexpensive surface iron reel. You can always yo yo on your jigstick, not ideal but it is do able.

just keep your one bass rod you have now you just need one bass rod to fall back on if your dedicating yourself to chase down big girls this year. You can always find less expensive phenix/seeker inshore rods And Curado ej or Daiwa lexas if you want to upgrade ever.

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Like someone said, a rod that will do 20-25# with you LD20, 30# with the LD 30.

My inexpensive choice is also the okuma PCH series. One 15-40 and one 20-50 and you’ll be good, they really are nice for the price.

If you want to find something nicer look for used calstar or seekers or UCs but even used are not that cheap. If you want them just save for them now or else you will be like me and sell your half assed quiver next year and get them anyways!

Im not a big fan of surface iron and lever drags just too much going on. I prefer a Penn Fathom 25n star drag for inexpensive surface iron reel. You can always yo yo on your jigstick, not ideal but it is do able.

just keep your one bass rod you have now you just need one bass rod to fall back on if your dedicating yourself to chase down big girls this year. You can always find less expensive phenix/seeker inshore rods And Curado ej or Daiwa lexas if you want to upgrade ever.

Thanks. I would ideally like to go with a star drag for my surface iron/yo-yo rig as well and will eventually pick up either a Fathom 25n or something similar. In the meantime, these reels were handed to me from a close buddy who's grandpa recently passed and he knew I/we would be able to put them to use. He's going to be doing a good bit of fishing with me this season so i'd like to get them in the mix now. Once he gets his feet wet a bit more I'm sure he'll be keen to selling some and getting the right reels for the jobs we'll be focusing on, not necessarily what his grandpa focused on. So for the time being we'll use my rods and i'll get a star drag in the near future.

Upvote 0