fly liner

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
So I very rarely fish long beach area , when I do launch LB it's to make the run to Cat. This weekend I have some family coming down from Colorado, they are staying at a house in Anaheim and 2 young nephews really want to go fishing with me. So naturally I offered to trailer down and pick them up and take them out for a day on the water. It would be cool to get them on a bass bite , or something active. So my main question is can someone kindly point me in the direction of izors reef and maybe the 150. Or anywhere else in the LB area that I could put a couple of preteens on a bite. Not asking for any secret spots, just a basic direction to some productive areas .

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Izors

Izor’s Reefs #1 33.38.61 / 118.06.36
Izor’s Reefs #2 33.38.54 / 118.06.22
Izor’s Reefs #3 33.38.84 / 118.06.12
Izor’s Reefs #4 33.38.82 / 118.06.32
Izor’s Reefs #5 33.39.35 / 118.06.10
Izor’s Reefs #6 33.39.19 / 118.05.95

Horseshoe
33.38.40 / 118.14.00

Bring a few chum buckets

Reactions: fly liner
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    If they are coming from Colorado, will they be OK going on the ocean? Sea sickness is no fun for a kid. But setting that aside, I usually take newbies to play with fish INSIDE the breakwater. Try drifting around the bait barge, either flylining anchovies or casting small metal lures for bonito and mackerel, or using light weights to bounce along the bottom for various critters. I got a six foot diameter spider crab once and years later that is what they remember the most, they thought it was an alien monster. Preteens are all about the action, so if you can manage a mackerel bite on light spinning gear they will have a ball.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Izors is aready listed on most plotters as bolsa Chica artificial reef.

Screenshot_20210608-103548_Boating.jpg

Upvote 0

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
    hemet ca USA
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Izors

Izor’s Reefs #1 33.38.61 / 118.06.36
    Izor’s Reefs #2 33.38.54 / 118.06.22
    Izor’s Reefs #3 33.38.84 / 118.06.12
    Izor’s Reefs #4 33.38.82 / 118.06.32
    Izor’s Reefs #5 33.39.35 / 118.06.10
    Izor’s Reefs #6 33.39.19 / 118.05.95

Horseshoe
    33.38.40 / 118.14.00

Bring a few chum buckets

Thank you sir

Upvote 0

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
    hemet ca USA
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    If they are coming from Colorado, will they be OK going on the ocean? Sea sickness is no fun for a kid. But setting that aside, I usually take newbies to play with fish INSIDE the breakwater. Try drifting around the bait barge, either flylining anchovies or casting small metal lures for bonito and mackerel, or using light weights to bounce along the bottom for various critters. I got a six foot diameter spider crab once and years later that is what they remember the most, they thought it was an alien monster. Preteens are all about the action, so if you can manage a mackerel bite on light spinning gear they will have a ball.

Thanks for the tips. I usually carry bonine on the boat, hopefully they don't need it.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    If you're at IZORS and you look towards Avalon the 150 is out past the rig in the middle for the most part. And to the west of the west rig is the Sculpin grounds. Just look for a sporty or two they hit the Sculpin grounds hard.

looking forward to a report n pics!

Reactions: fly liner
    Upvote 0

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
    hemet ca USA
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    If you're at IZORS and you look towards Avalon the 150 is out past the rig in the middle for the most part. And to the west of the west rig is the Sculpin grounds. Just look for a sporty or two they hit the Sculpin grounds hard.

looking forward to a report n pics!
    Thanks

Upvote 0

Dozer217

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2010
    LBC
    Remember to have them take the seasick meds the night before, it's a preventative and not a cure once sick. I'd start out inside the break wall and then move out as they get comfy, also plenty of bass around the oil islands and the area around the QM.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    I like that Bolsa Chica could loosely translate as "Bag Lady."

Although it probably means "small bag."

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
    hemet ca USA
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Bonine on the boat is usually too late. Take one the night
    before. If the weather is going to be bumpy I'll take a second
    one in the morning.

I'd have to respectfully disagree.
    I've personally given pills to parents of children that are sick on sport boats and watched them happy and feeling better in a short period of time. Also given pills to several adults on different trips throughout the years and seen great results. I 100% agree that it's a better choice to take them prior to the trip, but they can help mid trip.

Reactions: kbray001

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Thanks for the tips. I usually carry bonine on the boat, hopefully they don't need it.

You make them take it and take it at least 4 hours ahead of the trip. By the time they are seasick, it would take hours to be effective. Its an easy insurance whether they are seasick or not.

Upvote 0

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
    hemet ca USA
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    You make them take it and take it at least 4 hours ahead of the trip. By the time they are seasick, it would take hours to be effective. Its an easy insurance whether they are seasick or not.

I do agree 100% that it is the best idea to take it before the trip, but I've personally witnessed rather quick results with people taking it while experiencing seasickness.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    I do agree 100% that it is the best idea to take it before the trip, but I've personally witnessed rather quick results with people taking it while experiencing seasickness.

Not everyone reacts that quickly. Its better to be safe than sorry. At the minimum, you should tell them to take it a few hours before the trip. If they choose not to, it is up to them at that point.

Upvote 0

Latest posts