Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
I’m looking to sell this rod as well as a fenwick I have sitting at my house .

I’m unsure what the rod is but it’s heavy action and I’d say probably about a 60-100lb rod maybe a 40-80.

79E486D6-EBB3-4D9A-A066-1FF8FF6485F3.jpeg
726411DA-9B2A-40A8-8E99-A34273290B14.jpeg
1E9860EF-5EAD-4588-AB3F-4C8E1512810B.jpeg
AD41399A-1F15-419C-8E75-D10E3DB9769F.jpeg
85257E96-E186-4406-BD5A-F324400CF653.jpeg

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
You have to look for the pattern in the glass to tell what it is. It looks like an older rod, maybe late 70's or early 80's. Probably a Sabre, Lamiglas or yellow glass Fenwick. Look closely for a pattern in the glass. If it is a Sabre you will see a distinct spiral or barber pole pattern in the glass with the lines about 1/4" apart. If it is a Lamiglas or Fenwick you won't see the spiral pattern but instead you will see a very fine grain pattern in the glass.
The e glass Sabres were more of a honey color. The s glass Sabres were more lemon colored. Your rod looks more lemon colored than honey colored in the photos but it is hard to tell without seeing it in person. A lot of the Lamiglass and Fenwick blanks were more yellow than honey colored so it could be any of the three.
If it is 6.5' and heavy it is probably a 665h or 665xh. The guy who wrapped it was a pretty good rod builder so he probably used a good quality blank. Those insert guides were new back then and were an improvement over the regular boat guides and you see them a lot on the older heavy Sabre rods. That rod looks like it was built around the time they were changing from the heavy metal Varmac reelseats and Perfection boat guides to the lighter Fuji graphite reelseats and insert guides. The rod looks like it is in very good condition.

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
You have to look for the pattern in the glass to tell what it is. It looks like an older rod, maybe late 70's or early 80's. Probably a Sabre, Lamiglas or yellow glass Fenwick. Look closely for a pattern in the glass. If it is a Sabre you will see a distinct spiral or barber pole pattern in the glass with the lines about 1/4" apart. If it is a Lamiglas or Fenwick you won't see the spiral pattern but instead you will see a very fine grain pattern in the glass.
The e glass Sabres were more of a honey color. The s glass Sabres were more lemon colored. Your rod looks more lemon colored than honey colored in the photos but it is hard to tell without seeing it in person. A lot of the Lamiglass and Fenwick blanks were more yellow than honey colored so it could be any of the three.
If it is 6.5' and heavy it is probably a 665h or 665xh. The guy who wrapped it was a pretty good rod builder so he probably used a good quality blank. Those insert guides were new back then and were an improvement over the regular boat guides and you see them a lot on the older heavy Sabre rods. That rod looks like it was built around the time they were changing from the heavy metal Varmac reelseats and Perfection boat guides to the lighter Fuji graphite reelseats and insert guides. The rod looks like it is in very good condition.
I got a better picture of the pattern on the glass .
C7C82554-D1F9-49B5-932C-0F745C3EB777.png

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
It looks like a custom wrapped S-glass Sabre. The S glass was lighter and stronger than the E glass. If it was E glass the wall thickness at the butt would be much thicker and the rod would weigh a lot more. The S-glass blanks were very good blanks and they were used for the Sabre Californian series which is one of the best series of Sabre rods.
There are a number of guys who still collect and fish the S-glass rods. The most desirable rods and blanks are the longer heavy blanks like 670H, 610, 6480 etc. but a 665h or 665xh is still a pretty nice rod.

Drowningman

This guys an asshole
Oct 25, 2020
Temecula
Name
D Michael
Boat
A Tiny One
It looks like a custom wrapped S-glass Sabre. The S glass was lighter and stronger than the E glass. If it was E glass the wall thickness at the butt would be much thicker and the rod would weigh a lot more. The S-glass blanks were very good blanks and they were used for the Sabre Californian series which is one of the best series of Sabre rods.
There are a number of guys who still collect and fish the S-glass rods. The most desirable rods and blanks are the longer heavy blanks like 670H, 610, 6480 etc. but a 665h or 665xh is still a pretty nice rod.
Any estimate what something like this would be worth ?

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
Without regards to what it would be worth, I picked up a rod that had similar customizing over any factory labels & markings. Carefully removed the wraps to find it was in fact a Sabre! Can't figure why someone would have it wrapped as they did, but I scored! Good luck with yours!

Reactions: CartridgeCalls