The American Tackle Company

Picklepork

May 29, 2012
Ventura, CA
Name
Gabriel
Boat
Can't afford
Building my first spinning rod using a Ghost Hunter 200g blank. Being its my first spin rod and I'm pressed for time with an up coming trip, I'm going to be using the recommended guide spacing on the Tackle World website. The only change I'm considering is the guide train. Its recommending a 40, 30, 25, 16, 12, 12 tip, but for aesthetics, I was considering going with a 40, 30, 25, 20, 16, 16 tip. Is there any pros or cons with going with a 16 tip vs a 12 tip? I'll be using all Fuji MNSG guides. The rod is being paired up with a 2020 Stella 14k, but plan to get an 18k later down the line.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Hector Garcia

@hectorscustomrods on instagram
  • Dec 28, 2017
    Lake Los Angeles, CA
    Name
    Hector Garcia
    Boat
    I need a ride.
    You probably wont find a size 16 tip to begin with, and it may throw the spacing off because the spacing they provide is for the guides at a specific height. You may need to adjust it if you choose different size guides.

Reactions: Picklepork

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
    Aug 20, 2010
    Sequim, WA USA
    Name
    Grant Darby
    Boat
    Which one?
    i've found that most spinners work better ( distance, accuracy) when choked down as soon as possible. Looks like the suggested train is based on the cone of flight theory. Thats lots of big guides......do you need them? Think about how big the guide ring needs to be to pass any knots and go with a bunch of that size

Reactions: Capt Richie

cmepen

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jun 16, 2009
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Einar Lohner
    Boat
    Cabo Marine 226
    Also a spinner is really meant to be set up for a particular sized reel. Changing reel size will definitely change how well the rod will: cast, fight, fish....

Reactions: Picklepork

skrilla

allirks
  • May 26, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Len
    Boat
    Camo Whammo
    Being pressed for time sucks especially while trying to tackle your first spinner. Spend your time and effort wisely.

Reactions: ED3

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
    Nov 11, 2007
    Baja Sur, MX
    Name
    Bill Burkett
    Boat
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Looks like you're blank is a 7 footer. (?) The suggested guide train looks to be designed for mono line with the large diameter guides. If you are going to be using braid you don't need such large guides. I'd start with a 30mm and go down to 10mm/and 10mm tip.

Reactions: Capt Richie

Doberman

Almost A Member
    Feb 19, 2015
    Virginia Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Trident 13
    Depends what leader you are running through the guides. If you are casting with twisty leader don’t go smaller than size 16.

Upvote 0