Help with finding the right boat Model San Diego Fishing

sbsurfer

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 19, 2010
Name
Mark
Boat
29ft Radon - 15ft Hobie Power Skiff
I thought CAT's get pushed around in our following seas?

They definitely do. Cats also have a very different ride than monohulls...cats stay real flat through turns as a mono obviously leans. That flatness leads to more lateral motion...kinda like the comparison of driving a gocart around a track vs a motorcycle. I personally don't like the lateral movement of cats.

Do you really deal with following seas much in SD? I know we do up here in SB which is why I have a Radon, but I thought it wasn't as bad down south. I'd imagine you would deal more with the opposite bc of going to fish baja and pounding up hill on the way home.

Upvote 0

Scottinline1

Jun 17, 2018
Orange County
Name
Scottinline1
Boat
World Cat 270EC
You should check out a catamaran. There’s a new dealer in San Diego. If you have a bad back like I do. You owe it to yourself to go test ride a cat.
I can go faster and smoother than any comparable boat to its size. Their big.
If your on a cat and getting pushed around by a following sea. Then your going to slow or you don’t have the motors trimmed up enough to get the bow out of the water.
You can get bow steer.
You have to go faster and keep the bow trimmed up.
I’ve owned 3 cats. Biggest mistake people make driving a cat is they try and drive like a monohull. 2 totally different driving techniques.
Will say the Glacier Bay I had was a little squirrelly in a big following sea but it was a 22ft with 115’s and slow.
The 2 Worldcats I had were awesome. And at the end of the day I wasn’t beat to crap and could still walk.
Thinking about buying the new 280 ccx or dcx. Or a Regulator 29 because their a deep v 24.5 degree at transom and heavy.

Upvote 0

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
You should check out a catamaran. There’s a new dealer in San Diego. If you have a bad back like I do. You owe it to yourself to go test ride a cat.
I can go faster and smoother than any comparable boat to its size. Their big.
If your on a cat and getting pushed around by a following sea. Then your going to slow or you don’t have the motors trimmed up enough to get the bow out of the water.
You can get bow steer.
You have to go faster and keep the bow trimmed up.
I’ve owned 3 cats. Biggest mistake people make driving a cat is they try and drive like a monohull. 2 totally different driving techniques.
Will say the Glacier Bay I had was a little squirrelly in a big following sea but it was a 22ft with 115’s and slow.
The 2 Worldcats I had were awesome. And at the end of the day I wasn’t beat to crap and could still walk.
Thinking about buying the new 280 ccx or dcx. Or a Regulator 29 because their a deep v 24.5 degree at transom and heavy.
Definitely need high water alarms and back up bilge pumps in a Cat. Saw one turtled at the 226 last year. If one side starts taking on water your screwed. Been a few on here that went down.

Upvote 0

FULLY LOADED

Long time member
  • Aug 10, 2005
    VISTA CA
    www.LongerShelfLife.com
    Name
    MARK aka "Mako"
    Boat
    Skipjack 262 Diesel "One Eyed Jack"
    The OG So Cal boat... Skipjacks were made just for us....
    1601850565168.png

Reactions: #WHERESTHEKELPPADDY
    Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 27, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    none
    They definitely do. Cats also have a very different ride than monohulls...cats stay real flat through turns as a mono obviously leans. That flatness leads to more lateral motion...kinda like the comparison of driving a gocart around a track vs a motorcycle. I personally don't like the lateral movement of cats.

Do you really deal with following seas much in SD? I know we do up here in SB which is why I have a Radon, but I thought it wasn't as bad down south. I'd imagine you would deal more with the opposite bc of going to fish baja and pounding up hill on the way home.
    Depends on where you fish. Riding home from Clemente is most always downhill. Anything south of the border is normally uphill. The ride from the Coronados is straight into it mostly.

Upvote 0