Help with finding the right boat Model San Diego Fishing

Boosh

Aug 9, 2020
San Diego
Name
Dale
Boat
None-looking
Hoping for some recommendations on some models to look for. I’ve owned center consoles before (love the fishing room) and an old bay liner cabin cruiser (loved the dry ride, but not much space to fish). Was semi set on a Parker 23-25’ pilot house but I keep hearing about how rough they ride and Don’t want more back problems. My wish list:
-Can fish 4-5 adults with seating for the ride
-Protection from spray (I used to get soaked on the center consoles running back in...don’t want to do that anymore
-Pump out head for wife/daughter
-Can get up front and fish without much difficulty
-small cuddy for grandson to lay down in when he’s with me
-A decent ride, I realize pilot houses ride rougher being up front.
-Outboard(s)
-solid Transom
-Decent gunnel height to lean against (I’m 6’3”)

Looked at a 28’ Whaler Outrage 280 cuddy with a hard lid yesterday, nice setup, checked a lot of boxes, easy to get up front and fish...but that hull looks like it would beat the snot out of you in our waters.

Do the Steiger’s ride better than Parker’s? The Steiger Miami’s with an open rear pilot house looks like an option....

71368B66-C0A0-4C92-A639-03CED2FBB08E.jpeg

Reactions: Shewillbemine
Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Way cheaper to buy new engines and its a quick fix... if everything else is good.
You could run that thing till the engines died...
Learn what you like or don't like. But the boat itself is a solid design.

Reactions: butcherboy
Upvote 0

split172

Aug 3, 2015
Orange County
Name
One More
Boat
Steiger Craft 25
I’ve got a 25’ Steiger And love it. You can get beat to hell tho. Haven’t been on a Parker but sure it’s the same ride. Add the suspension seats to save your back. Or just buy a Whaler Conquest and be set

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
May 26, 2019
Huntington Beach
Name
Dave Coopman
Boat
Judge 27
You could throw this topic out on the hull truth.com

There is many more Striger’s on the east coast and maybe some other options they could let you know about.

Upvote 0

bajabum

Pedo Viejo
Apr 14, 2003
Vista/La Bocana BCS
Name
Dave
Boat
31 stieger craft 23 striper WAC 24 skipjack open
Yes, the stiegers ride much better than the parkers. I’ve spent a lot of time on both.

Reactions: sbsurfer
Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat
Grady White 263 Chase
I have heard a lot of good things about the Steigers.

The only issue you might have is getting seating for 5 on a 23-25 ft boat.

Have you looked at any of the Gradys? I know there aren't a ton of them on the market but there are a few. I recently sold my 23ft CC Mako which ran great but I needed a little more room. I now have a 27ft Grady CC and love the way it runs, it has the V2 hull

Upvote 0

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
I have ridden on the boat mentioned above . She's a beast that eats up the sea with tons of room .
The Grady 300 for sale here looks priced right and then repower when its time . Or sell the smokers while they run good .
I have a Pursuit 2870 with twin 200 Yamahas and have zero complaints. I'm 6'4 - 250 and it suits me fine.
Good luck in your search .

Upvote 0

Boosh

Aug 9, 2020
San Diego
Name
Dale
Boat
None-looking
What year did the V2 hull come out? I hear a lot about it minus the year they changed

Have you looked at any of the Gradys? I know there aren't a ton of them on the market but there are a few. I recently sold my 23ft CC Mako which ran great but I needed a little more room. I now have a 27ft Grady CC and love the way it runs, it has the V2 hull

Upvote 0

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
Redlands
Name
The Grays
Boat
2021 Parker 2320
We owned a 2006 Boston Whaler Conquest 285. Now we have a Parker 2320. We also have a lot of hours on various center consoles along with Defiance boats through our previous boat club. Any cuddy cabin/pilot house will beat you up more than a center console. For afternoons in So Cal a cabin is really nice if you want to stay dry. To solve the pounding issue on any pilot house/cuddy, the suspension seats and bean bags work great. Being tall on a Parker works fine for our family with the tallest member at 6’8”!

Reactions: Shewillbemine
Upvote 0

Kirk951

May 20, 2016
Canyon Lake
Name
Kirk Lessley
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
I have a 28' Grady White 272 that might be up for sale soon. Getting a 35' Cabo. Twin 250HO motors with 180 hours. I get 1.9 mpg average and she does 50 mph. It's a 2000 model with everything including FLIR. I'm 6'3" and plenty of head room. I-Dock system, 1000w with Airmar 175HW, 50 gallon bait tank, no bottom paint, 30 rod holders, 2 radios, 2 bait pumps, 4 bilge pumps, high water alarm, bait sentry, new auto pilot, stereo. 205 gallons of fuel so you get about 400 miles of range. Slipped in Seaforth and have the bottom cleaned weekly. Same hull as the newer 282. Comes with 3 axle trailer.

Boat2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
It's complicated
I think a 28' outrage would do just fine. did you ride it in chop? what made you think it would be rough?

Upvote 0

Boosh

Aug 9, 2020
San Diego
Name
Dale
Boat
None-looking
I think a 28' outrage would do just fine. did you ride it in chop? what made you think it would be rough?

Didn’t ride it, read lots of comments about the ride and when I asked the owner he said you have to slow down, not a deep V like other boats.

Upvote 0

uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
It's complicated
Didn’t ride it, read lots of comments about the ride and when I asked the owner he said you have to slow down, not a deep V like other boats.
gotcha. i have a 27' whaler challenger i'm building out to a fishing vessel. you're welcome to come ride it once its ready and see what you think.

Upvote 0