Mr. DRE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 23, 2019
West Hills, CA
Name
Andre
Boat
Private
Need help with Dauntless 500N. When I tighten the drag significantly (past 10 lbs) the free spool is reduced and the handle is hard to turn when in gear. The tighter the drag is set the harder it is to turn the handle when in gear. I opened it up, did not see anything out of place, cleaned it, lubed it and closed it back up and its the same. Any thoughts?

Reactions: abj5150

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
Need help with Dauntless 500N. When I tighten the drag significantly (past 10 lbs) the free spool is reduced and the handle is hard to turn when in gear. The tighter the drag is set the harder it is to turn the handle when in gear. I opened it up, did not see anything out of place, cleaned it, lubed it and closed it back up and its the same. Any thoughts?
The symptoms you describe indicate that the side plate bearing is bad. The more load the harder to turn the handle. (Some call it the pinion bearing).
If you can take the side plate bearing out you will find that it turns very rough or not at all. If you do the work yourself the part number is B-1272.

Reactions: jdc946

Mr. DRE

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 23, 2019
West Hills, CA
Name
Andre
Boat
Private
Thank you for the response Al. I do basic cleaning and little more I shipped it out today should be in your hands tomorrow.

Reactions: abj5150

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
Wow! Got the reel back already talk about quick turn around. Feels as good as new.
Glad to hear that you are satisfied.