Apr 15, 2014
Name
Alan Williams
Boat
18' Hewescraft
I have a 10 year old, 18', soft top, Hewscraft. I purchased the boat 3 years ago, from an owner in the Portland area, mostly used in the columbia. I fish salt water in the San Juan Island/ Northern Puget Sound.. I have been told that when one "forgets" to put the plug in and the bilge fills with salt water that even though it is drained and flushed with fresh water the salt water can penetrate between the aluminum hull and the floatation material where it can cause corrosion over time.. Has anyone had any experience with this problem?. The boat is trailered and stored in a dry boat shed. I have never moored it in a marina. I flush it after every use in a freshwater lake or river. I have pulled the floorboards up on the rear half of the boat I do not see any evidence of corrosion on the exposed metal, I have not attempted to remove any of the floatation material as I am unsure how is the best way to remove it and how and what to replace it with after checking.

Second question. The flooring material is what appears to be marine grade plywood. The underside was quite wet, but does not show any signs of deterioration. I have dried it out and it appears to be in good condition. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to paint the underside with a good grade of marine paint to retard any damage in the future?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
If it was rinsed thoroughly with fresh water and the foam is dry, you should have no issue with corrosion. Painting any bare wood, marine grade or not, is a good idea.

Reactions: Bella star
Upvote 0

kj6883

Capt Kirk
Oct 19, 2007
Clovis Ca.
Name
Kirk James
Boat
Custom Davis pilothouse w/250 hp Honda ( OFF SITE 2 ), 25'Skipjack fisherman
Alan I see this almost every day. This is what I do. This is very hard to stop now. If it was mine I would pull the floor and flood the bottom of the hull with a salt x sol. and let it stand for a day or so . If the foam has soaked up water it will have salt in it and will need to be removed, ck this 1st before flooding. As for the floor/deck sealing the plywood is always good. Good luck Kirk

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    No Pain-t. Your aluminum needs to breath. Do some Research on Aluminumalloyboats.com if you have not already done so. Painting over corrosion is a feel good bandaid that hides it and allows the corrosion to fester. To paint aluminum takes more steps than painting wood or steel or fiberglass.

On Ifish.net there is a thread on foam in the boat and motor sub forum currently. Foam is the cheapest way to meet the CG requirements. All boats under 21' need to float if the flip or develop a leak. All boats with foam soak up water. Nature of the foam.

This sub forum on BD is more to do with fiberglass boats than aluminum boat's. Not as many Tin boats in Kalli Town as there is in Oregon or Washiville. Peace to all of my kalli sisters down south[emoji238] [emoji207]

Upvote 0
    Apr 15, 2014
    Name
    Alan Williams
    Boat
    18' Hewescraft
    Thanks for the imput guys, I appreciate the quick response.. I am going to invest in some SaltX and flush the bilge area.

Upvote 0