Jun 30, 2022
North Carolina
Name
Braden
Boat Name
Sushi
Looking for a little insight on a couple of wahoo rods I want to build in the near future.

Rods will be fished out of a 28 ft mako high speeding so I'm using a 4'6" xxh blank rated 50-80. The butt pairs up nicely with the #2 Aftco unibutt regular due to the fact that it'll rarely leave the rod holder. I guess my main area of concern are the guides. What size, how many, does the brand matter that much? (not spending $400 on winthrops). How many times do i wrap on the rollers? Any suggestions on a good roller top? Lastly, any suggestions on where to get materials/components that preferably is not mudhole???

Other than that, any other suggestions and tips are welcome for a rookie in the offshore rod building game. Thanks.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat Name
sunk it
Voodoo rods is a great outfit for rod building stuff, if they don’t have what you need anglers workshop is good too.
Triple wrap should be adequate for trolling rods, 1 base layer and 2 over the feet
4’-6” seems pretty short to me but maybe that’s just me? I’d want more bend in the rod for wahoo than that short would provide

Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
Aug 10, 2008
nassau NY
Name
Richie
Boat Name
32 albe
yes guides do matter ..I would use a Winthrop stripper & tip fuji between ..W/T 30 class will do the job..

I would not use any other guides unless you like problems..under wrap once over wrap twice ..I use A under & B over on heavy guides...Using C or D thread will only add bulk.. I stay away from Mudhole or AMT brand components ..

Upvote 0