1fish2fish

May 30, 2012
Houston
Name
Aaron
Boat
None
Hi all.
New here posting, but a watcher for a long time. Getting cabin fever, thinking of building a jigging rod. Posted same questions on 360 Tuna, but BD seems to be a bit more active. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Looking for a light “multi-purpose” “jigging” rod to cover a range of fishing I do. (yes, I realize it will be a compromise). Will probably build, but not opposed to a finished rod. I’ve poured over many many posts here and other forums.

Most of my fishing opportunities are offshore Texas for red snapper, but I also get out to floaters or make it to Venice from time to time, so would like to be able to use for tuna (blackfin and yellowfin 40-80 lbs are most likely). Also off Texas, the occasional chance for AJs, etc. Private boats or charters, not party boats.

Most of our snapper fishing is 5 or 7 oz. snapper slappers or Lucanis style jigs, so not working jigs too much. And some bait, both live and dead.

Floaters and Venice would be jigs in the same weight range, I suppose.

SPJ is intriguing, but realize that is a whole different calculation.

I have a Seigler SG that I plan to use on it. (Weighs 15.7 oz spooled, currently spoiled with 65# Braid. For tuna might consider re-spool 50# hollow to increase capacity).

Want a very light rod that is sporting for snapper, but capable for larger stuff and will balance nicely with the reel. I do have some larger options, so the light setup is more for sport.

I don’t have an opportunity to check out blanks or rods, so flying a bit blind, here. Any comments would be appreciated.

I’m considering:

Black Hole Cape Cod Special

All the blanks are light and plenty strong for what I’m most likely to tackle, so comes down to optimizing.

Thinking the 150 g is a good size? I’ve seen comments from Kil Song that it will handle heavier jigs than the spec, especially if slower jigging.

Also considering United Composites. Trying to understand the differences between the options and what is a good choice:

GUSA Jigging

US55XO PE3-5 Lure: 75-200 g Max Drag 15 lb (is this accurate or rated low?)

US55XOS PE4-6 Lure: 150-300 g Max Drag 22 lb

A bit heavier (an ounce or so) on blank weight

CXJ

Zeus

OTI Fathom Blade. Price and finished rod weight decent.

Others?

If I build, blue prints would be nice. I’d rather not have to spend a huge amount of time doing load testing to get guides optimized, planning to acid wrap.

Thanks

Hammer

Reactions: mulleteyerods
Upvote 0

FalconerRods

Sep 11, 2016
Birmingham, AL
www.facebook.com
Name
Bill Falconer
Boat
Hobie Mirage Outback
IMO the Black Hole 150g or 250g Cape Cod Special will fit the bill and are a very high quality product available as a blank. The challenge there (to me) is that you are limited in available blank lengths (6' &5'8").

I might also check out the Batson RCKJB Blanks. I think the blanks rated for 250g would be on the money and they are available In 6', 6'6", 7', and 8' lengths. Very light for how powerful they are.

Finally, I also really like the Thrasher TRJ blanks if you don't mind a 6' length. Either the 100g-250g or the 200g - 325g would likely work well for you.

FWIW, I find these are also excellent all around bottom and live bait blanks even though they were designed for speed jigging. I have been building bottom rods for Snapper Anglers out of Louisiana and Alabama on these blanks for years and people love them...very versatile and durable due to the thick walled jigging design.

I hope this helps! Please reach out directly if you have questions.

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
Aug 10, 2008
nassau NY
Name
Richie
Boat
32 albe
Thanks Capt Richie.

Any comments on which options would have blue prints available (especially for Acid guide layout)?

blue prints ? every custom rod is just that ..and guide type & layout depends on several factors...blank OD, action , taper . tip size , reel & reel seat placement..blank length ..

as far as acid wrapped its pretty easy to figure out...I use a four guide transition..one at zero one at one eighty & the middle two split the difference 45 & 135 ..I tend to use #10 guide on larger rods # 8 on thinner ..

pretty easy 4" apart on most blanks the line must touch the rings on all four guides under load..all loads not just heavy ..

but if you use a high quality blank such as a UC its really not necessary to acid wrap..just keep the guides as small as possible ..no need for a 25 or 20 ring guide in a MN frame I like to use LC guides ,,

UC blanks give you a smooth & powerful lift ..unlike many other jiggers that are hard & brittle & benefit from an acid wrap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1fish2fish

May 30, 2012
Houston
Name
Aaron
Boat
None
Thanks Capt Richie.
I guess with blue prints request, I was assuming that a given blank was consistent from blank to blank and that not much customization is necessary. I could see customization to fit to various reels is important, especially with a spinning reel, given a greater variation in height (is it called height on a spinner?, maybe depth is more appropriate?). But think guides are consistent and don’t need tweaking.
I don’t understand why blank quality affects benefits of acid guides. I could see how action and bend might effect since the twisting moment changes. And could see how smaller guides help since they aren’t as tall, so also reduce twisting.
Am I overlooking something?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Capt Richie

Atlantic Custom Tackle
Aug 10, 2008
nassau NY
Name
Richie
Boat
32 albe
blank quality ? design & quality will affect how stable a blank is ..some blanks snap to one spot & stay on that spot even under load...they roll much less and in a few cases almost zero...
lower quality blanks tend not to snap to one spot but have several different spots ..these blanks benefit from an acid wrap since it helps with rod roll..

design , quality of material & quality of the lay up of the blank tends to show in how stable a blank will fish..also the build ..ever a high quality will suffer from a low quality build

beware of blanks MFG who acid wrap their rods or recommended it..

Upvote 0

1fish2fish

May 30, 2012
Houston
Name
Aaron
Boat
None
Thanks for the additional information. So it’s almost like the lower quality blanks have multiple splines, which changes the stability curve at different loads? Maybe not completely accurate description, but concept is close? Acid can help mask that. Even with a high quality blank, the twisting moment from the guides is improved by acid. Maybe not as big of improvement, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1fish2fish

May 30, 2012
Houston
Name
Aaron
Boat
None
Leaning towards Black Hole 250. Given the time I’ll put into the rod, the extra money for the blank isn’t a big factor. If I added up the hours I’ve spent researching and pondering already I’m already underwater before starting (even if only priced at minimum wage). If it’d done the time calculation weeks ago at the beginning, I probably would’ve just started with a post “what’s the best jigging rod I can buy for $1000 and my first born child”.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Leaning towards Black Hole 250. Given the time I’ll put into the rod, the extra money for the blank isn’t a big factor. If I added up the hours I’ve spent researching and pondering already I’m already underwater before starting (even if only priced at minimum wage). If it’d done the time calculation weeks ago at the beginning, I probably would’ve just started with a post “what’s the best jigging rod I can buy for $1000 and my first born child”.
Based on your intended uses from your first post, you may find the Black Hole 250 to be too much rod.

Reactions: 1fish2fish
Upvote 0

1fish2fish

May 30, 2012
Houston
Name
Aaron
Boat
None
Still pondering the blank. I’m actually leaning towards a 2 piece. Would be nice option to have something that travels well.
Currently think BH CCS 2 piece 150g.

Questions:
How much action performance difference is there between the 2 piece and single? The 150 g one piece is moderate fast action in 1 and 2 piece versions.
I’m guessing any performance difference is minimal the vast majority of the time. I know this question is subjective.

Here’s a non-subjective question.
Is the 2 piece blank actually 3.7 oz as listed on the BH specs? The one piece is listed at 5.3 oz. Enough difference to make it noticeable even on a finished rod.

Thanks

Upvote 0

1fish2fish

May 30, 2012
Houston
Name
Aaron
Boat
None
Just to close the loop and for future reference and searches, I did get Black Hole Cape Cod Special Jigging 2 piece, 150 g blank. Right on spec at 3.70 oz (1.94 butt section, 1.76 tip).

Reactions: Pacific Jigger