HELP!!! Shelter Island Port Master Plan REMOVES PARKING LOT

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Jason, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Can't Parker

Can't Parker Me

Name:
    Doug
    Boat:
    2530 Parker
    Please all write in, well worth the time. Done. Here's what I wrote if someone wants to use any of this:

Dear San Diego Port and Ca. Coastal Commission,

I am against the current proposed master plan for Shelter Island as it impacts public usage, boater parking and the co located and integral use of the newly improved Shelter Island Boat Launch ramp. This parking lot in its current location is part of the launch ramp system and is a longstanding public resource, heavily used and loved by the community for decades. Also, as your aware this boat ramp is one of the busiest in the country. The Shelter Island Boat Ramp and the adjacent integral boat trailer and public parking for the community must not be sacrificed.

Each and every parking space must be saved in the current parking lot location adjacent to this heavily used public resource.

My suggestion is to beautify and improve the current parking lot footprint so as not to impact the use of the system without sacrificing ANY boater or public parking spaces. There are many opportunities to greatly improve the multi-function the use and aesthetics of the parking lot area without sacrificing the current boater parking function and co-location next to the boat ramp. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further any specific suggestions.

Last, thank you for your openness and involving the community in the review process. I would encourage you and the teams to take a step back and rethink this one.

Nick and Ctony.clark like this.
  2. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a
    Just another reason why I should put a check mark on why I should or shouldn't purchase a boat again!

Hope the email helps guys.

Robert

3. aahsalot

aahsalot CCASDDUDE

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    26' World Cat / twin Hondas
    To whom it concerns,
    The recently published proposal to "repurpose" Shelter Island property is clear evidence that the "Planners" responsible for the proposal are unfit to govern.
    Abandonment of the iconic San Diego Marlin Club to allow for a small number of parking spots is akin to evicting your Grandmother to accommodate a "Short term vacation rental". The Club should be preserved as a Monument to the rich history of Recreational Angling in San Diego that it has represented since 1931.
    The destruction of the Trailer Parking area will terminate a UNIQUE resource that is the foundation of the recreational maritime experience in San Diego for trailer boaters. With the completion of the new launch ramp the already "busiest launch facility in Southern California" will see even greater utilization than in the past. Would the entities that contributed millions of dollars to that project have done so if they had suspected the Port intended to remove access to tow rig parking at the facility? Have any of the "Planners" visited the Trailer Parking Area on a Summer afternoon to see the number and size of the modern tow rigs used by boating enthusiasts? I have never seen the existing grass/beach areas on Shelter Island filled to capacity but I have seen the parking area in that condition many times.
    Maybe one should consider the concept that boat owners must be relatively high earners to participate in the passtime and as high earners they have the pleasure of paying significant taxes, which support the salaries of many bureaucrats. Why must the trailer boat community face persecution for their pursuit of a lifestyle born decades ago in San Diego?
    We have Paradise 'cause we put up a parking lot...

Sincerely,
    S. Mote
    V.P. Coastal Conservation Association of California, San Diego Chapter

4. jigstrike

jigstrike SCUBA Spearing Daddy

Name:
    Tom McKinney
    Boat:
    Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
    I sent in an email, but I also read the plan. It is clear that reconfiguration of the parking lots west of the ramp is being proposed, but it wasnt clear that the parking lot to the east, the trailer parking, was being suggested for reconfiguration.

Also, the parking lot spaces are to be replaced with diagnol street parking on both sides of the street. If the net number if spaces is the same this might not really be a problem. Does anyone have further information? I couldnt tell for sure. I think the idea is that by using the street, which will also be narrowed in its drivable width, and diagonal parking, the net area required to park the same number of cars is reduced by the lanes in the parking lot not being needed and this area is added to the existing bayside park area.

Another way to look at this is now we have 2 roads on the island, shelter island drive and the road inside the parking lot to get to your space. The change is to eliminate that second road inside the lots by reconfiguration

Granted that doesn't address the marlin club

Nick likes this.
  5. Jason

Jason I break stuff @ BD Admin

Name:
    Jason
    Parking cars isn't the problem. It's trailers and tow rigs. By putting in street parking they will be reducing car parking as well. Right now the parking lot is double the amount of parking spots that they will have on the street.
    They are also going to create more traffic backups on the street with the diagonal parking as people wait for others to pull out so they can have a spot. I think whoever came up with this plan hasn't spent any time down there during the summer and think the area needs more concessions to bring in more money for the area. Just charge us for trailer parking but put in a wash down hose like the rest of CA does.

The parking lot is designated Shelter Island Shoreline Park.

PD1.11 Allow for sand replenishment or nourishment projects to maintain and enhance beach areas at Kellogg Coastal Access and Shelter Island Shoreline Park.
    PD1.12 Major redevelopment and new development in the Commercial Recreation land use designation shall provide and/or contribute to a minimum 12-foot wide continuous promenade along the water’s edge.
    PD1.13 Accessway Corridors are intended to provide physical and visual access to the basin or Bay, in areas designated for Commercial Recreation land use.
    a. Accessway Corridors shall have a minimum 20-footwide multi-use path.
    b. At least one Accessway Corridor should occur on every lease premises or development site in order to provide a connection from the basin side to Shelter Island Drive. If a lease premises or development site is greater than one-quarter mile in length along the basin, then a minimum of two Accessway Corridors should be provided.
    c. The following amenities shall be permitted within the Accessway Corridor: street furniture including fixed or movable seating, bike racks, planters, plants less than 3-feet in height, public art, educational installations, directional and wayfinding signage, and shuttle and/or transit facilities.
    d. Tree planting shall be permitted if located on either edge of the Accessway Corridor to frame and maintain 50 percent visual porosity through the middle of the accessway. i. All trees canopies shall begin at a minimum of 8-feet above ground.
    e. No building or associated architectural features such as awnings, projecting signs, or structural cantilevers shall be permitted in an Accessway Corridor.
    f. The following obstructions may be permitted if they do not restrict physical and/or visual access to the waterfront or Accessway Corridor: guardrails, bollards, walls or fences less than 3-feet in height.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Olddog8 likes this.
  6. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Please don't suggest charging us for parking or a washdown area.

tuna sniffer likes this.
  7. aahsalot

aahsalot CCASDDUDE

Name:
    Steven
    Boat:
    26' World Cat / twin Hondas
    Good show gentlepersons (sic)...
    Keep this thread alive to muster the family.
    We are strong, but if we are not vocal no one will hear...!

8. McFly

McFly Newbie

Name:
    Curt
    Boat:
    21' Parker center console
    This reminds me of the BS they are trying to do at Mission Bay.

Getting rid of the golf course and camp-land.

9. Low N Slow

Low N Slow Senior Chief

Name:
    Shawn
    Boat:
    Thresher 21' CC (Yellow Fever)
    I use MCRD as well and that ramp is dilapidated. Eventually they're gonna have to fix it and then we'll be forced to use Shelter Island or Pepper Park or Glorietta Bay. Shelter and MCRD are closest to the harbor mouth, so I like to use them.

10. OILAGER

OILAGER Hecho en Estados Unidos

Name:
    Wayne
    Boat:
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    Was the Port of SD waiting, perhaps vulturing for other state entities to finish paying for the SI remodel then come up with this plan? Probably not. Does SI make any money for the Port of SD? No. So what's a quasi-public agency to do? They look at under performing properties/land under their control and try to come up with a plan that'll generate a positive cash flow with an emphasis on growth industries. Without opening up another sack of arguments, fishing is not a growth industry in SD or anywhere else in California, unless you're talking about fish farming.

When I looked at the Port of SD's 2018 financial report I was shocked to see cruise ship passenger numbers in SD drop from 813,000 in 2009 to 259,000 in 2018. Why? That industry has had major growth during the same time frame. But the revenue from the resort sector grew over 60% during the same period . San Diego is trying to expand even further into a vacation destination city, which is probably the best way to generate jobs, taxes etc... Could the local sportfishing industry capitalize on this expansion? Sure, by coat-tailing with these billion dollar resort companies and pitching their product to organizations that have conventions etc... in SD. Fred Hall ain't enough. How many of the 135,000+ Comic-Con weirdos booked a fishing trip? Tell them its a trip to Aquaman's neighborhood and they'll line up for it. I've had many, generally non-angling friends go to places like Cabo or Cancun and jump on a charter to go fishing because it was pitched as part of the experience of being there.

I hope you guys can get some clarification on what the real plans are because I really love the SI ramp and would hate to bend a prop on an inexperienced SeaDoo or paddle board rider that got in my way after they rented it from one of the new hotels. But I'm also mindful of the 12 year fight over a vegetable garden in Los Angeles between the locals and developers, the very liberal city council voted 12-0 in favor of the developers.

11. willit float

willit float Member

Name:
    Em
    Boat:
    20' Livesay Offshore Utility
    Catering to special interests.

12. michael e. bingham

michael e. bingham Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Pura Vida
    Boat:
    Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
    I can't see how the port District could possibly do such a stupid thing , san diego is a hugh water oriented town that generates millions of dollars from the boating community, fuck the tourist its time to do something for us residents, the people who support our town , the best thing to do is start a recall of the person who came up with this hair brain idea theres strength in numbers and the boating community needs to see this thru until it ends in our favor

13. Jurel Hunter

Jurel Hunter It's JUST Fishing

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    FV Soldandgone
    For matters like this, I think numbers are more important than word choice. Be sure to write in something, even if you write in one sentence that you are opposed to removing parking from Shelter Island Boat Launch and the Marlin Club.

To Who It May Concern at Port of San Diego:

Along with other private boaters in the San Diego area who access the Shelter Island Boat Launch, I stand in strong opposition to removing current parking spaces and relocating them to where Marlin Club is currently located. This would be a massive disruption to for all of us who want access to our waterways, and removal of the Marlin Club would be a significant loss of heritage to America’s Finest City. Moreover, it shows both lack of understanding of your citizens’ desires, and an absolute dearth of judgment regarding planning matters and utilization of our resources. Why spend taxpayer’s money to redevelop the boat launch only to make it less usable for its citizens? As it stands now, on busy days, there is already a shortage of parking spaces for vehicles with trailers. I can only wonder who stands to benefit from this plan - clearly, not the general public. These proposed changes in the master plan are absolutely offensive, and will not move forward without considerable push back and voter retaliation against those who support it.

14. Ctony.clark

Ctony.clark Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tony Clark
    Boat:
    Freedom Boat Club
    Damn shame what is happening here in California, was such a fantastic state for Outdoor recreation just a few decades ago. It is the rate of the transition from individual liberty, freedom and property rights to a more “Social and Global” oriented Society most miss, like the boiling frog, it’s often too late once you realize what just happened. Speak Up and we must vote.

Mossback and sdjfish like this.
  15. lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    :smoking33:
    Time to buy kayaks, plenty of beaches to launch and park at

16. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    I was involved with the launch ramp from the beginning and have a few contacts with the Port. I reached out to them and they could not find any info to support the claims that have been made. Can someone point out to me in the master plan linked here in this thread where it says that the parking is going to disappear in favor of a greenbelt? I can not find anything specific, or even general, where it hints at this. When I get this info, I will proceed with the Port.

Thanks

17. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Comic Con weirdos LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

18. elskel

elskel Newbie

Name:
    Brian Knott
    Boat:
    21' Baja Bayrunner
    I sent letter and my wife sent one also.

19. elskel

elskel Newbie

Name:
    Brian Knott
    Boat:
    21' Baja Bayrunner
    We both, received confirmations from port authority and coastal commission they received the letters. Super easy and quick.
    bk

20. brice

brice Mañana

Name:
    brice
    Boat:
    Grady 226
    Sent.