Royal Star 200# Club
Sep 28, 2011
Mountain View
Name
Jonny
Boat
SD landings
Hello all~

I'm starting on the first rod I've built in over 6 years, and I am having a horrible time sourcing some specific components. Unfortunately, the shop in SoCal I found these from in the past is out of business.

The component I'm really looking for is a thread extension that allows the reel seat to open wider for larger footed reels (see both photos). I'm specifically looking for something compatible with a Fuji DPS style -20 size, which means the OD of the piece is ~21.5mm. I've found two places with a version in stock, one in Australia and one in France, and I would much prefer to buy from a USA distributor for shipping cost and time.

The nice to have is a Fuji DPS-LD 20, which has the longer nut (arrow pointing to the longer nut in the photo with two reel seats). I haven't found this anywhere, not sure if Fuji discontinued it or what.

Im planning to wrap a Blackhole 350g rod, acid wrapped, to fill the void in my vertical jigging quiver...

Thank you so much in advance!

Jonny

Fuji DPS LD-20 and thread extension.jpg

Thread Extension for Fuji 20 reel seat.jpg

Upvote 0

Nirvana

But I don't want to edit this section
Aug 20, 2010
Sequim, WA USA
Name
Grant Darby
Boat
Which one?
Why not just use a section of the threaded barrel from a size 20 seat? Make it any length you want. Cut carefully to match the threads.

Reactions: Hotroddin
Upvote 0

Doberman

Almost A Member
Feb 19, 2015
Virginia Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
Trident 13
1621112163635.gif

They have everything you are looking for. Located in Japan, so you will have to pay for international shipping. Voodoo sell matagi components. Maybe they can get it for you…

Reactions: dsl
Upvote 0

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
Sep 28, 2011
Mountain View
Name
Jonny
Boat
SD landings
Hey @dalurker do you know a USA vendor that carries the ALPS parts? I went through every vendor ALPs list on their website, and the only ones that stocked this part were the oversees ones.... (maybe I missed one, but i spent 2+ hours this morning looking at them all)

On the ALPS site, you can add to wishlist, but then that points you at their standard list of vendors.

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Upvote 0

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
Utmost can get anything in the Batson/Rainshadow Catalog. (Alps)

Utmost is about 1/2 mile from Batson/Rainshadow.

Call Utmost and talk with Carol. 360 588 6678

Utmost website is:

Count me lucky, I am 10 miles from Utmost, Batson/Rainshadow, and Pac Bay.

Mic Batson owns Utmost and is Bill Batson's Uncle.

Ask for the latest Batson/Rainshadow catalog also.

Upvote 0

RWP

Almost A Member
Mar 31, 2021
VB
Name
Ryan
Boat
Kayak
The fore grip doesn't have to touch the reel seat. You can leave 3/4" of space and put whatever you want there.

Thread and some epoxy would do.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Don't think you'll find the LD nut and extension from anyone in the USA. Order from Matagi. He usually ships pretty fast.

If you somehow manage to find the parts elsewhere, by the time you buy the DPS reel seat, LD nut, and the extension, the cost will prob be the same or more than Matagi + shipping. I'm not aware of any cheaper or easier way to get a DPSLD and it's even more difficult in sizes larger than 18.

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel
    Hey @dalurker do you know a USA vendor that carries the ALPS parts? I went through every vendor ALPs list on their website, and the only ones that stocked this part were the oversees ones.... (maybe I missed one, but i spent 2+ hours this morning looking at them all)

On the ALPS site, you can add to wishlist, but then that points you at their standard list of vendors.

Thanks again everyone for the help!
    Not sure where you are located, but ~
    as posted, Utmost Industries are in Sequim WA.
    Utmost Industries Rainshadow/Alps/Forecast

OR;
    you can contact @Darin Dohi : 310RodWorks in L.A.
    [email protected]
    (310) 817-5145

malanx

Royal Star 200# Club
    Sep 28, 2011
    Mountain View
    Name
    Jonny
    Boat
    SD landings
    Thank you everyone!

Just as an update, I decided to order through Matagi. Based on my experiences using high drag on both conventional and spinning reels, I really wanted to stick with the LD reel seat, as I know it holds up well under heavy (20++ pounds) of drag. Since they were the only place to get that reel seat, I went for them.

I really appreciate all of the feedback and help~

Upvote 0

Latest posts