Help picking a boat?

MikeKilo

Dec 5, 2012
OC
Name
Mike
Boat
In the works
Thanks for looking, I'm still kind of new to my selection of boats out there. Hoping BD can show me some more options than what I have found myself. Here's some of my checklist:

Family friendly boat to be able to take wife and kids; 1yr and 2.5yr for easy cruises.
Enclosed bathroom.
Fishable to be able to go off shore with 2 to 3 other buddies. I don't know my boundries just yet but would like as much options offshore budget can buy.
Max budget maybe 60k?
Trailerable, will be parking it next to garage with a 12 ft opening between garage wall and property brick wall. Truck will be a 2wd Tundra.
Prefer it to be outboard engines.
Willing to drive across state to get the right boat. I have personally pinned it down to 1 boat which there aren't many around but maybe there are other options out there! Thanks in advance.

Mr Main22

Shoot em & cook em
Apr 18, 2014
Open Ocean
Name
BajaLifeStyle
Boat
Parker 21
More often than not..don't buy a boat for the ladies or the kids. They will probably equate to a small percentage of use on the boat. I've seen this happen so many times and in the end, they end up losing money to buy another boat capable of what they're looking for. Buy something possibly what you like and take an REI 5 gal bucket with you, the ones that have those seats and that will suffice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PaDDy Killer'

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
I agree with Big Tuna. A Striper or Proline would be a great boat for what you want to do. I had a 2601 striper for 10 years that treated me great, learned a ton fishing it and upgraded once I knew what I wanted and didn't want on my next boat. What I liked about the Striper besides the price was the 160 gallon tank. It also has a enclosed head, I ended up removing for sleep space.

Upvote 0

PaDDy Killer'

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 9, 2008
Santa Clarita
Name
Patrick
Boat
Parker 2520 & 17' Whaler
Buy this. Or older Grady Sailfish
Tundra would suck pulling that boat if it can at all. No bait tank with the dog house taking up the deck too. Killer boat tho.

Upvote 0

MikeKilo

Dec 5, 2012
OC
Name
Mike
Boat
In the works
Thanks for the quick responses so far everyone. So the boat I was considering was a grady-white 268 islander. 26ft with 8'6" beam which allows it to be legal to tow without permit. Has enclosed bathroom, sleeps two comfortably, has small space for sink, portable stove, microwave and fridge. Problem is, it seems that they are slim picking and those that do come up becoming pending contract within 24 hours. I am talking with someone on facebook currently, he has someone looking at the boat this weekend from out of state, if it doesnt work out, I should be next in line.

I guess striper or proline would have enclosed bathroom and fall in that price range
do you know which model proline?
More often than not..don't buy a boat for the ladies or the kids. They will probably equate to a small percentage of use on the boat. I've seen this happen so many times and in the end, they end up losing money to buy another boat capable of what they're looking for. Buy something possibly what you like and take an REI 5 gal bucket with you, the ones that have those seats and that will suffice.
I hear ya, I was interested in the enclosed bathroom because the couple that i've seen doubled as a shower as well. I'm only 5'7 and rest of my family are shorter, we would probably fit in most enclosed bathrooms just fine. Privacy would be appreciated when we have guests and i'd assume i'd be giving weekend cruises to the wife and her gf's time to time to appease her for me having a boat. I'd like to stay married....for now :p

I agree with Big Tuna. A Striper or Proline would be a great boat for what you want to do. I had a 2601 striper for 10 years that treated me great, learned a ton fishing it and upgraded once I knew what I wanted and didn't want on my next boat. What I liked about the Striper besides the price was the 160 gallon tank. It also has a enclosed head, I ended up removing for sleep space.
Looking into 2601 striper now...thanks.

Buy this. Or older Grady Sailfish
Think the Parker is at the right price point? There are couple of things I would want different about it.

Tundra would suck pulling that boat if it can at all. No bait tank with the dog house taking up the deck too. Killer boat tho.
I have a 2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package rated for 11,200 lbs according to the original window sticker info. I also have it upgraded with a 46 gallon gas tank for the towing commute to allow for a little better range. I agree with you about the lack of bait tank and the dog house at the price point.

Upvote 0

a7ewizard

Almost A Member
Jun 4, 2009
SAN RAFAEL,CA USA
Name
WARREN WEISENBURG
Boat
251,PRO-LINE, WIZARD
Pro-Line 251 or 27 Walk. 1997 and newer are wood free hulls and decks.
My 1998 251 is still going strong. 8'6" beam. 175 gas tank. Enclosed head. Stove top and fridge.
That said, there are some compromises. Sitting on the head is tight to the knees. Filler cushion required to sleep 2 in the V birth; it fits between the fridge and head door. Transom bait tank is better for storage than bait.

The pluses are great range and storage and cockpit area since engine is bracket mounted. In sole fish boxes. 18-19 degrees at transom with sharp entry ( rolly on the drift). list of standard features. High gunwale for safety. Cuddy hatch and 4 windows to ventilated the cabin.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
Just join the "in" crowd and buy a Parker...great fishing boat...enclosed cabin for keeping adults and the kids out of wind and spray...curtain pulls across for toilet privacy and you can rig a 3rd sleeping platform between the bunks level to the door step up, using 3/4" plywood on support strips attached to the bunk sides...
...a shower is a luxury the girls won't use when they can go ashore at Avalon and rent a cheap hotel room overnite or spend a couple of bucks at the public showers...ask me how I know....:)

Reactions: MikeKilo
Upvote 0