Help out a brotha?

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 28.5
Alright. I'm still pretty new to salmon fishing and thanks for all the advice. However, I still seem to be getting skunked on these cohos. Fishing 60-100 feet deep and marking lots of fish. Using Red Racer and Purple Haze flashers. Tried coho killers and green octopus hootchies. Trolling at speed where downriggers are running 45 degree angle. Fishing just south of Shishole. Nothing.

Any further advice? Anyone want to go fishing with me? I'm usually free during the day before I have to pick up kids from school. I'll supply boat, gas, gear.

Let me know!

FVSerenity

Captain
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
IMG_9791.PNG
I've always had good luck here, just off the bank in the deeper water right where the red box is. Always had the best luck going with the current. Good luck

Clockwork

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
I usually fish them shallower. In the a.m. I typically run 30 to 45ft deep.

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
A couple things... Fish early, start at first light.

Troll fast, 50-60 degree angle with the current (can be 2.5-4 knts).

White squid with a twinkle skirt inside, double hooks with one hanging back at or just beyond the end of the hootchie.

Big super sharp hooks, 4/0 is what I use.

Strip of brined herring stuck on the top hook. Big strip is fine. Long strip, even better.

Find rips and fish them! (Shiny "rivers" on the surface). Troll a few feet outside the shiny, because the shiny is full of weeds.

Stagger the rods. One at 40, one at 90, so on and so forth.

Get ready... Zzzzz, zzz, fish on!

Where do you fish out of?

BlueFinGrin

Bad Things Happen On Big Fish...
Apr 8, 2006
Blue Marble
Name
Grinner
Boat
A Big One - That Floats
Hey, I would take you up on your offer. I was just up in your area for 5 days looking for a chance to get out on the water. Drove all the way out to Westport, and to La Push too. No luck!!! Upon returning to SeaTac, the TSA guy noticed my rod tube and asked how I had did. My reply...I did not get a line wet! He offered up some intel and showed me pics of his recent trip... just 20 miles south of Seattle!!! Could not believe that I was actually in Seattle with the 80 degree weather for the duration of the trip. Oh well, maybe better luck on my next visit.

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
Morning before 9. Follow the herd. I just start and stay at 75ft-85ft. Hootchie's because the coho killers were getting those pesky shakers. I also like brads cut plug in pink/silver with big dots. Tougher as the day progresses. Either Green can will produce. Also try just running a line with the current from one can to the other until you find a school.

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Thanks everyone for the awesome advice.
FV Serenity - by red box do you mean the "house" in your diagram?
Salmon King - where do you find brined herring? And the only hootchies I've seen are green or glow in the dark. Do you mean white, white?
Critter killer - What do you mean by green can?
Everyone - for depth is that feet of wire or depth of water?

BTW, I'm out of Elliot Bay Marina. Getting out really early is a bit of a pain due to kids drop off, but I might be able to manage. I though cohos were supposed to bite throughout the day.

Let me know if anyone wants to go out!

Thanks!

Mad Impulse

Jun 9, 2010
Beltucky
Name
Scott
Boat
20' Thunderjet
Salmon King - where do you find brined herring? And the only hootchies I've seen are green or glow in the dark. Do you mean white, white?

BTW, I'm out of Elliot Bay Marina. Getting out really early is a bit of a pain due to kids drop off, but I might be able to manage. I though cohos were supposed to bite throughout the day.

Thanks!
They say there's no such thing as a stupid question but you're pushing it. Thick skin brotha . Keep it up you will get one.

Reactions: Barracuda1

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
Ah, that big dark green thing at the point you come around is the green can. You can try cutting in on it but you are best going around on the deeper side. Did you get your boaters safety card?

Be careful they also make some red and yellow ones out there.

There is one at Shilshole and one at Westpoint. Start south of the can at Westpoint, set your gear up away from everyone and then troll north past the can (it's a point, it get shallow) and run a line from Westpoint to Shilshole. Something will bite it. Stay in the deep water away from the shakers.

White, green doesn't matter if the fish are there. They might bite through the day and you might have a good chance between 9-12 tomorrow. Tomorrow should be great. You will be done in an hour.

I understand the kid thing, oh I do......Let us know how you do.

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
Got it. Thank you. It's actually about where I was fishing. I always thought cans were the small floaty things, not the huge buoys...

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
You just buy herring by the package, thaw them a bit in the fridge and then filet like a tiny salmon. Cut in half lengthwise and toss in a ziplock with rock salt. Overnight in the fridge and you have tough bait strips that won't tear off.

I find bait strips makes more of a difference than anything else that I've tried.

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Do ya smoke? Scratch your ass? Bring the dog with you? Do you use scent?

Do you have John's published book on fishing the sound? If not buy one. At John's Sporting Goods in Everett on Broadway. If your new to the area and never fished for Salmon you have a learner's curve to get through.

You doing the right thing by asking for someone to come with you.

Reactions: Barracuda1

BuckFly

Registered LUser
Jun 12, 2009
Black Diamond
Name
Randy
Boat
21' Arima Sea Ranger HT
Let me know if you still looking for someone to go out with you this weekend!!

Later,
BuckFly
206-819-0832

KaiChung

Aug 10, 2009
Newcastle/WA/USA
Name
Kai
Boat
I have John's book - but the info on A10 seems kindof limited compared to A9, for example.

Buckfly - I'm taking the family out this weekend but if you or any of you others want to go during the week, let me know.

Kai

Aug 8, 2011
Seattle
Name
Brian S
Boat
Lip Service
Summary of best advice given so far:
- Herring strips. Easy to make, don't fish without them.
- Speed. Troll faster than 45 degree angle between 2.5 and 5.
- Skip the coho killers, use hootchies, up size your hooks to avoid the millions of shakers.
- Fish in the am as early as possible. Start at 35 on the wire and work your way down from there. I max out at 90.

Also, while true the fish will hit any hootchie, if I only had on set up it would be one of the popular flasher colors followed by a clear/purple spatter back hootchie, with an insert and a herring strip. This has accounted for 90% of our fish so far.

Also, don't ignore a diver rod down the middle at 75 feet w/the same setup. That produces more than the downrigger some days.

FVSerenity

Captain
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours

Thanks!
the house

fishing fanatic

Well-Known "Member"
May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
:frehya2:A can???!!!! Hmmmm.... luckily we aren't in our big Boston whaler in ucuelet cause we would be lost looking for the prime night king spot off the can