@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Since you asked- here’s my two cents.

I’m a lowrance fan. Right now I’m mostly fishing my kayak. Have had and used various Garmin and Simrad units with almost every type of transducer imaginable. Since you will be fishing coastal- what I’m doing primarily- I think you will appreciate the ease of use and customizable functions.

I have the HDS 7 with the total scan transducer and could not be happier. Once you get the settings dialed in you will really start to understand what’s beneath you. Also the transom mount is really easy especially if you’re using the existing holes- I’ve also used the transom saver which is very simple! Plus the navionics chart option is a HUGE bonus IMO.

Here are a few screenshots from my finder.
(Having trouble uploading multiple photos from my phone).
View attachment 1181858
Thanks for the input. I’ve been a huge Lowrance fan over the years mainly because it’s what we use on our off road cars. But when it came to fish finders I wasn’t necessarily much more impressed with their units over the Simrads and Garmins. The new HDS7 is almost $600 more than the Garmin ECHOMAP 7, and when playing with it at WM I didn’t feel like it had that many more upgrades.

Upvote 0

fishja

I've seen bigger waves in the toilet!
Jun 21, 2015
Carlsbad
Name
fishja
Boat
Sold
Thanks for the input. I’ve been a huge Lowrance fan over the years mainly because it’s what we use on our off road cars. But when it came to fish finders I wasn’t necessarily much more impressed with their units over the Simrads and Garmins. The new HDS7 is almost $600 more than the Garmin ECHOMAP 7, and when playing with it at WM I didn’t feel like it had that many more upgrades.

Totally understand. I really like the quick processor and touch screen more than the others mentioned. Again, this is just my opinion. Having the ability to go with the LIVE transducer is something I’m looking forward to. Another vote would be for the Elite7ti2. Almost identical unit and a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Had that one been in stock at my local west marine and I wasn’t in a time crunch I probably would have gone with that.

Another thing worth mentioning is WM will price match pretty much any other major website including amazon as long as it is sold by amazon. They price matched my HDS for me and I saved $189 which you can then use to buy the extended warranty.

Good luck on your search! And yes those fish did bite :)

60A8952B-B0C0-41AA-8AF7-155A06E86A0D.jpeg

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Totally understand. I really like the quick processor and touch screen more than the others mentioned. Again, this is just my opinion. Having the ability to go with the LIVE transducer is something I’m looking forward to. Another vote would be for the Elite7ti2. Almost identical unit and a few hundred dollars cheaper.

Had that one been in stock at my local west marine and I wasn’t in a time crunch I probably would have gone with that.

Another thing worth mentioning is WM will price match pretty much any other major website including amazon as long as it is sold by amazon. They price matched my HDS for me and I saved $189 which you can then use to buy the extended warranty.

Good luck on your search! And yes those fish did bite :)

View attachment 1182216
That pic is almost worth a purchase!

I actually went to WM today because I saw they dropped the price of the 94sv again with the intention to make a purchase. Asked 2 people for help, both ignored me and I waited 30 minutes for someone to come help me and no one showed. So I guess I’ll find a better deal online...

Upvote 0

fishja

I've seen bigger waves in the toilet!
Jun 21, 2015
Carlsbad
Name
fishja
Boat
Sold
That pic is almost worth a purchase!

I actually went to WM today because I saw they dropped the price of the 94sv again with the intention to make a purchase. Asked 2 people for help, both ignored me and I waited 30 minutes for someone to come help me and no one showed. So I guess I’ll find a better deal online...

Try not to take it too personally- most places are struggling with COVID. Btw the WM in Point Loma off rosecrans usually has great customer service. The last 3 times I’ve gone in have been really easy. It’s at least nice for them to smile while they swipe your card :)

Upvote 0

TravisAZ

Almost A Member
Feb 18, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Name
Travis
Boat
Favorite Mistake
Probably both refurbs (garmin is for sure), but:

NSS EVO 3s in the mid 700 range, they have a few diff packages.

Ecomap Plus with the GT51/Ocean (not lake) maps for 779

From what I have seen, the side\down on the new simrad "Active Imaging 3in1" (Totalscan replacement and WAY better) pretty good. Everybody likes the GT51 too - I feel like the NSS is a far superior unit for the money though. Being able to pair my 12in tablet and see\control from there is a pretty big selling point! That works on the Go7 or the NSS.

Reactions: acefuture
Upvote 0