benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
"Third, do not do any overhand knots, or wrap the braid directly over the itself after the tag end of the mono. This will cause a weak spot and failure."

Please clarify. Are you saying do not do any half hitches after you have cut the mono tag end as many of the videos suggest? Which video do you think is the best way to tie an FG Knot?
I don't know which video is best because I haven't watched them all. But, I do not tie any half hitches after cutting the mono tag close. It serves no beneficial purpose. You can also close off the knot with a 6 turn rizzuto which cinches down nicely.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
After watching those videos I tried with 80 ProSpec and 80 Big Game.

First three knots went to 70lb before failure. One on the braid to swivel double palomar and two in the FG knot.

That's about 90%. Good enough for me.

And, it's pretty damn easy to tie. Just need a little tension in the braid. All the finishing crap takes more time then the actual FG.

Now to test my trusty Alberto.

Reactions: JoeInMN

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Test it as a system with opposing knots on spectra/leader and knot to leader. Wear eye protection.
Done!

I tied same FG then an admittedly crappy Alberto. I couldn't get the mono loop all the way out.

Each end of mono crimped.

FG failed again at 70 lbs.

I tied FG end of of braid with double palomar to a swivel and retested.

Crappy Alberto held. 80 Pro spec broke off 1" from knot at 80lbs.

....after one test....Alberto has double the mono to bite into for Chinese finger cuff action.

However. The FG could actually be casted through guides. The crappy Alberto would have a hard time making it through the tip. Shit, even a good one would have a tough time at 80lbs and above.

Still, at 90% on knots above 80lb, I'd probably use FG. But for a short topshot that would never see a guide, the Alberto would be better....for me.

But then again....that was the fourth FG that I really tied.

Reactions: Bill W

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Hmmm...after looking at the photo and the knot again, the braid broke at the knot. That tag is the two hitch and one double hitch knot. Still pretty good.

Anyone know what 80 ProSpec actually tests as? I'm done testing and on to dinner tonight.

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Another option for personal use. Sato system when the challenge counts. Imo the perfect match for hollow. Getting rid of knots.

Reactions: freegaff2

dh515

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
Hmmm...after looking at the photo and the knot again, the braid broke at the knot. That tag is the two hitch and one double hitch knot. Still pretty good.

Anyone know what 80 ProSpec actually tests as? I'm done testing and on to dinner tonight.
The 80 ProSpec solid I have broke at 114, measuring .46mm.

Reactions: Bill W

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Another option for personal use. Sato system when the challenge counts. Imo the perfect match for hollow. Getting rid of knots.
For sure, hollow has many more advatages in terms of connection strength.

But for solid.....this is what I am looking for.

Reactions: ZZZZZ and Bill W

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Just splice a short piece of hollow to the solid opening the hollow connection door. Back to back uni dab of glue.

Buuuuut there are so many styles of fishing. For example I don't use the sato system down here :D but I have my beliefs where it is superior.

Imo just don't rig that can break offten. Keep seeing busting over years from multiple anglers

Visit your bro for a half hour. With a . :cheers:

Reactions: falconer

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
I don't know which video is best because I haven't watched them all. But, I do not tie any half hitches after cutting the mono tag close. It serves no beneficial purpose. You can also close off the knot with a 6 turn rizzuto which cinches down nicely.
Damn, I was doing well, but now I gotta' go figure out what a Riszutto is, thought it was Phil...

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
The Scooter is not involved.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Damn, I was doing well, but now I gotta' go figure out what a Riszutto is, thought it was Phil...
The attached is a good instruct for the Rizzutto Finish. It is nothing but a uni that is unwound backwards.
The Rizzutto starts at 1:40. The asian guy with the british accent is entertaining in itself but the kid is pretty sharp and knows his stuff. Another important part of his video is the very hard cinching down of the FG part of the knot , this is very important. It is of paramount importance to keep the knot from slipping.

http://www.insanefishing.com/fishing-knots/lure-knots/hitchless-fg-knot-with-rizutto-finish-by-mb-custom-lures.html

Walt

Reactions: stephen campbell

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
sato splice. any time you put a bend into any line it weakens it. I pay too much money for the trips I go on to trust my fishing to a fucking knot
And what does a crimp do to the line?

Knots or crimps are not the issue, sharks, pulled hooks and chew offs are... Never had a knot failure yet, but i saw a hook knot fail on the last trip. What you see is a straight cut end with a angled turn on the tip. Apparently the angler was tying a San Diego with a pulled back loop for a ring hook which knot i do not recommend for this as the barrel does not come tight when setting knot.

Really like Morro Bay by the way...

Reactions: shellback

shellback

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 18, 2003
templeton/morro bay
Visit site
Name
shellback
Boat
other peoples
a crimp(compression sleeve) when done properly will never compromise the skin of the mono(the od of the mono is where the strength is). you also have the spectra that acts as a gasket. I think abrasion resisance/ saw offs/chew offs are a lot bigger issue.

still remember the guadelupe macramé from '91 lol- are you ready?

Reactions: stephen campbell

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
a crimp(compression sleeve) when done properly will never compromise the skin of the mono
Sure... but I can tie a 5 turn double uni that will break away from the knot. I won third place at day at the docks on the knot tying contest. Izorline 60 broke at 92# plus. I know you have this in your mind but crimp one end and tie your best knot on the other. YMMV but my knot and your crimp, bet I would win. (since i can tie one that breaks away from the knot)

But the only thing I use that knot for is to win contests and maybe a yo-yo jig. You want a knot not to slip and be small. Along with that my knot makes a loop that works as a ring and cinches tight when you have a fish on. So the knot has more than one quality, it helps you get bit. Same for the FG knot it goes through the guides for a cast better than any other connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: dh515

CHUBACA6

Jul 29, 2007
LA
Name
Oscar
Boat
none yet
Not trying to thread jack but I’ve tied the knot and pulled on it pretty hard and it didn’t break, my question are the wraps supposed to be all wound tight on the knot or is there supposed to be or ok to have some “separation” in between the wraps. I tied 80# braid to 60# floro and the knot feels solid but have some separation on some of the wraps. Thanks, again apologize if I’m thread jacking.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
When you form the FG they should lay next to each other. When you cinch the knot it should find just a little room to separate, more like it digs in to the leader.

CHUBACA6

Jul 29, 2007
LA
Name
Oscar
Boat
none yet
When you form the FG they should lay next to each other. When you cinch the knot it should find just a little room to separate, more like it digs in to the leader.
Bill do you have a picture you can post on one with 60# or greater line? Thanks.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I need help tying a fg in person :D that's the best way to tie a knot sano is from a teacher that can tie it proven sano. In person. Since I'm not using the sato system right now :)

In regards to the best connection going through the guides smoothly. I dunno sato is smooth as butter. The connection weight and drag is not like a 1/16 ounce egg sinker tied connection either. Seamless connection as close to 100% it can get when done properly. 2 crimps each crimped gently twice at 180s. To ensure the finger cuff. Glue. The spectra is the crimping cushion

Would be cool to see, sato vrs fg

Splice in the hollow :rolleyes:

Juanba

CR
Apr 11, 2014
Pt Loma
Name
John John John
Boat
Kayak,Gregor, Panga, Long Range SD
Sato crimp over $1 ea
and you have to buy a $80 tool and
and use a very specific line to crimp size.

FG knot free! , just tye the knot with whatever size line you are using

Solo bueno

Smoother than butter through the guides.

Last edited:

shellback

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 18, 2003
templeton/morro bay
Visit site
Name
shellback
Boat
other peoples
I need help tying a fg in person :D that's the best way to tie a knot sano is from a teacher that can tie it proven sano. In person. Since I'm not using the sato system right now :)

In regards to the best connection going through the guides smoothly. I dunno sato is smooth as butter. The connection weight and drag is not like a 1/16 ounce egg sinker tied connection either. Seamless connection as close to 100% it can get when done properly. 2 crimps each crimped gently twice at 180s. To ensure the finger cuff. Glue. The spectra is the crimping cushion

Would be cool to see, sato vrs fg

Splice in the hollow :rolleyes:
this right here. I make my own insertion and splicing needles and run the mono into the spectra a ridiculously long length. I would rather pay 150$ once for a splicing kit and small change for compression sleeves than wondering about knot failure. the sato system, done correctly is bulletproof.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
this right here. I make my own insertion and splicing needles and run the mono into the spectra a ridiculously long length. I would rather pay 150$ once for a splicing kit and small change for compression sleeves than wondering about knot failure. the sato system, done correctly is bulletproof.
The only bulletproof system is to have BHP make the leader for you. The old silver Sato crimps used to break. I still own a Sato kit but have not used it in over 10 years. Got every known item to make a connection. Really it is time that is a factor.

Sato crimp...
Shape the leader end, put the right size crimp on the spectra, needle on the right size spectra, burn the frizz for a crimp stop, go up the spectra, slide the crimp down to the spectra end and crimp twice.

It works as long as you do not run out of the right size crimps. And it got me bringing a micrometer to be sure. It got me over buying more crimps cause you never know. Some you never use. If the boat uses then then you have a back up supply but many boats do not...

Last edited: