aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
The spectra breaks. See pic. And yes, the half hitches were over both the braid and tag of leader, 2 of them and lightly snugged before pulling.
Can you tie simple over hand knot in the spectra and break it by pulling? If so, then what kind of spectra? If not, I would check the weave, This is an interesting thread.

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
I'll be honest, I've never wet an FG and still never had a failure. I think the wraps weren't tight enough before tying the setting knot.

Reactions: joshc1024

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
Sep 10, 2017
minnesota
Name
Joseph Koep
Boat
American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
I can post a link when I get off work, nomad sport fishing has a video on youtube of how I tie it. No need for tight line between fingers.

Do you have a pick of one before it breaks?

streetnfish

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 7, 2009
south pasadena
Name
Ray
Boat
Float tube
I'll add my 2 cents. I use the same video you posted. For my knots I use 12 wraps on each side for the plait then tie 2 alternating half hitches. Tighten the knot, look for color change then snip flouro tag and do my alternating half hitches (6 each side). Continue testing after that for premature failure. (Want the knot to break with me pulling vs with a fish on). There are many variations along each of these steps as everybody one her is illustrating. The one area where I have found that there is room for a critical error is during the plait/ braiding). There is a certain amount of tension and dexterity needed to make sure that the wraps ,from the beginning, go up and above the previous wraps. It can be very hard to see with lighter spectra wts until you get used to it. I believe the proper amount is variable depending on how you hold the line and your hand size etc but getting the wraps right is critical. As it is a Chinese cuff it does compress on the line. If you have an under wrap I think it is compressing on the braid and cutting it there. In most cases where I tie with say 50lb braid and 50lb flouro, the breaking point is in the spectra a ways above the knot. I have also had bad spectra but it was still breaking way away from the knot and way lighter that the advertised test. So I would practice and pay attention to your plait/alternate wrap section.

Good luck

Reactions: dh515

dh515

Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
Are you wrapping fluoro around braid to do the wraps? If not it can be very easy to screw that part up and get an over wrap but difficult to see.

My own failures in tying this have been when I’ve either cut the tag end of the fluoro too close and knicked the braid or when I’ve damaged the braid when burning the tag end of the Rizzuto.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
What brand spectra? Did you buy it off E-Bay? There is a lot of junk knock off spectra being sold on line, especially Power Pro.
Can almost guarantee that you have bad spectra. To verify,,,buy some locally and retie the FG. Can highly recommend Sufix 832. Or bum about 5 yards off a sympathtic comrade and re test.
In addition the attached link below is a must view. Don't Think it is your problem but it contains valuable information.

Walt

Last edited:

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
As some have suggested it sounds like bad braid material.

I would try some new material just to eliminate that variable first.

I have used many different braid and leader combinations and never had the knot fail. I have also had some line that should have been good turn out to be crap for some reason. So don't overlook the easy stuff.

Only other thing I can think of is that you are just pulling too hard on the knot. With a name like el Toro you must be "Strong like bull!" : )

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Yes, I wrap the flouro around the braid, as shown in the video I posted. I followed it very closely and did it EXACTLY the same. I will try it with some different braid, but when I tie my usual braid to flouro preferred knot (30+ turn Albright) with this same braid it does not break.

Again, somewhere in the knot, the braid is cutting itself off. The problem is, after it snaps, I can't tell where in the knot this is happening.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
If the FG plat just crosses normal the knot always breaks the leader first. If the plat is crossed it will break the spectra cause there is an angled turn against the braid.

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
If the FG plat just crosses normal the knot always breaks the leader first. If the plat is crossed it will break the spectra cause there is an angled turn against the braid.
That sure sounds like my problem, but I don't understand what I'm doing that is creating the scenario.

okie man

Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
Spent the better part of the afternoon tying the fog knot in everything from 20-130 pound braid and never had it break like yours did! Gotta be your braid or technique!

greatbasin

Jun 22, 2007
Idaho
Name
Greg
Boat
Knot Yet
I can tie this pretty well when there's nothing going on, but if fish are blowing up around the boat, forget it! Theres other knots that tie up much quicker and work just fine.

Reactions: colemans224

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Pick up all your stuff,.... go see T.O.T.W., ..... have him tie one for you using your line. If the connection breaks, it's your line that's bad. If it holds, it's probably you technique that's bad.

Be sure to bring a CASE of beer. He may want to make several tests, just to be sure.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Pick up all your stuff,.... go see T.O.T.W., ..... have him tie one for you using your line. If the connection breaks, it's your line that's bad. If it holds, it's probably you technique that's bad.

Be sure to bring a CASE of beer. He may want to make several tests, just to be sure.
This will make for a good start...and a rough finish!

el Toro

Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
This will make for a good start...and a rough finish!
Workable plan!

I tried again with some other spectra, straight off a fresh spool. It’s better, but I can still break it if I really pull. I think my technique is fine as I spent some time really going slow and laying down my wraps perfectly, I think I’m just pulling harder than necessary. I’m using knot puller sticks and giving it hell. I didn’t really think I could pull #65 braid and #60 flouro to the breaking point between my hands but I guess I can. What still troubles me tho is the braid consistently breaks before the flouro. Shouldn’t the lighter flouro break first?

Reactions: dh515

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
What still troubles me tho is the braid consistently breaks before the flouro. Shouldn’t the lighter flouro break first?
When I try to pull the bottom off if something ever breaks it's usually the braid, on the spool or close to it. Not inconceivable that the braid breaks first if there are any weak spots in it.

I'd also be happy to help you figure it out in person next time I'm back home and around PL. It's really fast once you figure it out.