Help me understand wind-on’s / top shots

jimikinz

Jul 10, 2003
Meeker, CO
Name
Jim
Boat Name
None
I’m jumping back into the LR game after a long hiatus. I have always paid some attention what’s going on, and fished other stuff, but the nitty-gritty of big-fish fishing is a little murky. I’m asking mostly as it relates to big gear.

I have an 8-day and a 16-day scheduled in the next 18 months. I have plenty of time to get this figured out, but I’m super dorky about planning and learning new techniques, so….

Re: wind-on leaders and top shot strategy for long trips:
- long top shots or short top shots?
- I assume wind-on leaders preferred over mono/fluoro tied to the braid?
- braid to mono to fluoro? How much of each? Do you do that?
- just braid to short fluoro? When?

Any help would be appreciated. I’m excited about all this!

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat Name
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    You'll get lots of answers. Personally, I just tie a short (10 - 15 ft) fluorocarbon top shot directly to my braid with an RP knot. It works for me. Many people prefer wind ons which they loop connect to a loop in their hollow spectra. Some people use a mono top shot and attach a short fluorocarbon leader. Some people use only mono thinking fluorocarbon doesn't matter. Try this: Get a few spools of fluorocarbon leader, fill your reels with spectra, and have the deckhands make your connection and show you how it's done.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat Name
    Long range fishing
    I don't make them I just call Basil and leave it to him. Zero failure and customer service is the best.
    .........................................................................................................................................................................

Basil Pappas

BHP Tackle, Inc.
    73 Norma Road
    Harrington Park, NJ 07640

Shop: 201-767-9028

iPhone: 201-835-5887

img_main.jpg

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat Name
    N/A :(
    The answer to your question, like with many things in life, is “it depends”. If I’m fishing at night in some heavier weather, I like to have some mono on my reel and only about 6’ of flouro at the end for abrasion resistance. The mono is going to give me some cushion since it has about 25-30% stretch. Conversely, if I’m fishing during a scratchy bite with shitty bait in calmer weather, I’ll tie about 8’ of flouro right to my braid. That will be easier for the bait drag through the water.

Get some flouro, get some mono, befriend the deckhands and ask their opinion on how to set it up when you get close to the fishing grounds.

Upvote 0

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
    Dec 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat Name
    N/A :(
    Or just do as @Soda Pop said and buy a bunch of 25’ wind ons from Basil. I have been on the internet and have been involved in fishing forums for about 25 years and I have never seen or even heard of one of his wind ons failing. Put it like this, in a couple years I’m going to be treating myself to a trip to PEI to fish for (hopefully) a 1000lb BFT on stand up gear. I will, 10000000%, be using a Basil wind on.

Upvote 0

Soda Pop

Feb 12, 2011
    Fresno, CA
    Name
    David Rouse
    Boat Name
    Long range fishing
    Or just do as @Soda Pop said and buy a bunch of 25’ wind ons from Basil. I have been on the internet and have been involved in fishing forums for about 25 years and I have never seen or even heard of one of his wind ons failing. Put it like this, in a couple years I’m going to be treating myself to a trip to PEI to fish for (hopefully) a 1000lb BFT on stand up gear. I will, 10000000%, be using a Basil wind on.
    I was looking at those trips. I don't want to fight a 1,000 bluefin but I sure want to feed them and record them underwater

Upvote 0

jimikinz

Jul 10, 2003
    Meeker, CO
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    None
    Thanks guys. That’s all good info. I think you are right: come prepared for everything and use my first trip to come up the learning curve.

What I’m not seeing mentioned is long sections of mono - 100 yard scale - on top of the braid. Is that accurate?

Upvote 0

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    If it helps I caught a 180lb bluefin on the Indy earlier this month with 100lb braid tied directly to a jig that came with a 3 foot leader with a swivel.

I’ve also caught plenty of fish over the years on straight mono including some big ones.

I think less knots and simpler is the way to go.

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat Name
    none
    You will see less long mono top shots these days. Other than trolling or fishing 40 pound. Many are using 6 to 8 feet of Fluro to braid. Personally I use about 20 feet of Fluro. It will get shorter as you retie. Ask the crew. They are up to date.

Upvote 0

andrewr

Almost A Member
    Aug 24, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat Name
    None
    First, ask the deckhands. They fish every day and can give you the most up to date intel.

My own preference is braid to 100 ft of mono to 3-4' fluoro. Of course I have skipped the fluoro, gone with braid to mono and not noticed a difference. So who knows. Experiment and find your own groove.

Not a wind on fan. Seems to be an added complication and not worth the effort.

Upvote 0

harddrive

Wish I Was Fishing!
    Sep 9, 2004
    West LA
    Name
    Min
    Boat Name
    None
    On one trip, I was arming my buddy who didn't have anything and I ended up using all my wind-on loop to loop from all the sharks. Then I just started to use the Tony Pena or Bob Sands knot for up to 130 and worked well.

FG knot is another option.

For anything over 130 you have to use the wind on loop the loop.

Reactions: RichG and jimikinz
    Upvote 0

Guyster

www.RingedHooks.com
  • Jul 10, 2005
    anaheim
    www.RingedHooks.com
    Name
    Guy
    Boat Name
    none
    I’m jumping back into the LR game after a long hiatus. I have always paid some attention what’s going on, and fished other stuff, but the nitty-gritty of big-fish fishing is a little murky. I’m asking mostly as it relates to big gear.

I have an 8-day and a 16-day scheduled in the next 18 months. I have plenty of time to get this figured out, but I’m super dorky about planning and learning new techniques, so….

Re: wind-on leaders and top shot strategy for long trips:
    - long top shots or short top shots?
    - I assume wind-on leaders preferred over mono/fluoro tied to the braid?
    - braid to mono to fluoro? How much of each? Do you do that?
    - just braid to short fluoro? When?

Any help would be appreciated. I’m excited about all this!
    I have made a thousand wind on’s over the years. I personally like loop to loop and the only knot is at the hook. It is very easy for my kids to replace the wind on’s themselves. I make them in the off season because when I go in the water I want everything to be 100% sano. I have never liked the “seems like it will hold” philosophy. I fish all fluoro topshots about 18’ in length. Unless there are a bunch of sharks around, then I will use mono.

Upvote 0

ChicoBob

Almost A Member
  • Mar 10, 2018
    Chico, CA
    Name
    Robert Wiechert
    Boat Name
    North River
    Braid to 20 ft or so of fluorocarbon tied via FG knot for all line classes. Usually get a couple days of hard fishing before having to tie on a new one. I do use mono for night jigging and dropper loop, 50 feet and same FG connection. I have had 0 failures over many years with the FG.

Reactions: Juanba and jimikinz
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat Name
    Excel, American Angler
    I don't make them I just call Basil and leave it to him. Zero failure and customer service is the best.

I fish 25ft FC wind-on leaders on most of my rigs and then have a couple where I fish solid spectra to short FC top shots for places like the Lupe or when a bite gets tough.
    .........................................................................................................................................................................

Basil Pappas

BHP Tackle, Inc.
    73 Norma Road

img_main.jpg

I'll second this one, I loaded up on Blackwater wind-on leaders from Basil and had him fill several of my Maks with spectra. Good guy and as Soda said his product and customer service are top notch

Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
    Dec 3, 2003
    Bay Park
    Visit site
    Name
    Dave Cairncross
    Boat Name
    Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
    I suggest long mono leaders for sinker rigs, dropper loops, and any terminal connection that uses lots of leader up.
    Short mono or flouro leaders on live bait and trolling rigs.
    For me FG knot is hard to learn (lots of practice), but works excellent for 40# and up.
    RP knot is fast, easy to learn, and ideal for lighter line (had it come undone on 50#) doesn't go thru the guides as well.

Upvote 0

Scott McPherson

Throw a couple of Wilson’s here
    Aug 17, 2017
    Califonia
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Shogun
    There are a lot of good options out there. I’ve found being able to adapt to the situation is of most importance. I use the FG knot for this reason. This is a strong knot that can cast easily if you need a long leader. If you need a long or short leader you can change it easily. If you get in a tangle and your spectre is messed up. Cut it out retie a new leader and your back in the game. The deckhands can help you of course but if the bite is hot maybe not. Cut it tie it cast it. Plus this knot costs zero dollars to produce. Just learn it practice it and go fishing.
    Regards
    Scott

Upvote 0

LEGALWISE

Almost A Member
    Nov 17, 2011
    VALENCIA,CA
    Name
    DON KLAHS
    Boat Name
    INDEPENDANCE

Basil Pappas

BHP Tackle, Inc.
    73 Norma Road

img_main.jpg
    One hundred percent agree. For bigger fish, use hollow spectra with a loop spliced at the end. Then order 25 foot, my preference, fluoro top shots from Basil. Loop to loop connection is easy Peezy, stronger than a knot and Basil‘s top shots never fail. Plus, the cost of his top shots are not that much more expensive than the cost of the fluorocarbon itself. When you land that monster when everyone else is breaking off you will know you did the right thing. Welcome back.

Reactions: jimikinz
    Upvote 0

Mendomike

Apr 1, 2022
    Weimar, Ca
    Name
    Mike Ayers
    Boat Name
    Don’t own a boat
    One thing I would like to add. Each boat and crew have their favorite knots/set ups. I have learned that no matter what you learn on shore the crew has strong opinions on what’s a best practice. Contact the boats office and ask what their preferences are. The crew may be be a little more willing to help if it’s set ups they prefer.

It’s frustrating when you like a set up/knot, master it and the crew members tell you why it sucks.

Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    Cabo 216
    I made a bunch of 60’ length loop to loop top shots with double locks for a friend who wanted 60-100# mono top shots. With the right tools, it’s pretty simple.

Quick to change out and only 1 knot at the hook to worry about.

744C62A6-02AA-42A4-915C-827E8AFBD860.jpeg

Upvote 0

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
    Spokane, Washington
    Name
    Doug Pineo
    Boat Name
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    I suggest long mono leaders for sinker rigs, dropper loops, and any terminal connection that uses lots of leader up.
    Short mono or flouro leaders on live bait and trolling rigs.
    For me FG knot is hard to learn (lots of practice), but works excellent for 40# and up.
    RP knot is fast, easy to learn, and ideal for lighter line (had it come undone on 50#) doesn't go thru the guides as well.
    FG is a great knot, super slim and strong. I tie 15-16 foot flouro leaders to braid with it, in a method I learned from a guy on Youtube. You don't need tension or tools, but a couple pieces of dowell are nice for tightening. I've gotten to where I can tie a good FG knot even on really light freshwater stuff like 10# and 6# flouro

Like everyone else I have Basil's wind ons on my 100# setup, a Penn 16 VSX which has been through Cal's shop, including adding a Tib T Bar handle. Reel is on a UC Viper I wrapped as a rail rod.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat Name
    Leo's
    Hey Jim!

I’m sure you knew opinions would be all over the place when you asked, lol. Here’s another few for what they’re worth. Most everyone’s approach and technique have evolved in the last dozen or so years. I’d say this is both from better technology and refinement of application.

I’ve probably made my way through all of the methods you listed to eventually land on my current preference which is straight solid braid to a fluoro leader. This allows me to go up and down line sizes quickly without having to worry about changing an entire length of mono in between. Although I’d never do this, in principle, I could fish the entire range of a rod’s rating and get away with three bait setups. Still, I can go up or down a line class on any combo with ease. To join the braid to leader, I use the FG. Many love that modified Albright/RP, but I’ve seen too many failures and just don’t like how it feels going through the guides.

Fishing this way, you have to be okay with the feel of braid in your hands all day (stretch tape, gloves, etc. help). And many crews would rather you have some amount of cushion in the chain so there’s that, too.

I know you’re a bit of a trek from the beach, but I think you’d really be able to narrow down what’s going to work best for you guys with a few hours of trying a few different methods out.

Upvote 0

jimikinz

Jul 10, 2003
    Meeker, CO
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    None
    Yah that’s a good take Chris.

We’re actually here in town and went on a full day yesterday. I fished braid to 8 or 10 feet of fluoro. It definitely fished different than the old days. I could imagine the pros/cons on big gear.

I used the RP knot with 50# braid / 30# fluoro. I didn’t have any failures after 9 yellows. Is that knot more difficult to tie in heavier line? It is nice being able to change effective line-class with a small leader change.

I assume you can’t tie knots in hollow braid? If you had solid, you could tie a Bimini and then run a wind-on if you had too?

Reactions: TOTW
    Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat Name
    Leo's
    Yah that’s a good take Chris.

We’re actually here in town and went on a full day yesterday. I fished braid to 8 or 10 feet of fluoro. It definitely fished different than the old days. I could imagine the pros/cons on big gear.

I used the RP knot with 50# braid / 30# fluoro. I didn’t have any failures after 9 yellows. Is that knot more difficult to tie in heavier line? It is nice being able to change effective line-class with a small leader change.

I assume you can’t tie knots in hollow braid? If you had solid, you could tie a Bimini and then run a wind-on if you had too?
    Nice! Sounds like you hammered ‘em!

As you go up in line size, the RP gets pretty bulky since the leader is folded over and doubles the line diameter.

You can definitely do the Bimini for loop to loop. And tying hollow is no problem, either.

Upvote 0