Help me understand (6.5 Creedmoor)

Discussion in 'Washington Hunting' started by richardp, Dec 6, 2018.

1. richardp

richardp I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    I hear a lot about the popularity of the relatively new 6.5 creedmoor. For most hunting folks i don't understand why you wouldn't first look to the 264 winchester magnum? I am guessing ammo/reloading supply availability and price are the driving factors as the former is so popular now that ammo is much cheaper than the latter which is old and "outdated" with less supply and higher prices.

Edit: After digging some more other than ammo prices i think AR-10 folks (& any short-chambered barrel build) looking for something smaller than .308 would look to this creedmoor (.264) as a great go between the .223 and .308. and probably helped drive its popularity. For bolt-action folks i am not seeing this creedmoor as the optimal choice but see this chamber all over the place on bolt-actions.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    The 6.5 caliber has a nice blend of ballistic coefficient and sectional density. This high BC means it resists influences like gravity and wind better than other cals in same weight range. The SD means it will penetrate well on target making it reach vitals and kill efficiently with very tolerable recoil. That being said the 6.5x55 swede or the 260 Rem is probably as capable as the Creed. The Creedmoor is a more modern design however and uses it’s powder capacity a bit more efficiently than the old Swede or the 260. The sharper shoulder angle of the Creed allows a bit more powder capacity than a similar length case with less shoulder angle. This shoulder angle is supposed to enhance case life by limiting case stretch. This is only important if you reload. All in all it is a good cartridge but I would not reccomend it as an all around hunting cartridge as it is a bit light for elk unless you are close. It is a wonderfull deer, antelope, caribou and similar sized game round.

3. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    The 264 win mag has outstanding ballistics but would be an overbore barrel burner with spendy ammo and limited platforms chambered in it. The Creedmoor and the others I mentioned are much more efficient , have better ammo availibility and many rifles are chambered for them. I think one of the best all around chamberings for North American big game hunting is the 280ai, especially now that it is a Saami round with factory ammo and brass available. It checks off all the boxes for me. Also high on this list would be 270 win, 280 rem, 30-06, 7mm rem mag and 300 win mag.

Catchn Ry and Odin7 like this.
  4. spoon man

spoon man Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    22' Alumaweld
    Oh shit.....6.5 creed vs the world discussion?!?! Haha keep the creed on the bench and hunt with a cartridge that has a little more ass behind it! Like a .270, 280ai as mentioned above, or a few others that outshine the 6.5 creed.

Muzzle fps and energy in pounds
    280ai-140gn- 3150fps-3100lbs
    .270-140gn-2900fps-2600lbs
    6.5creed-140gn-2650fps-2200lbs

500 yards fps and energy in pounds
    280ai-140gn-2225fps-1550lbs
    .270-140gn-2000fps-1200lbs
    6.5creed-140gn-1850fps-1050lbs

I don't think the 6.5 is gonna be on the top of my list

5. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    The Creedmoor is an exceptional deer cartridge.

6. duckbutter6a

duckbutter6a Florida man living in SoCal

Name:
    Hank
    Boat:
    Dusky 17
    6.5mm is more efficient than most rounds. It retains its velocity longer thus giving less time to hit target and less time for gravity to to pull the bullet downwards. So it's easier to hit the target due to less bullet drop and wind related drift since it gets to the target faster allowing less time for external influence to alter the bullets path.

For clarification i am talking about the bullet not the case. 6.5 creed has a good balance of powder capacity/pressures and does not cause bore erosion as much as higher velocity cartridges can. As long as you are firing a high ballistic coefficient bullet at a reasonable velocity you will have all of the above advantage over older design less efficient bullets.

6.5mm has always been a excellent caliber but thanks to advances in bullet design we are seeing it really start to shine. The same can be said about other rounds but the 6.5 is pleasant to shoot and fairly cost effective.

I killed my last deer with a old 6.5x55mm Swedish mauser. Deer dropped instantly. I don't feel the need to upgrade but maybe one day I will hop on the 6.5 creed train.

7. Salmon Addict

Salmon Addict Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Alumaweld Blackhawk

8. Salmon Addict

Salmon Addict Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Alumaweld Blackhawk
    I have a 6.5 creedmoor in Left hand Ruger American Predator. Put a Boyd’s AT-one stock in it. Polished the bolt, pillar bedded the stock and action. Shoots dime sized groups better than my tikka and savages. 6.5 cm is easy to shoot no recoil, very efficient caliber. Should take deer out to 400yds.

9. Mark49

Mark49 Mark litwiler

Name:
    Mark Litwiler
    Boat:
    In search
    The 6.5 creedmore is a bench round it wasn’t designed to hunt with. It was built to be a target round which it excels at to a certain distance. I would never try to shoot an animal with it because it doesn’t have enough punch behind it. I’m sure you can kill game with it but I can also kill game with my .22lr, but it’s not ethical. If your looking for a hunting round I would get something with more punch like a .308, .270, 30-06, or any similar size magnum. And realistically the 6.5 isn’t that great of a long range round either like everyone claims it to be it’s very light and will get pushed around easier than .270 or 30-06 or 7 mag at distance.

10. CartridgeCalls

CartridgeCalls 100% Disabled Veteran Owned Business

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    Bust Out Another Thousand
    It is junk. Ballistics and accuracy are questionable at best

11. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    I’ve been hunting with the 6.5 creed for the last 5 years in Montana . Have never had a issue with it having enough snort in taking mule deer and antelope out to 570 yards with 1 shot. The only issue was with choice of bullets. I quite using Hornady SST 129 gr. As they have the tendency of blowing up on contact.i went with Hornady 120 gr. GMX and have not had a problem since. I made the decision to go with the creed. And am very happy that I did. Being book smart isn’t everything , don’t bad mouth it until you personally try it out on game.

12. CartridgeCalls

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    I have hunted with it since the 6.5 creed cartridge was introduced in 2007 on all platforms from a AR to bolt actions. The ballistics are horrible.I prefer a .243 or .308 anyday to an overpriced over rated cartridge. Not sayig it cant get the job done but for the extra cost of the rounds in lead free and the lack of availability it just ins't worth it.

13. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    Lol, tell us how you really feel. Not sure I agree with you though. ? 0-300yds the 308 will win the energy battle but beyond that the creed will outpace it it all facets with less recoil.
    BB777DFB-0229-445C-AB19-D9B9991F7028.jpeg 5D1A1C08-5EE9-41AE-9CA0-982216A88E9E.jpeg B3F07F36-A7DE-47AA-B776-D3A3D37C00CC.jpeg A43335EA-7F5B-4FAE-8515-450DFE0ECFC2.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  14. CartridgeCalls

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    I bought it back then to try something new before all the hoopla and specs were available. I have an FFL so I like to try all sorts of new firearms and calibers. Recoil is subjective to each shooter. I have never felt recoil when shotting at wild game EVER. :)

15. Wild Bill

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    I do think the 6.5 CM is a damn fine deer and similar size game cartridge especially if you are a reloader. Neither the 308 or the creed have enough recoil to bother most adult males but the Creed definitely has less and that is one of the reasons the benchrest guys are wholesale switching over to it for long range competition. Not to mention the superior long range ballistics.

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  16. Alice1952

Alice1952 Member

Name:
    Alice Archer
    Boat:
    Real predator
    I agree with you Bill 100% . I have that caliber in ruger # 1,cooper rifle , Christensen arms AR platform, Christensen arms ridgeline with a silencerco hybrid suppresser and they all have killed deer and antelope with not a problem.

CartridgeCalls likes this.
  17. koorbloh

koorbloh Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    17' Smokercraft Osprey
    I have no dog in the 6.5 fight, I hunt with my .30-06 because it's what I have and like, but I want to respond to this:

Yeah, I haven't felt recoil while shooting at an animal either. But, you need to be comfortable enough shooting the rifle at targets to know how it shoots at an animal. If I had to do it again, I'd probably pick something a bit lighter, or a heavier rifle, or both. My lightweight Tikka .30-06 is pretty brutal to shoot repeatedly, and I'm a pretty large dude. When it comes time, I'll pick something closer to a .243 or .270 than a .30 for my kids.

Odin7 and CartridgeCalls like this.
  18. Hunter Dan

Hunter Dan I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    MUGWUMP
    Elmer Keith made comments about recoil. Appropriate since he ad so much to do with the biggest cartridges around! A smaller man himself, he noted large tall men want to stand up to the recoil and take more punishment from the forces than slighter men (like Elmer :-) ) who roll with the recoil.

twt, ericwa285 and Odin7 like this.