Help me round my quiver SD YT & BFT

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
San francisco
Name
Scott
Boat
Hobie outback
Hey guys! I'm looking to fill out my quiver for some of the 1.5+ day trips targeting YT, YFT, BFT

I'd definitely like to find a heavier setup in case the bigger fish around, but at the same time would like to avoid something that would get infrequent use.

Eyeing a Fathom 40NLD2 or Talica for 80-100# setup. Rod I have no clue. Thinking I would be mainly be fishing flatfalls or sinker rig.

Budget is 1000-1500 to make some upgrades.

Any suggestions?

Here's what I have:
Daiwa Lexa 300 HD / Shimano Trevala 7' ML
Penn Fathom 25NLD2 / Ugly Stick Tiger 7' Medium - 40#
Penn Fathom 30LD2 / Okuma PCH 701xxh - 60#

Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
I suggest a good 40 - 50 pound set up. Maybe 60. You’ll find you’ll use it more than an 80 plus. If your going for the bigger bluefin, then rent or borrow something. All the SD fleet have them. Or better yet try to find a reel or rod sponsored trip and ask the charter master to bring something for you to borrow.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
60/80 is the minimum sweet spot if you happen to hit the bigger fish. The rest of your quiver will handle 30/40/50 work.

I just picked up an 8'0" UC RGP Terminator, rated 30-80#, I love it. Excellent casting, light and loads of lifting power, just right for a Fathom or Torque 40 nld2. I'm putting a Mak 15T SEa on mine, a little heavier reel but lots of power and a large frame just in case my 'dine meets Mr. Big. Virgin trip for this rig is coming up on Shogun May 19-23 so no on-water feedback yet. I put 30# of drag on the RGP Terminator, tied to a tree, and it did not feel bottomed out.

If you want a stouter 80/100# stick look at the 7'6" UC Centaur. Much heavier than the RGP Terminator, I have a Mak 16 SEa paired with mine. A great rig but I would recommend the RGP Terminator/40 nld2 as the more versatile rig.

kayakbeast33

Haven't posted enough yet
  • Mar 9, 2012
    buena park CA
    Name
    steven
    Boat
    Almost time
    How do you like the pch rod? I personally would upgrade that ugly stick to a 8' PCH-C-801H and maybe sell or trade that 30 for a fathom 40 for #50-#60. Those 2 will cover #25-#60. Then add an #80 setup for flat falls and could work for a heavy yoyo setup as well. Like 2rotten I also have and LOVE the gp terminator very light weight and powerful. You might also consider a gp76 predator. I have mine paired with a valiant 800 but a Mak 15t or even a 16 would work, if you can find a killer deal you might also consider an avet HX raptor for the 80-100. Good luck it gets addictive.

Reactions: Sawmill killer
    Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Keep going ...
    Penn Fathom 40NLD2 80lb 801 or 741 xxh
    Penn Fathom 60LD2 100lb 741xxxh

cheapest option hands down and solid beautiful gear!!

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    How do you like the pch rod? I personally would upgrade that ugly stick to a 8' PCH-C-801H and maybe sell or trade that 30 for a fathom 40 for #50-#60. Those 2 will cover #25-#60. Then add an #80 setup for flat falls and could work for a heavy yoyo setup as well. Like 2rotten I also have and LOVE the gp terminator very light weight and powerful. You might also consider a gp76 predator. I have mine paired with a valiant 800 but a Mak 15t or even a 16 would work, if you can find a killer deal you might also consider an avet HX raptor for the 80-100. Good luck it gets addictive.
    The pch are incredible and for the price noooo comparison !!

Reactions: Senko888
    Upvote 0

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    60/80 is the minimum sweet spot if you happen to hit the bigger fish. The rest of your quiver will handle 30/40/50 work.

I just picked up an 8'0" UC RGP Terminator, rated 30-80#, I love it. Excellent casting, light and loads of lifting power, just right for a Fathom or Torque 40 nld2. I'm putting a Mak 15T SEa on mine, a little heavier reel but lots of power and a large frame just in case my 'dine meets Mr. Big. Virgin trip for this rig is coming up on Shogun May 19-23 so no on-water feedback yet. I put 30# of drag on the RGP Terminator, tied to a tree, and it did not feel bottomed out.

If you want a stouter 80/100# stick look at the 7'6" UC Centaur. Much heavier than the RGP Terminator, I have a Mak 16 SEa paired with mine. A great rig but I would recommend the RGP Terminator/40 nld2 as the more versatile rig.
    Have yet to test out the pch, but will get an opportunity next friday.
    I was eyeing the shogun 3 day 5/7 but didn’t pull the trigger due to the forecasted swells and waves.
    Like you i live afar, but love to fish SD haha. It’s so much harder for us to plan out trips.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    Like you i live afar, but love to fish SD haha. It’s so much harder for us to plan out trips.

Not so very far in the winter, I'm a Snow Bird and live about 5-hours away in Arizona right now. Head back to Oregon late May in time for deep water Halibut then Albacore!

Upvote 0

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    How about a 1x3 with a VISX 16, I really like that setup. Seems like a set up You are missing. Could pick a VISX 20 too. 80, 100 or 130 spectra to the to the top.

I’m now strongly leaning towards a
    Penn 40nld2 with 80lb braid to give me the option of fishing 60-80lb spectra topshot.
    Should be versatile and comfortable to fish.

Then eventually a visx16 with a 100lb braid and heavier leader to give me a decent shot at bigger fish if they are around.

I’m reluctant to go with larger reels as I can’t see myself fishing them for long periods. At 36oz the visx16 looks good. Leaning away from the talica for that reason as well, tacii 25 is 33oz and holds less braid 470/100lb.

Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    Penn 40nld2 with 80lb braid to give me the option of fishing 60-80lb spectra topshot.

Then eventually a visx16 with a 100lb braid and heavier leader to give me a decent shot at bigger fish if they are around.

I’m reluctant to go with larger reels as I can’t see myself fishing them for long periods. At 36oz the visx16 looks good. Leaning away from the talica for that reason as well, tacii 25 is 33oz and holds less braid 470/100lb.
    That is great choice, the 40 ld2 is pretty light for jigging. I don’t feel the weiget of the 16 fishing bait so much.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None

honestly, the torque and fathom 40nld are some of the most versatile reels... EVER. If you were to get 2 setups for all of SoCal fishing i would get a fathom 25nld and a 40nld and that covers everything. It is narrow, has a high gear ratio, doesn't weigh a ton, has a light enough spool for good castability, a bunch of drag. You can use this reel for everything and still catch pretty large fish. Its like a taller, lighter visx 12 with the same capacity and drag.
    Get a penn Fathom or Torque (if you want a nicer overall reel) and that will cover 50/60/80.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    If you have not decided on rod yet test pull the United Composites Viper. That is one bad ass rod ! I have one paired with Accurate ATD6 and one with an ATD12. With the Talica combo would be nice too. Good luck!

migelito

May 12, 2010
    So Cal.
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Indy
    Max I would fish on the fathom 40ldn is 60#, the 60ldn is just a wider version. If you want to fish 80/100 go with at least a 16size reel. Torque40ldn/HXW/HX raptor if you want a lighter framed reel. Reel weight is all relative to what you get used to. Fish with a 50 all day and the 20 will feel light

Reactions: Fat Spottie

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    Thank you guys for the suggestions.

5/14 1.5 day on the pacifica i landed a 38# and 42# gilled an gutted within our first two stops from 3-4:30 in the morning.

Both were on the 40 NLD2, pch 701xxh 80lb braid, heavy mono crimped leader, 200g shimano flat fall black anchovy.

Fish came in very quickly 2-3 minute fights without taking much drag. Very happy with how versatile the 40 is. The rod had plenty of power to drag these fish in and lightweight to fish comfortably. It does squeak when it’s on the rail and shifts around a bit.

In the evening when fish were finicky, i downsized to the 25nld2 with 40# topshot. Hooked into something bigger on a 150g flatfall and had a 45 minute battle. I could not gain any line with about 100yards left to go, eventually pulled the hook. Checked afterwards, drag setting was at 13lb at full with full spool. Not sure if i should have added a bit more drag in that scenario or if it would have made a difference.

The 40 is going to be my go to, but i am still eyeing a 16visx. Figure i can fish heavier during the night bite and lean towards being overgunned rather than under when it’s within my control.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff

5/14 1.5 day on the pacifica i landed a 38# and 42# gilled an gutted within our first two stops from 3-4:30 in the morning.

Both were on the 40 NLD2, pch 701xxh 80lb braid, heavy mono crimped leader, 200g shimano flat fall black anchovy.

Fish came in very quickly 2-3 minute fights without taking much drag. Very happy with how versatile the 40 is. The rod had plenty of power to drag these fish in and lightweight to fish comfortably. It does squeak when it’s on the rail and shifts around a bit.

In the evening when fish were finicky, i downsized to the 25nld2 with 40# topshot. Hooked into something bigger on a 150g flatfall and had a 45 minute battle. I could not gain any line with about 100yards left to go, eventually pulled the hook. Checked afterwards, drag setting was at 13lb at full with full spool. Not sure if i should have added a bit more drag in that scenario or if it would have made a difference.

The 40 is going to be my go to, but i am still eyeing a 16visx. Figure i can fish heavier during the night bite and lean towards being overgunned rather than under when it’s within my control.
    To me sounds like the drag was ok, hooks pull unfortunately. The 16VISX is a great reel, I have two of the 16VSX just because. A little noisy but strong. Sounds like a good trip.

Upvote 0

James Taylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Sportboats

Set the 25nld2 to 13 at strike. That will give you more at full and sunset. You can pull really hard on 40lb

Reactions: Senko888
    Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None

Keep the 40n and get a 16 visx if you wanna play with the bigger grade fish. But don't sell the 40n, you will be using a 40n much more since it is such a versatile reel and can pretty much do any application.
    The 16 is definitely a nice tool to have if you go on more trips and want a true shot at cow tuna though.

Senko888

Dec 8, 2020
    San francisco
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    Hobie outback
    Keep the 40n and get a 16 visx if you wanna play with the bigger grade fish. But don't sell the 40n, you will be using a 40n much more since it is such a versatile reel and can pretty much do any application.
    The 16 is definitely a nice tool to have if you go on more trips and want a true shot at cow tuna though.
    Definitely keeping the 40, almost want a second one to replace the 30 but being practical and going for a lineup of 25,30,40,visx16 which should cover majority of what I need.

Somewhat regretting not booking long range trips in advance, I had no idea they filled up this quickly. There will be shots at a cow for me on the 1.5 to 3 day range, but i'm guessing it's unpredictable when they show up.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
    Upvote 0

Dozer217

Almost A Member
    Aug 12, 2010
    LBC
    I went with a Speedmaster II 25 and a Graftech rod for my 100lb, out the door was about $500. That would leave you room for a jig outfit, i'd leave the 300 size reel at home.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    I went with a Speedmaster II 25 and a Graftech rod for my 100lb, out the door was about $500. That would leave you room for a jig outfit, i'd leave the 300 size reel at home.
    thats probably more of an 80lb setup, using any medium frame reel used as a 100lb rig will be pushed to its limits, especially with the Speedmaster cast frame. A true hundred-pound rig would be an Okuma Makaira or Penn Visx 20 since they have much stronger frames.

Upvote 0