Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey guys been out on one 5 day on the searcher this year in July nailed alot of smaller grade tuna and really had the most fun fishing san martin island for the day we were there on yt and dropper loop assorted bottom fish. Heading out on the Shogun for the new years trip this year.

So Im looking to book a trip next year thinking a 5-7 day My main thing is Im not overly excited about catching mainly tuna they are great fun but would really like the best variety of fish so Far YT and dodos are really my favorite to eat I would like a chance at a wahoo and really enjoyed the island fishing more so than spending several days off shore fishing for the same grade of smaller tuna when the boat was already loaded with them. What do you guys think the best trip is for me time of year early september ? Boat suggestions I am wanting to try the RR3 because alot of people I met seemed to love it. Im pretty open to suggestions and appreciate any input. I had a great time on the Searcher and felt the crew captain and everyone exceeded my expectations I caught tons of fish would just like to get in some better variety.

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    If you want a chance at wahoo a 7 day or more would give you a good shot at them. A 7 day can get you either to the ridge or Alijos Rocks, usually not both. 8 day trips gives you more options and a near guarantee to get to Alijos if the conditions are right. For wahoo October/ November gets my vote for time of year.

hagridfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 21, 2008
    Aurora Colorado
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    None
    I would say a 10 day trip. As long as the cows don't show up on the lower banks, you get a lot of variety (yellows, yellowfin, dodos', wahoo, sometimes grouper, or other bottom species, etc...) I like the 10 day trips better than a 7 or 8 day, just because you have more time on the water. Sometimes, the fish aren't as cooperative as they have been this year, and the extra 2 days are well worth it. Have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    If you really enjoyed your trip on Searcher, take a look at their fall 2015 schedule, offering a nice selection of 7 day trips standard load (25) and ultra limited load (14)

Alternatives, 8 day on the Rooster, $2640, load 29 passengers. Or, 7 day on the American Angler, $2750, load 23 passengers. Much of the fishing is on the anchor for tuna on the Ridge, maybe Alijos, as well as Yellowtail fishing wherever you find them. Wahoo, who knows, but usually trolling and then stops for jigs and bait.

Hard to pick a bad one, but if you select your dates you can book now before trips fill, and they usually do.

Last edited:

dog2th

Mar 17, 2014
    Name
    ron sharr
    Boat
    sea hunt
    Go to Christmas Island
    All kinds of fish
    Bonefish to sail fish and everything inbetween
    A trip you won't foreget

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Music, Red Rooster, America Angler, Polaris Supreme
    I take three trips a year. One is a 6-day on the Polaris Supreme right after 4th of July. Good guys and always a good variety of fish. No who, but plenty of time for ocean fishing and island fishing.

big dog62

Mar 1, 2012
    nor cal USA
    Name
    spanky
    Boat
    sac-yac
    Hey guys been out on one 5 day on the searcher this year in July nailed alot of smaller grade tuna and really had the most fun fishing san martin island for the day we were there on yt and dropper loop assorted bottom fish. Heading out on the Shogun for the new years trip this year.

So Im looking to book a trip next year thinking a 5-7 day My main thing is Im not overly excited about catching mainly tuna they are great fun but would really like the best variety of fish so Far YT and dodos are really my favorite to eat I would like a chance at a wahoo and really enjoyed the island fishing more so than spending several days off shore fishing for the same grade of smaller tuna when the boat was already loaded with them. What do you guys think the best trip is for me time of year early september ? Boat suggestions I am wanting to try the RR3 because alot of people I met seemed to love it. Im pretty open to suggestions and appreciate any input. I had a great time on the Searcher and felt the crew captain and everyone exceeded my expectations I caught tons of fish would just like to get in some better variety.
    Taylor, a 7 - 10 day fall trip is your best bet for wahoo, but the longer the trip, usually means " boat ride". Personally, not a big fan of the " boat ride". I have a friend who did an 8 day, Sept. trip to the stones last year, on the X. They did well on the wahoo, but it took 2 days down, and 2 days back.
    I think you will like the New Years trip, as it should provide a variety of inshore fishing. I too am on this trip, and given this unusual year," hoo " knows what we might run into.

knows what we might run intoo

rockfish123

Almost A Member
    Jul 6, 2011
    Pleasanton
    Name
    Stan
    Boat
    None
    Op, as you can see there are differing opinions on what may be best for you. You had mentioned that you like island fishing, wanted to catch a variety of fish, possibly a wahoo but also yellowtail and dorado. In my opinion, if you haven't been on a longer trip of 7-8 days it is pretty cool to maybe travel to alijos or the ridge. There is more travel time obviously, but it's neat to see alijos and there can be a shot at wahoo. Just be aware it's not like Cedros where you're tucked behind an island on the lee. Alijos is a few rocks out in the middle of no where and the ridge is just open water but over an under water ridge line. It's more like the "off shore" experience you had for tuna. There can be quite a bit of travel time involved. All IMHO if course.

rcarry

May 8, 2012
    Orange County
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    --
    8 day in October on the RR3 should be a good trip....because they catch fish, boats comfortable, and the food is good! this year, (10-10 thru 10-18), we did San Martin, Cedros, the ridge, the rocks, then offshore on the way home.....in that order. Lots of variety and a good shot at wahoo, we got 60 total with most everyone getting at least one, but I'm told that's not always the case.