Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey Guys my buddy is putting together a few set ups for a up coming trip this December which is the 5 day new years trip on the Shogun which I was on last year.

He has 3 reels a sx jx and hx all raptors

Last year we really only did a few things mainly yoyo dropper loop and threw a few lighter jigs and flyline a tad.

So my buddy is looking for 3 rods 200 each max I was thinking just like calstar west coast series or something. I am really unfamiliar with model numbers what do you guys suggest.

I am thinking sx will be spooled with 50lb spectra jx 65lb spectra with 25 yd 50lb mono top shot hx will be spooled with 80 or 100 lb spectra

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
Poway,ca
Name
Rick
Boat
Sold long ago
Hey Guys my buddy is putting together a few set ups for a up coming trip this December which is the 5 day new years trip on the Shogun which I was on last year.

He has 3 reels a sx jx and hx all raptors

Last year we really only did a few things mainly yoyo dropper loop and threw a few lighter jigs and flyline a tad.

So my buddy is looking for 3 rods 200 each max I was thinking just like calstar west coast series or something. I am really unfamiliar with model numbers what do you guys suggest.

I am thinking sx will be spooled with 50lb spectra jx 65lb spectra with 25 yd 50lb mono top shot hx will be spooled with 80 or 100 lb spectra

I still fish with some of my West Coast series rods, they work just as well as they ever did. They are heavier than the new graphite or composite rods but they are also more forgiving of abuse and have a softer tip. If I were to pick 3 for what you have, it would be the 610 (my favorite 25-30lb rod), 670H for 40/50lb, and 665H for 50/60lb. Personally I would put the HX Raptor on a 1x3, a 765M, or a 770H but those are far more expensive than the West Coast series rods. The 7 foot rods for the SX and JX give you the option of fly lining bait if needed but are still fine for yo yo or dropper loop fishing. The 665H is more of a yo yo iron or dropper loop rod but I have fly lined mackerel with mine.

Reactions: CDA Dave

afraser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
Might I suggest either the heaviest ugly stik tiger jigging rod or a hopper jigging rod for the sx. They are super light, can handle 20# of drag, and are less than $80 and $120 respectively. Then go higher end for the hx maybe a phenix hybrid 760h or similar, then you are set no matter what size fish you get, wahoo to 100# YFT.

Reactions: Olddog8

Gabe L.

Passenger
Jun 26, 2012
San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
Long range
Check the Rainshadows,really good rods for not a lot of money.They only come in blanks tho.Best to stay with glass calstars.870,660h,670h.Go to a good shop and pull on a bunch.I wrap my so I can do a grafighter for about 160.700mh,700,h,700xh,760h,
770h.

fishordie

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Yo Taylor,

I highly suggest you check out the Daiwa Proteus line of rods which fall right into that 200 dollar price range for the SX and JX. The HX is another story as I do not believe Daiwa has a Proteus for that range reel. Lots of choices for the HX Raptor depending on what you want to do with it. Most Every Manufacturer has a rod option but that 200 dollar price range for this rod, to match with such a wide ranging reel and TOTL (Top of the line...The Raptor version) makes things just a bit tough. Just remember, these rods, to match with those great reels, can be a life time purchase so buy right for you even if it costs a few bucks more.

Jamie

Reactions: falconer

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Might I suggest either the heaviest ugly stik tiger jigging rod or a hopper jigging rod for the sx. They are super light, can handle 20# of drag, and are less than $80 and $120 respectively. Then go higher end for the hx maybe a phenix hybrid 760h or similar, then you are set no matter what size fish you get, wahoo to 100# YFT.

Jeeze, I gotta' go with the made in USA Calstars or Lamiglas Tri-Flex (Clark County, WA) or Seekers or Cousins on this. Since I think black is for funerals, I have Calstars, and some cool lookin' blue Lami Tri-Flexes, but, whatever. These glass (and the composite glass/graphite Lamis and Super Seekers) rods are bombproof, and if there's an issue, the companies are in SoCal or SE Washington, and they speak the lingo. Also, same time zone as me up here in Spokane, and only three hours earlier than someone in New Jersey. Just sayin'...there are options. Also, the United Composites blanks are absolutely unreal for light weight and stout butt sections yet still great for throwing baits and light lures.

Last edited:

falconer

Aug 17, 2006
Spokane, Washington
Name
Doug Pineo
Boat
16 foot 1955 Crestliner
Yo Taylor,

I highly suggest you check out the Daiwa Proteus line of rods which fall right into that 200 dollar price range for the SX and JX. The HX is another story as I do not believe Daiwa has a Proteus for that range reel. Lots of choices for the HX Raptor depending on what you want to do with it. Most Every Manufacturer has a rod option but that 200 dollar price range for this rod, to match with such a wide ranging reel and TOTL (Top of the line...The Raptor version) makes things just a bit tough. Just remember, these rods, to match with those great reels, can be a life time purchase so buy right for you even if it costs a few bucks more.

Jamie

It's an investment, and probably not a seriously declining asset like a car.