Dexter Outdoors

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Hey guys I live in Sacramento and have wanted to go fish in SD on a trip for a long time finally I think ill make it this year. I would like to go for around 5 days and am really looking to just catch a ton of fish I don't need them to be cows 20-40lbers will make me happy. I see the trips are filling fast so need some advise on which boat and dates will serve me best thanks!

Mr GreenJeans

Aug 23, 2006
Irvine
Name
David
Boat
Kayak
Hey guys I live in Sacramento and have wanted to go fish in SD on a trip for a long time finally I think ill make it this year. I would like to go for around 5 days and am really looking to just catch a ton of fish I don't need them to be cows 20-40lbers will make me happy. I see the trips are filling fast so need some advise on which boat and dates will serve me best thanks!

I like the time frame from mid August through about the first week of October, with special attention to mid September. All the long range boats are good. So just pick one that matches your schedule and fits your budget. Go for the lightest load you can afford to pay for. Fewer lines in the water means fewer tangles and a better chance to be the first bait in the water after the jig strike.

Reactions: Bill W

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
For about the same cost of a prime time 5 day in August, take advantage of the extra few days on a June 8 day.

Fish the Kadota trip on the Angler, June 9-17. Can't believe there are open spots, but even with the max load of 24, one of the best bargains around. I have done 8 of these June 8 day trips. Always have brought home all the fish I could handle. Some years we have kicked the crap out of the tuna, Yellofin, Bluefin, and Albacore. But we have always had shots at limits if Yellowtail. Yellowfin catches have been limits of school size fish as well as a year or two with fish over 100 lbs. Same goes for Bluefin. Check out that rail shot in my Avatar pic. 65 lbs just last year when we had a good day on those 100 lb Bluefin at the beginning of the trip.

timmyd3853

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
i would have to agree with steve if you have the time to do 8 days do it. most likely wont have a shot at wahoo because the water hasnt warmed up enough but you will also have a shot at some of the bottom fish too down there like grouper and pargo ect. also ive seen some nice stops on pinacles for some big bull calicos too in the hippolito and ascuncion bay areas. you have ALOT more versitility to fish with the extra 3 days

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
Steve that sounds like a great trip but for me best best would be to not have to take more than 5 days off work, driving up from sac and back on that trip will put me over my max days off.

Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris

You're going to get a ton of responses on this thread, but here's my two cents...... Every LR boat in the entire fleet has a different style and personality. What I mean, some boats are blue collar (with or w/o open bunks) and others quite the opposite (outrageous food and staterooms). It really boils down to what you prefer and how much you want to spend. Most 5 Day trip are going to range from $1600 - $2100. Aside from the initial trip expense, you'll also need to factor (budget) in your fuel surcharge, mex permits, galley & gear tab, fish processing and crew tip (15%). Plan on spending an extra $750-$1000 to give you ample coverage on expenses mentioned above.

All of the LR boats are excellent, it's just a matter of whether you're finicky about amenities, food, passenger load, budget and time of year. I personally prefer the big boats (100' ft +) as they ride better in rough weather and have larger bait capacity and overall room. Take a look into the following - Intrepid, Indy, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster and Excel. However, also look into (<100' ft) : American Angler, Shogun, Vagabond, Royal Star, Polaris Supreme, Searcher and etc. They're all excellent.

Good luck and welcome to your new addiction!

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
You're going to get a ton of responses on this thread, but here's my two cents...... Every LR boat in the entire fleet has a different style and personality. What I mean, some boats are blue collar (with or w/o open bunks) and others quite the opposite (outrageous food and staterooms). It really boils down to what you prefer and how much you want to spend. Most 5 Day trip are going to range from $1600 - $2100. Aside from the initial trip expense, you'll also need to factor (budget) in your fuel surcharge, mex permits, galley & gear tab, fish processing and crew tip (15%). Plan on spending an extra $750-$1000 to give you ample coverage on expenses mentioned above.

All of the LR boats are excellent, it's just a matter of whether you're finicky about amenities, food, passenger load, budget and time of year. I personally prefer the big boats (100' ft +) as they ride better in rough weather and have larger bait capacity and overall room. Take a look into the following - Intrepid, Indy, Royal Polaris, Red Rooster and Excel. However, also look into (<100' ft) : American Angler, Shogun, Vagabond, Royal Star, Polaris Supreme, Searcher and etc. They're all excellent.

Good luck and welcome to your new addiction!

Thanks for the advice Im not too worried about sleeping in a fancy room, did some checking in and the Searcher has a trip that will work well for me waiting on a call back to inquire about fuel surcharge and permits ect. Anyone have any experience with this boat? Opinions good or bad?

Waterdog3

Almost A Member
Apr 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Name
Needham
Boat
War Eagle

If you want to catch Bluefin give the Shogun a shot. One of the owners has planes in the air as they are the largest Bluefin commercial companies. Sometimes they get inside info. They have been to know to sit on tuna for days without another boat in the area. Just a thought. Can't go wrong with a lot of boats down there. Anglers is also a good boat to fish. Not as wide as the Shogun but still is a great boat to fish. Just have fun and enjoy yourself

Wendell Fox

Aug 3, 2006
Foster City, CA
Name
Wendell Fox
Boat
Boston Whaler 17
.Red Rooster 3 in August. Check their schedule. Big comfortable boat with a great skipper, good deckhands and nice people in their front office. I have done 15 trips with them.

Artois

Dec 29, 2011
Artois/CA/USA
Name
Roy
Boat
Not Given
All will be good. Looks like many of the boats are full on five days already. As a relative rookie (two 5 days so far, next this August), and living an hour north of Sac, I can offer a few tidbits of advise:

If you don't have a passport yet, get one as soon as possible.

Drive down the night before and stay in a nearby hotel. Also factor in the limited nearby parking.

Don't buy much tackle before your get to SD. That way you will buy only what you need.

Rent the tackle you don't already have. Just contact the landing office ahead of time.

You mentioned that you wanted to catch "a ton of fish". Keep in mind that processing costs 75 cents per pound, whole weight. That cost can add up REAL FAST. try to determine how many pounds of fillets you will need (you will get about 40% of whole weight, and plan accordingly. You can always "cut them loose" once you've reached your personal limit.

Have fun, and plan to make your next reservation as soon as you get off the boat.

Reactions: eric harner

timmyd3853

Sep 27, 2011
Temecula, Ca.
Name
Tim
Boat
Excel, Polaris Supreme, Searcher, RRIII and YOURS!
Thanks for the advice Im not too worried about sleeping in a fancy room, did some checking in and the Searcher has a trip that will work well for me waiting on a call back to inquire about fuel surcharge and permits ect. Anyone have any experience with this boat? Opinions good or bad?
Searcher is a good boat. art is a really good skipper. food is goood and well prepared nothing too fancy you wont go wrong ojn the searcher. ive fished several longer trips with Art Taylor and he runs a good show. I say book it dano

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
We do trips every year with the Shogun, Vagabond, Searcher, and American Angler; any of them would be an excellent choice for your first time.
Good advice from many posters already, especially be sure that you get a passport application started TODAY, and don't buy too much tackle at first, be sure to let the boats' office know what you need when you make the reservation.
We do have a couple of spots left on our Penn-sponsored 8-day Shogun trip in June [lots of demo rigs to try], but the rest are full, so do not wait to get your deposit in.

Mar 18, 2011
SoCal
Name
Doug
Boat
Royal Polaris

Glad you settled on the Searcher. Try to jump on the 5 day that leaves on July 28th, it's the Izorline open sponsored trip. Historically, this trip has also done well over the past few years with WT leading the CM duties. Have fun and catch plenty!

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
We do trips every year with the Shogun, Vagabond, Searcher, and American Angler; any of them would be an excellent choice for your first time.
Good advice from many posters already, especially be sure that you get a passport application started TODAY, and don't buy too much tackle at first, be sure to let the boats' office know what you need when you make the reservation.
We do have a couple of spots left on our Penn-sponsored 8-day Shogun trip in June [lots of demo rigs to try], but the rest are full, so do not wait to get your deposit in.
I called in and booked this trip today check is in the mail!

tmcustoms

Dec 30, 2012
Sacramento Ca
Name
Taylor Posey
Boat
Baby Lobster
My tackle I have right now is

808 abyss with avet jx raptor
909 abyss with avet jx raptor
black diamond psw 700h with avet hx
seeker G 660H with TLD30
Phenix 800H swimbait rod with daiwa pluton

Have a lot of jigs and hooks not too worried about buying a lot more tackle

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Your target size fish are right on for a 5 day trip. I would check the number of passengers taken as one poster said. Each poster has a favorite boat but all are good. There are a few more boats in the 5 day range that may work out for you that are not the normal extended range boats, but if the experience is what you want stay with the bigger boats.

Edit... I see you chose well, you will have a blast.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    I called in and booked this trip today check is in the mail!

Celia in the Searcher office is really great, she will help you with whatever you need to know beforehand, and you will have a great time on the boat.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Searcher, a little older boat, but Art does a great job keeping it up. And I don't think anybody does a better job with crew and anglers getting on the fish. There are equals, but he's second to none, well respected among the code group captains. My last trip on Searcher was August 2009, a 4 day, and we had 60 nice Bluefin the first day offshore. Now a memory, but maybe we'll get a chance to fish it again someday, we spent a day at Guadalupe for 30 quality Yellowfin. Last day offshore was crazy paddy fishing!

And, yes, Celia is great, no doubt about that. Congrats!

Last edited:

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    What I like about the Searcher is it's a wood boat. Tuna come to the boat a little better. Art is a long time veteran that will get you all the fish you want.