Help me fish tricky pond

JulianB

Mar 28, 2020
Switzerland
Name
Julian
Boat
No
Fellow fishermen! I am new on the forum and need your collective wisdom. I only fished as a kid using a pole and fixed line. Now I want to pick it up again because I have a pond 5 minutes walk from my building and umm... forced free time?

The pond is man-made and it's part of a residential area (but free access). It is narrow and long, it has buildings and a small beach on one side, a border of reeds and a park on the opposite side. The water is clean and transparent with a green hue. It is constantly filtered and recirculated with regular checks carried out out by a lab. According to their web page, roach, rudd, golden orfe, perch and pike can be found inside. The pond was created maybe 10 years ago; apparently the roach and rudd are indigenous, while the golden orfe was introduced illegally by someone. The golden orfe got out of control and the local council decided to introduce perch and pike around 5 years ago to keep it in check. For the same reason fishing is allowed without a permit or fee but with a few rules:
  • maximum 10 fish can be taken per day
  • out of which only 1 pike (must be >60 cm)
  • pike fishing not allowed March 1st through April 30
  • only angling gear and single hooks allowed
There are rarely any fishermen and the most I have seen was 3 at the same time, far from one another. So there should be a lot of fish in there! The golden orfe is very visible, I have seen groups of up to 30 of them close to the surface on sunny days (see picture). They are large, easily 50-60 cm I think. Most local anglers call them carp. I guess they are from the same family. I personally have not seen any of the other fish species. I have heard other fishermen say there is pike in there >1m long... I don't think anyone is too successful though. There was a guy fishing for the golden orfe today at the shallow end with 3 rods but he didn't catch any. The place was swarming with them but they weren't biting.

I would ideally like to catch predators and especially perch. A large pike sounds a bit intimidating right now as I'm just starting up. My tackle consists of a newly purchased spinning rod (medium power, fast action, 2m, 7-28g casting weight) with 2500 spinning reel, a 5m tele pole with fixed line, jigs and lures of various sizes, a couple of rolls of mono line and a few simple hooks. So far I focused on jigging because its ability to cover more water and easily move from place to place. I went there 3-4 times in the last week at different times of day but after hundreds of casts I haven't had a single bite which is pretty frustrating. I used soft lures 6-10 cm long, different weights and different colors (pink minnow, natural punched tail with glitter, green punched tail with glitter). I tried both with a fluorocarbon premade lead with swivel and clip and with a fluorocarbon lead tied directly to the jighead and main. Nada. Part of it might be that the layout of the pond is tricky, which is why I am attaching a couple of crude drawings. The water is about knee-deep for the first 8-10m on each side, with a maximum depth of 3m in the middle. Since it's man-made and symmetrical, there aren't any fallen trees, branches, holes or other covers. You will notice that the reeds are in the shallow water with a concrete foundation, so they don't provide any cover. The shallow water is clear and the fish never comes there except for the cheeky golden orfe who ventures sometimes looking for warmth, especially at the near end. I managed to cast some pieces of bread on top of them with the fixed line pole but they didn't pay any interest :( There are clearings in the reeds made by other fishermen marked with an X on the drawing, those are the places from which you can cast. You will notice that you can only cast across and slightly diagonally, but not really lengthwise.

So what is your advice in terms of strategy, rig, time of day, place etc etc? Preferably using the tackle I already have. I would like to try drop shotting but I cannot find any sinkers in my casting weight range at the moment. All the places I looked are sold out and the supply chain is disrupted at the moment. Please bear in mind that I live in a city and there aren't many places where I could find worms etc. All physical shops are currently closed because of Covid so no place to get live bait, only online deliveries and waiting times are long The weather has been sunny but chilly lately, around freezing point at night. I live in Switzerland btw.

Attachments

Last edited:

SalmonidDave

9' or higher only.15' two handed is way fun!
May 12, 2019
SFV
Name
Dave
Boat
N/A
Drop shotting. SLOW. If you think you're too slow, slow it down even more. Remember, SLOW IT DOWN, also when working a drop shot. Less is more. Slight twitch, but DO NOT move the weight, until you're ready to do so.

There might not be structure that you can see. It might be a small rock. It could be anything.

Reactions: JulianB

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Can you dig worms out of the dirt? I’ve done that in times of desperation.

I would also consider fishing at dawn or dusk, and do your absolute best to not be seen. Since the water is very clear, and not deep the fish will see you. If they see you, feeding will not be on their mind.

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

JulianB

Mar 28, 2020
Switzerland
Name
Julian
Boat
No
Can you dig worms out of the dirt? I’ve done that in times of desperation.

I would also consider fishing at dawn or dusk, and do your absolute best to not be seen. Since the water is very clear, and not deep the fish will see you. If they see you, feeding will not be on their mind.
The fish is not in the shallow water. The fish is in the deeper water in the middle. It's too far to see.

I haven't tried dawn yet but I think the water is really cold then. No luck at dusk so far.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
3 meters isn’t very deep either. You may not see the fish, but they can see you.

I can’t comment on the other species, but the pike are a cold water fish. They are plenty happy with the cold, and being an apex predator in the pond, they’re sitting in the deeper dark areas waiting to ambush prey. Perch survive the cold, but aren’t too active. When the water warms up, they’ll be holding on any kind of structure, and hiding as well to ambush smaller prey.

The outside air temperature probably has very little effect on the water temperature, maybe a couple degrees at most. You could test this with a pool thermometer.

swami 805

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Think I'd try for the carp just to get the skunk off. Those things are eating something, try frozen peas, canned corn,dry cat food or whatever you can throw and see if they eat it. Once you find out what they like figure out how to get a hook in it
perch and pike are pretty lethargic when it's cold, might have to wait awhile

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Make doughballs at home. Mix in some peanut butter. Roll them up and put on doughball bait. Put weight to ensure doughball gets to bottom.

Sit back, relax, and wait for fish.

kimorb

Sep 10, 2005
Golden Hill
Name
Richard Baldwin
Boat
I wish
For the carp try canned sweet corn. Tiny hook and two or three kernels on the hook. 6 lb line. Just enough split shot on the line to cast. Throw a sparse handful of the corn in the water where you are fishing and put the kernel in the middle of it. You have to be stealthy.
r.

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Never crossed my mind over 20 years ago to document the catches. And private gated lakes are not accessible to the general public. So I realize these fish I probably would had never hooked if the lake had fishing pressure

And I wanted them back in the water fast, LMB

Back to back days. Same hole but a tad appart from each other. Lake jetty rock mini dam in fresh water

First trying for a catfish with a double crawler a absolute pig ate it on 4# line. Dead sticked

Next day. Pinned on 4 crawlers. And dipped them half way in the water. While telling my childhood fishing buddy. How can a big bass resist this considering the day before. No joke. A few feet from my feet. A pig vacuums the 4 crawlers as I'm saying how great the bait looks. Deep boiled. Hooked on 4# line

Both fish. Over 15lbs

I have always fished the SD back ponds with 2-4# line. But we don't have Pike. Did hook one in penesquitos canyon pet fish. On a live crawdad. Late 80s.

Last edited:

JulianB

Mar 28, 2020
Switzerland
Name
Julian
Boat
No
Drop shotting. SLOW. If you think you're too slow, slow it down even more. Remember, SLOW IT DOWN, also when working a drop shot. Less is more. Slight twitch, but DO NOT move the weight, until you're ready to do so.

There might not be structure that you can see. It might be a small rock. It could be anything.
Could you elaborate? What weight would you use? Bait? Where would you guess the fish was hiding? How often would you move the weight or recast?

JulianB

Mar 28, 2020
Switzerland
Name
Julian
Boat
No
Think I'd try for the carp just to get the skunk off. Those things are eating something, try frozen peas, canned corn,dry cat food or whatever you can throw and see if they eat it. Once you find out what they like figure out how to get a hook in it
perch and pike are pretty lethargic when it's cold, might have to wait awhile
How would you rig it and could it be done with my existing rod?

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Start making your own bottom structure by bringing a handful of nice sized stones and tossing them in the same area every time you go.

Could make for a nice little honey hole after a while.

Reactions: pacificscout

JulianB

Mar 28, 2020
Switzerland
Name
Julian
Boat
No
Start making your own bottom structure by bringing a handful of nice sized stones and tossing them in the same area every time you go.

Could make for a nice little honey hole after a while.
Not a bad idea. It would be tricky because of the distance and the slope, but I can try. How tall would you want the pile to be eventually?

Highwayman

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
Fly under a bubble with a very slow wind, adjust as needed
I Googled Golden Orfe and this rig and technique sounds like a good possibility. Match the hatch including worms, insects etc as hey are top water feeders. Sounds like a catch and release species.

Reactions: JulianB

JulianB

Mar 28, 2020
Switzerland
Name
Julian
Boat
No
Fly under a bubble with a very slow wind, adjust as needed
I Googled Golden Orfe and this rig and technique sounds like a good possibility. Match the hatch including worms, insects etc as hey are top water feeders. Sounds like a catch and release species.
There wouldn't be enough space for that because of the reeds, There are only a few small openings like so. Besides that would require a different set of gear and skills.

Attachments