Rusty123

Yep
Mar 7, 2019
Long Beach
Name
Rusty
Boat
Bayliner cuddy
Forgive me if this has all been covered somewhere.

So I have tried to do some research but still dont know what im reading. The kid at BassPro was not helpful at all. I have been looking at mostly Garmins because that is what people suggested.

Please help me pick the best one for me, I am still using a 2002 Raytheon, the display looks like the orig Gameboy! So far i am leaning towards Garmin striker plus 5cv, sv would be nice but the 7 is too big. I only boat to Catalina and LA area harbors, i dont go far out, never freshwater.

These are the things i need in a unit:

- GPS (hoping there is one like car navi? Where i input destination and it directs me? Or if i can at least mark my origin pt so i can get back efficiently)
- water temp
- boat speed
- unit must be removable
- hoping to spend less than $500
- transducer? Garmin 5cv comes with GT20, is that good enough?
- anything else important i missed?

these would be nice if available:
- fuel flow monitor
- wifi

Semperfifishing

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 20, 2011
Northern Idaho
Name
Gil
Boat
Nomad
The Garmin Striker does not have map capability.

You may want to look at the Garmin EchoMap 64cv:

EchoMap UHD 64cv, MFG# 010-002331-01, with 6.2" color LCD, internal GPS and US BlueChart g3 offshore maps. Sonar: 500 Watts, traditional, CHIRP, and Hi-Def ClearVu down-imaging. WiFi capable.
Includes GT24UHD-TM transducer.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Rusty123

Yep
Mar 7, 2019
Long Beach
Name
Rusty
Boat
Bayliner cuddy
I saw that one but heard Its more for inland use? Maps would be great but i dont really need it, if it could navigate me to certain points or back to the origin point that should be good enough. I dont plan on going anywhere i havent been before is why i dont really need them. Thanks!

Fearlessfiasco

Loco Leftist...
Jun 5, 2012
La Mesa
Name
Jeff
Boat
Sea Pro 170DC & S/V Lunar Dawn a Casade 36' Sloop
Maybe something like a Simrad Go5.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Might also want to take a look at this.

Lowrance HOOK2 5 - 5-inch Fish Finder with TripleShot Transducer and US / Canada Navionics+ Map Card …

Rusty123

Yep
Mar 7, 2019
Long Beach
Name
Rusty
Boat
Bayliner cuddy
Might also want to take a look at this.

Lowrance HOOK2 5 - 5-inch Fish Finder with TripleShot Transducer and US / Canada Navionics+ Map Card …
Thanks! Will do. Im trying to research but its a bit overwhelming, guess i have to learn sometime about these devices

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Thanks! Will do. Im trying to research but its a bit overwhelming, guess i have to learn sometime about these devices
I was in the same situation last year. Seems like the features on any given model can change quickly. Almost have to read the box to say what any given unit does even if the have the same or similar names.

Good luck.

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509
I normally wouldn’t chime in on something like this seeing as you already received a few responses and suggestions from people....

But I just couldn’t help but feel that it would be a flagrant social injustice for me to gloss over all of this and carry on with my life without mentioning that I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you go the Simrad GO series route, like the fella above had recommended. A GO5 or even better yet if you could find a killer deal on a new or used GO7 XSE or XSR. (Obviously the larger the screen the easier it is to see small words and details....especially when viewing the custom configured split screens with 2 or 4 different panels/functions all fit onto the screen at once!)

Along with the Simrad GO XSE/XSR you should get either a ‘3 in 1 Active Imaging’ or else a “TotalScan” transom mount transducer. Absolute best bang for your buck and enables tons of helpful features - truly allows you to get the most out of your Simrad MFD capability. (Along with a few other transducers, I have a TotalScan transom mount ducer on both of my boats and have been able to obtain impressive results it. A TotalScan will allow you to select from Medium and High chirp frequencies, 83/200hz traditional frequencies, Structure Scan HD, Side Scan, Down Scan, and also has a built in temperature sensor.)
Can find a new or gently used TotalScan ducer with mounting bracket and long cable for $150.

The whole Simrad system/program/interface is quite easy to learn very intuitive. Doesn’t take much to figure out and you simply will not get frustrated while attempting to become familiar with it.

Don’t know what type of motor you have, but there is a cable or interface module available for most all major outboard brands that will allow you to view all of your motor’s parameters (RPM’s, Speed, Pressure, Temp, Etc) right there on your Simrad screen. Allowed me to get rid of all of my analog gauges altogether.
Also provides everything you could possibly want to know about your vessel’s fuel right there on your Simrad MFD- burn rate, averages, fuel range, tank levels, etc etc)

I have done complete dash/electronics overhauls on my own two vessels, along with five of my friends’ vessels and converted over to Simrad units on every single one of them. Everybody totally loves their Simrad MFD and I have yet to hear any complaints. Quite a vast improvement coming from older Raymarine and Garmin units.

Simrad currently has a cash back rebate of $100-$200 on GO7 XSR, GO9 XSE, and GO12 XSE. Maybe that can help you justify jumping up to a 7” screen instead of the 5” screen on a GO5?! 🤷🏽‍♂️

Hope that helps you out a little bit with the decision making process.
Any questions or concerns, or even if you need any help with regards to the install - please don’t hesitate!

-Jeramy

Reactions: SD2600

Rusty123

Yep
Mar 7, 2019
Long Beach
Name
Rusty
Boat
Bayliner cuddy
I normally wouldn’t chime in on something like this seeing as you already received a few responses and suggestions from people....

But I just couldn’t help but feel that it would be a flagrant social injustice for me to gloss over all of this and carry on with my life without mentioning that I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you go the Simrad GO series route, like the fella above had recommended. A GO5 or even better yet if you could find a killer deal on a new or used GO7 XSE or XSR. (Obviously the larger the screen the easier it is to see small words and details....especially when viewing the custom configured split screens with 2 or 4 different panels/functions all fit onto the screen at once!)

Along with the Simrad GO XSE/XSR you should get either a ‘3 in 1 Active Imaging’ or else a “TotalScan” transom mount transducer. Absolute best bang for your buck and enables tons of helpful features - truly allows you to get the most out of your Simrad MFD capability. (Along with a few other transducers, I have a TotalScan transom mount ducer on both of my boats and have been able to obtain impressive results it. A TotalScan will allow you to select from Medium and High chirp frequencies, 83/200hz traditional frequencies, Structure Scan HD, Side Scan, Down Scan, and also has a built in temperature sensor.)
Can find a new or gently used TotalScan ducer with mounting bracket and long cable for $150.

The whole Simrad system/program/interface is quite easy to learn very intuitive. Doesn’t take much to figure out and you simply will not get frustrated while attempting to become familiar with it.

Don’t know what type of motor you have, but there is a cable or interface module available for most all major outboard brands that will allow you to view all of your motor’s parameters (RPM’s, Speed, Pressure, Temp, Etc) right there on your Simrad screen. Allowed me to get rid of all of my analog gauges altogether.
Also provides everything you could possibly want to know about your vessel’s fuel right there on your Simrad MFD- burn rate, averages, fuel range, tank levels, etc etc)

I have done complete dash/electronics overhauls on my own two vessels, along with five of my friends’ vessels and converted over to Simrad units on every single one of them. Everybody totally loves their Simrad MFD and I have yet to hear any complaints. Quite a vast improvement coming from older Raymarine and Garmin units.

Simrad currently has a cash back rebate of $100-$200 on GO7 XSR, GO9 XSE, and GO12 XSE. Maybe that can help you justify jumping up to a 7” screen instead of the 5” screen on a GO5?! 🤷🏽‍♂️

Hope that helps you out a little bit with the decision making process.
Any questions or concerns, or even if you need any help with regards to the install - please don’t hesitate!

-Jeramy
Wow! Thanks for the thorough reply. A lot to think about. The Simrad units seem to be a tad bit more expensive, but seem worth it with all the features. I will definitely look into the Simrad, probably the smaller units as my boat isnt too big and space is a premium. I have just been a little afraid to look into Simrad units because of the cost. Thanks again!

Reactions: KneppNasty