Help in Texas

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by haoule, Aug 3, 2011.

1. haoule

haoule Newbie

Name:
    tom andrews
    Boat:
    marlin 35 cc
    Not sure if this is the right forum but have a question about some of the equipment you guys use.The swordfishing here is going off and I want to use the swivel rod mounts you guys use on your riggers and sometimes on the flatlines. Most of the time fish are fought from the rodholders and thought these would be the kine for clearing the gunwale and to keep from bending over when reeling.So question is what do you guys call them and where can I source them . Thanks in advance and you guys launching in Kanehoe tell Ernie Tom Andrews said howdy from Texas!

2. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
  3. ahi lawaia

ahi lawaia Member

Name:
    CP
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Conquest 21
    Those swiveling adapters LundieF gave you the link for are economical and would seem to work, but pretty much require that you use bent butts on your rods for them to work effectively.

The commonly used swivel rod holders seen out here are called shotguns. They work equally well with straight or bent butt rods. There are two basic types: one mounts in your gunnel like a flush mount rod holder, the other mounts on the inside of your gunnel like a side mount rod or 'rigger holder. Both come with either compression or pin locking for the swivel function. The compression type obviously would let you swivel and set the holder to any position whereas the pin type only lets you set the angle of the holes for the pin. Many guys here get their shotguns custom made by good welders that they know but they're also sold off-the-shelf. Check some of them out at this link:

http://www.pop-hawaii.com/store/index.php?cPath=78&osCsid=bec3a9764f709efb437ab3d360dbfe6c

Good luck with the swords!

4. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    these are the same brand i use on the crazy haole and they are the shit, adjustable clutch for howmuch tension you want, i highly recomend these if you have bent butt rods!!!

5. LundieF

LundieF Member

Name:
    Lundie
    Boat:
    20' Shamrock WA, Maka 'oi 'oi II
    After re-reading his post I think he was talking about shotguns. Not my preference though, I like my gunwales clear and clean. Sounds like the Texas guy knows someone in Kaneohe, I'd say have him keep an eye on craigslist and see if he can find something to ship out to you.