smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat Name
won't b mine
I picked up a couple of Sabres some time ago and decided to possibly fish them. One is all roller. The other was a mystery at first. Someone had wrapped an overlay covering what I correctly guessed was the Sabre logo and specs as you look to see original vs faded wraps. I just fished that one and am thinking of having it redone to original. Any suggestions? Sorry the pics are a bit out of order.
20221102_110852.jpg
20221102_110716.jpg
20221102_110653.jpg

20221102_110818.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat Name
23 ft. crestliner
It's a little hard to find an exact match for the thread. I'm not sure what Sabre used back then but the best match I have found is some old Holland in size C NCP.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat Name
24 ft grady white
It's a little hard to find an exact match for the thread. I'm not sure what Sabre used back then but the best match I have found is some old Holland in size C NCP.
Holland 317 is the color.I have some.A perfect match.

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat Name
won't b mine
I did the Google search for "spoofer" and came up with a link to Alan Tani's site with several contributors describing it more. I never heard that term before. As for the other, the 197, I think I'll be setting that one up for restoration now that I have the color match. Thx all!

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat Name
24'custom
Good old chocolate sabres! Great ride you have there. Your 197 is a perfect all around SoCal live bait inshore island rod. And your SM80 with the spoofer reel seat. Slap a 114 4/0 on there and your good.

I’ve got that SM80 in factory perfect condition. It fits my international’s PERFECTLY. Slap a 16s 2speed or a new silver 20VISX and your good to go! It’s my new slipstream rod!
598919FD-8F40-4BFA-AC8F-E374A628599F.jpeg

45692822-8940-4540-9440-DB7BD34A2328.jpeg

I love my chocolate sabres great glass that will last forever!
Never pass up the opportunity to buy them when you can!

Last edited:
Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat Name
23 ft. crestliner
You used to see the Spoofer realseats on rods the guys used for trolling for albacore back in the late 60's and early 70's. Usually they used a 6/0 Senator. You mostly saw them on Chocolate Sabre trolling rods but they were also used on other rods. They came in several different colors. I have them in chrome, brown and white. They were interchangable like the Aftco Unibutt so you can switch them from rod to rod. I have 5 or 6 Sabre trollers with Spoofer realseats that I have collected over the past 20 or 30 years. You used to see them pretty often 15 or 20 years ago but they are getting hard to find now.

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat Name
won't b mine
You used to see the Spoofer realseats on rods the guys used for trolling for albacore back in the late 60's and early 70's. Usually they used a 6/0 Senator. You mostly saw them on Chocolate Sabre trolling rods but they were also used on other rods. They came in several different colors. I have them in chrome, brown and white. They were interchangable like the Aftco Unibutt so you can switch them from rod to rod. I have 5 or 6 Sabre trollers with Spoofer realseats that I have collected over the past 20 or 30 years. You used to see them pretty often 15 or 20 years ago but they are getting hard to find now.
Did Sabre build them with the spoofer or was that a modification that was popular back in the day? i.e. can I remove/replace it, or keep it as is? Haven't tried to do anything with it yet, so not sure how it fishes with my trolling of yt (mostly). Obviously 6/0 is a bit dated for yt trolling and the rod appears stiff for that application. I mostly do local bottom fishing, so, again, a bit stiff.

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat Name
won't b mine
Good old chocolate sabres! Great ride you have there. Your 197 is a perfect all around SoCal live bait inshore island rod. And your SB80 with the spoofer reel seat. Slap a 114 4/0 on there and your good.

I’ve got that SB80 in factory perfect condition. It fits my international’s PERFECTLY. Slap a 16s 2speed or a new silver 20VISX and your good to go! It’s my new slipstream rod!View attachment 1438815
View attachment 1438821
I love my chocolate sabres great glass that will last forever!
Never pass up the opportunity to buy them when you can!
4/0 does seem like a good fit! I had a TLD-15 on the 197 and it felt nice, and could have gone a bit bigger to push it more. That day with the fish being caught, the -15 was perfect! Just as with your set up which is very sweet, oldies look so nice particularly as close to mint as we can get them, that's why I'm gonna have the 197 redone.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat Name
23 ft. crestliner
They came from the factory that way. You see them mostly on the IGFA 80lb class rods but they also came on some of the IGFA 50lb class rods. You could change it over to a regular reelseat by using an Aftco Unibutt or a Varmac RS reelseat but they are kind of collectable and it is worth more in the original condition. The paint flaking off is pretty common. You can sand things smooth and repaint it and it should almost new when you are done.

Reactions: smokinwater
Upvote 0