Help identify this fish?

AirAndSea

Apr 23, 2019
Ventura Ca
Name
Chris G
Boat
17’ Outrage
I caught these off the coast in Ventura area, and I’m guessing they are brown rockfish. I’m still learning to distinguish between some of the rockfish, so I appreciate help identifying these! Thanks

83043ECA-E2F5-4663-8D91-41DBE612328A.jpeg

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
Sep 7, 2007
la habra hts
Name
mike garrahan
Boat
23 ft. crestliner
You get up to northern California and the black rockfish (Sebastes melanops) and the blue rockfish (Sebastes mystinus) are very common. All of them look pretty much the same only different colors.

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB

TOTW

Time On The Water
  • Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    The sugar bass term is usually in reference to a kelp rockfish, Sebastes atrovirens, and while close, these aren’t those. The dark ear spot is a dead giveaway for the brown rockfish.

Reactions: party_cat_pat

walter heim

Feb 20, 2021
    San Diego
    Name
    walter heim
    Boat
    Bayrunner
    I concur with brown rockfish aka bolina.
    For fish ID, if it has 13 dorsal spines, it is probably a rockfish. Now you just need to know which one as i believe there are 53 species

AirAndSea

Apr 23, 2019
    Ventura Ca
    Name
    Chris G
    Boat
    17’ Outrage
    Okay, someone needs to say it: be careful about keeping fish you can’t identify. Can be a very expensive mistake. In this case, no issue, just good eats!
    I feel pretty confident in identifying what I’m not allowed to keep. And I knew these were some type of rock fish, just wasn’t exactly sure which species. Im glad people are here to help. I read the regs and agree with your sentiment, better safe than sorry.

KXKH

Almost A Member
  • Feb 28, 2018
    NorCal
    Name
    Boat
    19' Hobie
    Brown rockfish for sure, good eating fish. My favorite rockfish is the blue rockfish, I call them the crappie of the ocean.

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
    That's a brown rockfish, aka bolinas. We catch them from time to time out of Avila. They're good eating. Best eating is the gophers, if they're big enough and they don't drag your lure into the rocks.

Blues are just pests really, meat is mushier. Bigger ones are ok though. We always throw the blues back.

Reactions: T-Tang