Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat Name
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
I’d buy a 23’ NorthRiver OS, unless you need/want an open bow.

Just my $.02 ( I’m kinda bias though)

Upvote 0

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat Name
22' Alumaweld Intruder
Not all self bailers are created equal. I’ve ridden on a lot of boats where the scuppers are so close to the waterline the back deck always has water on it and others that use the ping pong balls to keep the water out.

When I had my boat built, I told the builder neither of those were acceptable to me. He agreed and told me that’s why he builds his boats to not need them.

A scupper under water is just another hole in the boat below the water line.

Reactions: Seahusky
Upvote 0

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
Southern wa
Name
Jakob
Boat Name
16.5 smoker craft pro lodge
I can’t imagine buying an aluminum boat at this moment. They are insanely overpriced and I have to believe the price is coming down soon as there should be a pretty good inventory on used boats with 40hrs on them when we all go bankrupt
Specially new aluminum boats. They are so over priced it’s nuts. Used aluminums can still be had at More reasonable prices. You can all ready tell the boat inventory is going up and people are having a harder time selling boats. And prices seem to be dropping. Not On new boats though.

Upvote 0

Alysium

Almost A Member
Sep 11, 2020
Keller Washington 99140
Name
Nate
Boat Name
Op220
New Raiders are not the Raider boats of a few years ago. They are now made very well and pretty sleek lines. Will admit the owner is awesome and was very reach-able and extremely helpful!

I’d buy a 23’ NorthRiver OS, unless you need/want an open bow.

Just my $.02 ( I’m kinda bias though)

Raider wasn’t on the list a few years ago because of their reputation. Heard things are different now.

From a fresh water perspective the open bow is nice for unimproved launches. No docks where I launch.

Sounds like raider is making a decent boat now… hewes has been doing it for 60+ years… don’t know if you need a dealer to service it for you? Mine hasn’t been back and don’t think it ever will. Both should be comparable, go with what you like.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide…

Reactions: Frontier
Upvote 0

t_dub

I remember when I used to fish.............
Jan 3, 2010
Kenmore
Name
Ty
Boat Name
20' Hewescraft Searunner
Haven't seen a Raider in awhile then ran across this beautiful little lady in Westport the other day. Yeah, their lines have definitely changed. The dozen or so rods laid out in the cabin all with Tranx reels on them were pretty nice too

3B731B22-ADB6-4D0A-A5D1-3B327AA9B508.jpeg

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2017
Gig Harbor, Washington
Name
Woody
Boat Name
Duckworth XL 30
I had a Hewescraft Pacific Explorer 240 and it was fine boat. It did everything I asked of it. I got what I paid for. Sold it summer of 2020.

There is a constant vocal group of supporters for Raider boats. Kind of a low rumble on the forums. That's all I know about them.

If you're considering getting a boat for fishing inshore and occasional ocean runs for bottomfish or salmon the Ocean Pro 22 will work fine if you're selective about what days you go over the bar.

Also, let's ditch the idea of chasing tuna... while it can be done in a boat that small, you're better off jumping in an open seat from someone on this forum or paying for a charter IMO. By the time you have an Ocean Pro rigged for tuna, you can barely have three people in the boat before its over capacity....and being at capacity is dangerous if seas kick up and you're in a boat that doesn't self-bail, like the Ocean Pro. You'll also be burning more fuel than usual to push that load thru the water, and the fuel capacity isn't enough for running 50+ miles offshore.

As mentioned above, I also think the North River Seahawk OS 2300 is pretty sweet and might be my choice if I were shopping for something in that range.

If you haven't purchased anything yet, I recommend stacking your cash and waiting. I have a feeling there will be lots of boats for sale this winter and into next summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frontier
Upvote 0

Hewes OP

Night Crawlers & Powerbait Baby!!
Apr 2, 2010
Arlington, WA
Name
Geoff
Boat Name
Hewes OceanPro "TIN-ASS-CITY" & Starcraft 1648 Mod V for the ducks
I have a Hewes 200 OP which isn't even made anymore (2008). I run it mostly in the sound areas 6, 7, 8-1, 8-2, 9, and 10, I have used it out of Westport, Sekiu, Neah Bay as well as Baker Lake for Sockeye, Snohomish river for Pinks, Ive even used it in lake Godwin for trout fishing. It has been a great boat, hull is still in great shape it has done everything I have asked of it. If I was shopping today for a boat in its class, I would definitly look towards the North Rivers they are a different boat than the were when I bought mine. Hewes still makes a nice boat and would be a consideration. Don't know much about the Raiders but it looks like they have improved through the years. I still feel bang for your buck is Hewes.

Upvote 0

Frontier

Jun 28, 2022
Idaho
Name
Shayne
Boat Name
Freedom
Thanks for all the replies. Some really good thoughts on this thread for me and I appreciate it. I was leaning towards the Raider, no question. I think it was more sea worthy than the Hewes OP, but I really like the Hewes for the inland lakes. As fate would have it, I was driving down the road and seen a Weldcraft 220 Ocean King with a for sale sign on it. It was a 2020, bought in 2021 with 27.6 hours on the Yamaha 250. Too good of a price to pass up. So, I am now the proud owner of a Weldcraft Ocean King. Thanks again all.

boat.jpg

Upvote 0

BloodThirsty

Advertiser
Advertiser
Feb 22, 2011
Colville, WA
www.raiderboats.com
Name
Jon Lawrence
Boat Name
Raider 270 Sea Raider
What year did they change design and improve quality?
I bought the company 5 years ago with two of my best friends, it's taken a bit to get everyone on the crew up to snuff and source and train talent but we have and they're amazing. 2020 models are really where it becomes the most noticeable but the changes were noticeable out the gate. I think I made something like 250 changes in the first year to the boats then followed with a slew every Qtr since. Now what comes out of the shop is nothing short of a horse of an entirely different color, so much that at times I regret having the Raider name but it'll work out just fine. We have limited production capabilities which is what I want to keep a more focused customer service. High volume production doesn't interest us.

If you have questions fire me a text anytime. 503.798.6818

That copper red boat down on float 6 is mine. Our production focus is 21'-30' and our custom focus is 30'-35' up to 10.5' wide at this time, we will build only 6 boats similar to what I have on float 6 a year in that size range, that's it. I will build anything from charter focused non painted Walk-Arounds to decked out to the 9's like pictured here. The Copper Red boat is a 31'x9'9" hull. Not really the layout I would have for Westport, I built this for my family and partners family to use out of Whittier overnighting out at Montague and running out to Middleton but it highlights what we can do very well. Boats name is "Ironclad".

tempImagejUjog1.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
Southern wa
Name
Jakob
Boat Name
Thanks for all the replies. Some really good thoughts on this thread for me and I appreciate it. I was leaning towards the Raider, no question. I think it was more sea worthy than the Hewes OP, but I really like the Hewes for the inland lakes. As fate would have it, I was driving down the road and seen a Weldcraft 220 Ocean King with a for sale sign on it. It was a 2020, bought in 2021 with 27.6 hours on the Yamaha 250. Too good of a price to pass up. So, I am now the proud owner of a Weldcraft Ocean King. Thanks again all.

View attachment 1402795
What was the price?

Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    @BloodThirsty Good on you!! Sounds like your building a hell of a boat and as you said it will work itself out… Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Dilleytech

Mar 22, 2017
    Southern wa
    Name
    Jakob
    Boat Name
    I bought the company 5 years ago with two of my best friends, it's taken a bit to get everyone on the crew up to snuff and source and train talent but we have and they're amazing. 2020 models are really where it becomes the most noticeable but the changes were noticeable out the gate. I think I made something like 250 changes in the first year to the boats then followed with a slew every Qtr since. Now what comes out of the shop is nothing short of a horse of an entirely different color, so much that at times I regret having the Raider name but it'll work out just fine. We have limited production capabilities which is what I want to keep a more focused customer service. High volume production doesn't interest us.

If you have questions fire me a text anytime. 503.798.6818

That copper red boat down on float 6 is mine. Our production focus is 21'-30' and our custom focus is 30'-35' up to 10.5' wide at this time, we will build only 6 boats similar to what I have on float 6 a year in that size range, that's it. I will build anything from charter focused non painted Walk-Arounds to decked out to the 9's like pictured here. The Copper Red boat is a 31'x9'9" hull. Not really the layout I would have for Westport, I built this for my family and partners family to use out of Whittier overnighting out at Montague and running out to Middleton but it highlights what we can do very well. Boats name is "Ironclad".

View attachment 1402800
    Your guys raider coastal 23’ is my dream boat . New aluminum boat prices are completely fucked right now but I’ll hopefully be in a used one in coming years.

Upvote 0