HELP. Hewes OP 220 vs. Raider Profish 220

Frontier

Jun 28, 2022
Idaho
Name
Shayne
Boat Name
Freedom
New to the Forum here. Been wanting to expand my fishing to bigger waters and looking to upgrade to a larger boat. I'm wanting to stay small enough to fish the inland lakes and yet be able to go off shore and do salmon and the occasional tuna run which I have never experienced. Looking at the Ocean Pro 220 and the Profish from Raider. Any thoughts from anyone. Getting close to pulling the trigger. The prices seem to run very close to each other.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

BloodThirsty

Advertiser
Advertiser
Feb 22, 2011
Colville, WA
www.raiderboats.com
Name
Jon Lawrence
Boat Name
Raider 270 Sea Raider
New to the Forum here. Been wanting to expand my fishing to bigger waters and looking to upgrade to a larger boat. I'm wanting to stay small enough to fish the inland lakes and yet be able to go off shore and do salmon and the occasional tuna run which I have never experienced. Looking at the Ocean Pro 220 and the Profish from Raider. Any thoughts from anyone. Getting close to pulling the trigger. The prices seem to run very close to each other.
Thanks.
Hey @Frontier, I'm happy to answer any technical questions you have. I'm one of the owners of Raider so my opinion is going to be biased my cell is 503.798.6818.

The Hewes is a nice boat but different ballparks.

For 2023 we're building the Pro Fish with .250" bottom, .160" sides., full extrusion weld out top and bottom, no plastic through hulls, all welded. Any below the waterline through hull has a stainless steel shutoff valved on a welded standpipe. Offshore bracket is fully chambered, no expansion foam in the boat, high bow sheer... the list goes on. Text is the best for me but I can take calls between 6 and 8pm fairly easily.

You may want to move this post to the Washington forum for best traction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phish'n Phool

• Jul 15, 2010
    Wet Side
    Name
    Par
    Boat Name
    Pursuit OS 355
    I’m a glass guy but been on plenty of metal boats. Best advice is to take each boat out for a seatrial in windy choppy conditions. Buy the most horsepower you can afford and if buying new, be sure to account for rigging $$. I’ve always thought the Hewes sit too low and have poor visibility. The newer models might be better. Also be sure to get a selfbailing deck that bails overboard. Not into the bilge. personally, I would hold on a boat purchase. Prices are at record highs. The market will be flooded with newer (low hrs) used boats in the next year when the economy takes a dive.

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat Name
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    No freaking Pain-t. No carpet. Self Bailing. Fish box. Cover the bow so it's flat. The open bow will hold water. The 2ea 2 to 4" holes drain water slow. Coolers in that area make the bow heavy. And could cause cracking. Also less dry storage in the bow. Not a fan of the Hewes cabin. Does give you some headroom if your taller. 250hp with a 9.9 kicker. Honda and Suzuki run at rated hp without 89 octane.(not available on the coast only reg gas is) get the bigger fuel tank. Or be ready to run 12 gallon saddle tanks. PNW albacore have been a 70mile run the last couple of years. Radar arch and rod holders will be needed as well as good suspension seats.

When you start making your final selection look at the welds around the helm/cockpit. Should be similar to the rest of the welds in Appearance. Look at Allied boats as well. I do like North Rivers as well.

Take Jon aka bloodthirsty up on his offer as well for more info. Rigging costs money.

Reactions: Barracuda1
    Upvote 0

Salmon Hunter

Apr 29, 2010
    West Richland WA
    Name
    Rick
    Boat Name
    19’ Northwest Jet
    Owning an aluminum boat and considering what you want to do, I would strongly suggest looking for boats with self bailing decks. There should be plenty of threads on the forum that you can search to see what people like, why and what to avoid.

Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 29, 2013
    Everett, WA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat Name
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    No boat does it all. Just like skis.

If you want to fish inland lakes (I’m assuming east side?), be sure to think about ease of trailering. 22’ is good for going over the mountains with a well maintained rig and trailer. Bigger will be harder.

You mentioned that you would like it to fish tuna but you’ve “never experienced that before”. Fix that problem BEFORE you buy a boat. You’ll know much better if you want a puget sound/lakes/efficient/occasional-“pick your days”-ocean-salmon boat OR a sufficient ice/sufficient range/self bailing OCEAN boat.

You’ve come to the right place for advice on how to spend your money. Enjoy the boat buying process!

Upvote 0

Seahusky

Mar 19, 2019
    Sequim, Washington State.
    Name
    Seahusky
    Boat Name
    Hewescraft Ocean Pro
    I had a 2016 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 HT/ET and that thing could take a beating. I fished off Vancouver Island, Sekiu, Straits of Juan De Fuca etc and out in some really nasty weather and never once did I feel as if the boat could not handle the conditions.
    I upgraded to a 2022 Hewescraft Pacific Cruiser 240 and the missus and I have been loving it.
    I have fished glass and wooden hulled boats off the south east coast of Ireland most of my life so I know how to handle a boat and know it's limitations. I looked at other aluminum boats before deciding on the Hewescraft.
    Hewescraft in my opinion are the best value for money out there and customer service is excellent. Their re-sale value is also one of the best.
    West Side Marine in Port Townsend is my local dealer and they are the best bunch of guys to have working on your boat. They are all seasoned fishermen who know how to rig a boat right.
    Also agree with everyone else here, max out the HP on your new boat. The Suzuki, Yammy, Honda 250 are top notch engines.
    Thats my $0.02.

Reactions: TimeZoned
    Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat Name
    Parker 2320
    I don’t have any direct experience with either.

But I can say. My buddy picked up a 24’ Raider. We ran from Sekiu to the Prairie then the SWC on a day when the south winds picked up pretty good. He kept right up and never missed a beat.

I like the lines on those Raiders that have the high bow shear.

Reactions: Frontier
    Upvote 0

Alysium

Almost A Member
    Sep 11, 2020
    Keller Washington 99140
    Name
    Nate
    Boat Name
    Op220
    Thanks.

Any thoughts yet?

Not sure if you want a self bailer if most of your fishing is in fresh water?

I looked at most cookies… went with the hewes.

Blue collar shit.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Frontier

Jun 28, 2022
    Idaho
    Name
    Shayne
    Boat Name
    Freedom
    If you follow the bloody decks boat building bible. Max the power out! You can never have too much cow bell 🤘…especially if you want to tuna fish
    Thanks. Absolutely agree. Most of my fresh water fishing is at 6000 feet and above.

Upvote 0

Frontier

Jun 28, 2022
    Idaho
    Name
    Shayne
    Boat Name
    Freedom
    Any thoughts yet?

Not sure if you want a self bailer if most of your fishing is in fresh water?

I looked at most cookies… went with the hewes.

Blue collar shit.

Man bun and skinny jeans for the others…
    I think you have a great point about “do I really want a self bailer because most of my fishing will be in fresh water”. For me the Raider would be the choice but the nearest dealer is a long ways away where the nearest Hewscraft is about 60 miles. Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat Name
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    I'll say this. Without hesitation, Hewes "newer" ownership is lacking. They've lost the small-town, customer-oriented foundation that they were built on. Now it's a turn and burn cookie cutter boat factory. Making new customers happy is more important than keeping old customers/current owners happy.

And this is not a reflection on Hewes dealers. Guys like Randy at Westside are some of the best in the business.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Seahusky

Mar 19, 2019
    Sequim, Washington State.
    Name
    Seahusky
    Boat Name
    Hewescraft Ocean Pro
    I'll say this. Without hesitation, Hewes "newer" ownership is lacking. They've lost the small-town, customer-oriented foundation that they were built on. Now it's a turn and burn cookie cutter boat factory. Making new customers happy is more important than keeping old customers/current owners happy.

And this is not a reflection on Hewes dealers. Guys like Randy at Westside are some of the best in the business.
    Randy and Travis are without doubt the best and most professional guys I have dealt with in my boat buying experiences here.

Upvote 0