Help dialing in lowrance HDS8

tuff guy

Mar 31, 2013
San Diego, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
Boat
Hi, I have a Lowrance HDS8 and wanted to see if anyone else who uses one has any helpful tips dialing it in. It seems to be a 83/200 transducer but the head unit also gives me the option for 50? Here are a couple photos of the transducer.

When rockfishing, I don't seem to have trouble marking bottom. I did some reading and it sounds like i should be using the 200 setting for that. Is that correct? If so, should I be zooming in on the bottom as much as I can?

Offshore, there is a deep water mode and a slow trolling mode. Should I be using the deep water mode? Is 83 the correct setting?

I have sensitivity on auto, does anyone have tips for helping me dial this in to get the best picture possible? I had a Garmin unit which was a much newer (2019 model) on a previous boat and I liked that one a lot more but now I got the lowrance and I want to make the most of it.

Any tips you can provide would be helpful, I've searched a ton, but it's nice to talk to folks who use this setup in socal. Thanks!

20210513_111321.jpg

20210513_111311.jpg

20210513_111309.jpg

Upvote 0

zing1402

• Jul 13, 2020
    yorba linda
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    which one
    i am in no way an expert but i had that same unit and ducer i could never get it to mark fish in anything other than the 200hz. i would be marking/catching fish switch it to 83hz screen wouldnt show shit. i run a 3 in1 ducer now and its great maybe look into upgrading the ducer if you cant work it out.

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

sandiegosteve

Fish nerd
    Feb 5, 2007
    San Diego
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Lil' Defiance Pilothouse
    The original HDS8? I have one and started here -
    I keep mine un "General" 200hz 90% of the time. I may switch to 50hz (I think that is it) when looking deeper than about 250'. Offshore I run it in "slow trolling" mode and set depth from 0-250'.

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2006
    So cal
    Name
    Guerms
    Boat
    18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
    FOR deeper water the rule is lower frequency 50 83 . You need to experiment for what works for you. Try increasing gain for deeper water . Time on water things will look better when you get comfortable with your machine. Also maybe you need to adjust the transducer for better performance. SPEEd up ping speed.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0