Help choose kelp calico rod with other uses

phishphood

Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Name
Mitch
Boat
my bathtub
Hi. I'm looking at acquiring a new rod for my Lexa 300. Probably spooling it 50# PP and using a short length of fluoro or mono as needed. Definitely not newest and bestest stuff here. My primary usage would be for throwing hard plastics and maybe light surface irons for calicos (and bonitos and cuda) around the kelp in LJ off my kayak but definitely would want it to be able to handle YT and WSB occasionally.

The caveat is I'd love it to be at least a little fun in the bays either on kayak or off the rocks.

Even more bonus points if I could pair it with a Fathom 15 for smaller fish on 1day or 1.5 day trips out of SD, but I understand that's pretty opposite of what I'm asking for in the bays.

I have a line on black Teramar TMC-X76HB, TMC-X80MH, or TMC-X80H or a Phenix Black Diamond PSW 760ML all for around the same price. Any suggestions out of those or am I looking way off the mark. All input greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Reactions: Shewillbemine
Upvote 0

rdrrm8e

Fucking Stan
Nov 19, 2003
Anaheim
bdoutdoors.com
Name
chuck
Boat
No
Take this from a guy who has targeted Calicos for LB to Catalina to Clemente to Cedros and Eugenia and skiff trips on the Q105 for many years.

Seeker Black Steel 809 with cork grips. For lighter style I would also have an 828

I have fished everything from calicos to a 150 lb. BSB at Cedros in 2019 with the 809. I have caught 150 lb. BFT on the 809. I have always said if I sold all my tackle the 809 would be the last rod I will sell.

YMMV

Reactions: Kevin Helfend
hucklongfin
hucklongfin
How did I know that's what you'd suggest! Do you still have 2 809's or have you added another one?
Upvote 0

phishphood

Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Name
Mitch
Boat
my bathtub
Take this from a guy who has targeted Calicos for LB to Catalina to Clemente to Cedros and Eugenia and skiff trips on the Q105 for many years.

Seeker Black Steel 809 with cork grips. For lighter style I would also have an 828

I have fished everything from calicos to a 150 lb. BSB at Cedros in 2019 with the 809. I have caught 150 lb. BFT on the 809. I have always said if I sold all my tackle the 809 would be the last rod I will sell.

YMMV
Appreciate the input but way outside of my range.

Upvote 0

phishphood

Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
Name
Mitch
Boat
my bathtub
I use the TMC 80MH paired with my Fathom 15 or Daiwa 300-I really like it-surface iron or bait for calicos to tuna/ yellowtail to 35 lbs.It’s my most used rod.
Any idea what action yours is? The one I'm looking at is extra fast, so the lure rating is only up to 2oz. The x80h I'm looking at rates up to 4oz but I'm not sure if it'll be too heavy to be any fun.

Upvote 0

Kenchisan

May 20, 2009
Thousand Oaks
Name
ken
Boat
I found out the hard way about boats
Action is moderate/fast.I agree the H would be too heavy.I’m casting surface iron and it’s perfect but still has the backbone for bigger fish.It’s already at the limit of calicos for the lite end.I have the 80M which is better for calicos and leadheads but when yellows come thru it’s a little soft.The MH is just right.

Reactions: fcsd_christian
Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
Hi. I'm looking at acquiring a new rod for my Lexa 300. Probably spooling it 50# PP and using a short length of fluoro or mono as needed. Definitely not newest and bestest stuff here. My primary usage would be for throwing hard plastics and maybe light surface irons for calicos (and bonitos and cuda) around the kelp in LJ off my kayak but definitely would want it to be able to handle YT and WSB occasionally.

The caveat is I'd love it to be at least a little fun in the bays either on kayak or off the rocks.

Even more bonus points if I could pair it with a Fathom 15 for smaller fish on 1day or 1.5 day trips out of SD, but I understand that's pretty opposite of what I'm asking for in the bays.

I have a line on black Teramar TMC-X76HB, TMC-X80MH, or TMC-X80H or a Phenix Black Diamond PSW 760ML all for around the same price. Any suggestions out of those or am I looking way off the mark. All input greatly appreciated. Cheers!
since you're "Budget Minded", this guy is selling a used 270- (12-30lb). short for kayak, i believe light weight "S-Glass", enough power for WSB, light enough for inshore. maybe you can score a deal? looks clean in the photo!

see:
Classified Section

Reactions: woodfish330
Upvote 0

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    Phenix M1. I have an M711 rated 10-25 I use with a Calcutta 300D for throwing small jigs/plastics in the bay or kelp off my yak. great surface rod and definitely a little beef to it for a small rod. definitely gonna be a bit undergunned if i connect to a decent yt, but hey its all in good fun. id bump up to the 15-35 rated M1 for a lexa 300. That shouldnt have any problem handling yt and wsb

Upvote 0

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    Brand new with tags, $100 picked up in SFV

16318146957766246817801569326071.jpg

fcsd_christian
    fcsd_christian
    thats way too small for a lexa 300, cmon man he is aksing for advice not for you to pawn off your gear on him
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    Also the Californian series by Turners are phenix blanks with turners components. Solid price point. I have my lexa 300 paired with a Californian Trihelix 9' 15-40, but I wouldnt recommend a 9 foot rod for the yak lol.

Upvote 0

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    Brand new with tags, $100 picked up in SFV

View attachment 1318937
    I would call it a 15-20# stick, which is what I fish on a 300 sized reel, in answer to the dumbfuck saying I'm pawning off a rod and then following by listing one rated almost exactly the same. Lol

fcsd_christian
    fcsd_christian
    hey hey no need for name calling now. also im not sure in what world a 10-20# rated rod is basically the same as 15-40#, but maybe im just too much of a dumbfuck to get it.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

phishphood

Jun 16, 2009
    San Diego
    Name
    Mitch
    Boat
    my bathtub
    Just remembered I have an old 8'6" Fenwick eglass fs89c that says it's 15-30lb and 1 - 2.5oz lures. The thing is super limber though. Am I just asking for trouble if I use that anywhere near YT or seabass?

Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel
    Just remembered I have an old 8'6" Fenwick eglass fs89c that says it's 15-30lb and 1 - 2.5oz lures. The thing is super limber though. Am I just asking for trouble if I use that anywhere near YT or seabass?
    it ain't the wand...
    it's the "Magician"

Upvote 0

ron2381

salty
    Jul 9, 2017
    los angeles
    Name
    ron
    Boat
    no boat
    i switch around my lexa 300/400hd i have a uc swimbait 15-30 i throw my plastics on great rod and a calstar 850m that i throw small irons on if u are fishing the kayak or the rocks id go with the uc swimbait fanatic if im marking bigger fish i fish my 400hd on my rusx79mega

Upvote 0