HELP.....Butterfly Jig System

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by SeaDominator, Aug 12, 2007.

1. SeaDominator

SeaDominator Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Hope to have one soon
    I went out on a local 3/4 day boat last week....hoping to hook up on some cuda and yt. I bought a butterfly jig and decided to try it out because no one was get hit on the bait, so i thought what could it hurt. Started off the day using a 90g squid jig. I got a few macks and landed two halibuts....i was totally surprised by how good my new jig was working. Later i got a cuda and threw the jig out again and got slammed by a yellow. I got the yt to the surface and it got nailed by a seal....i was pissed. The seal got my fish and my new jig. Over all it was a good day on the water and i was amazed by the buttefly jig.

What i need help on is picking out a new set up for butterfly jigging and advice on new jigs to get? I got about $200 for a rod and $300 for a reel. I have been looking at the trevela jigging rods and a torium reel. Let me know if i am on the right track...or if there is a better set up. Also if anyone knows about the seminars on the butterfly jigging system. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. sdangler

sdangler Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    USS Drum SSN 677
    Conventional reel or spinner?

The system works although I haven't found a conventional reel that I like for it yet. As for spinners; I like the Japanese model of the Stella that pulls like 30# of drag and costs about $300. As for the rod; the Travala's are nice but anything with a light tip will work.

PM me if you need more info.

Mark

3. paralabrax

paralabrax Newbie

Name:
    andy
    Boat:
    13 gregor
    shimano sells a rig designed for butterfly fishing check out there website its lightweight so you dont get tired jigging all day

4. dagonative

dagonative Member

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    Kingfish 2 Arca Panga 22'
    i think the stella is more like $600 bucks

5. dagonative

dagonative Member

Name:
    Travis
    Boat:
    Kingfish 2 Arca Panga 22'
    I would get an avet mxj and the trevala rod

6. HTA

HTA Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    N/A
    MXJ is a tad too small. Look at the JX, its tall and narrow similar to the TN 40N. Ive had great success with my 670H and JX 6/3 with 65lb spectra. You have to learn how to work the retreive is all.

7. Double Z

Double Z Newbie

Name:
    Harry S. Stamper
    Boat:
    Nope
    Um, do what Mark said. That is one sweet setup and it works great.

8. fishnbuddy

fishnbuddy Member

Name:
    Junior
    I use a spinning reel. Nothing special, conventional reel is not necessay. Good job catching fish.
    ...fishnbuddy

9. sdangler

sdangler Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    USS Drum SSN 677
    Note that I mentioned that it was the overseas version of the Stella... It's like $305 and works like a champ... Just ask SUA.

I haven't found a conventional reel that I like yet to use but even an Avet JX doesn't have enough drag for the way that I want to fish. HX maybe but JX no.

I have my eye on an Accurate 665 HM narrow though.

Mark

10. Double Z

Double Z Newbie

Name:
    Harry S. Stamper
    Boat:
    Nope

Get the two speed player. I might have some bling for next year.

11. Marcus

Marcus "Oddjob"

Name:
    Marcus
    Boat:
    Tuna Jihad toilet cleaner/Intrepid
    The reel Mark is talking about is called the Twinpower by Shimano. It is awesome. I own one. Buy the 8000 series and put japanese PE line on it with a short (4-10ft) top shot of fluoro and you're good to go. I really like the trevala rods. Their price is good and they are comfortable to fish with all day.

12. Double Z

Double Z Newbie

Name:
    Harry S. Stamper
    Boat:
    Nope
    That and they pull like hell. Marks looked like it was going to explode guys were pulling so hard. Very impressive. Oh, that and the thing got bit everytime it hit the water.

13. SnyperP

SnyperP Newbie

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    I'd personally get a 30-80 or 50-100 Trevala F series for the rod for any application locally. This selection of rods gives you alot of options in jig sizes. I personally use a miniumum of 140g. The reel itself can vary quite a bit. Alot of people prefer a narrow high speed reel for it's lightness and speed. I'd get anything with 38-46 inches per crank. I use a Trinidad 16 which fits nicely in this category.

BUT I'd definitely get a conventional over a spinning reel. Although alot of hits occur while retreiving the jig, just as many hits come on the sink. It is alot easier and quicker to engage/disengage with a conventional star drag style reel. Lever reels will work as well, but they are a bit slower and add more unnecessary weight and hassel.

One part that people always seem to forget with this system is the line. Always run spectra with a short (25ft or less) topshot. The trevala rods are extremely parabolic in nature and do much better with spectra. Spectra also increases the sensitivity and capacity of your rig.

14. hatidua

hatidua Newbie

Name:
    hatidua
    Boat:
    sold 'em both
    As with many types of fishing, you can spend as much or as little as you want. Vertical jigging is no different.

You can get a $99 Trevala with a Torium 16 and be out less than $300 total...and have a very good outfit (the 66mh Trevala rated 50-100 matches up really well with a Torium 16 loaded with 65# braid). Or you can literally spend thousands (there are jigging rods that cost $1,500!).

There is such a wide variety of actual jigs meant for this type of fishing that I would suggest only buying a few of any brand until you really determine which are your favorites.

There are some cheap ones on eBay (seller is named fishincomfort if I recall) that are about $3ea if you buy a bunch and fish seem to love them. The Shimano ones are certainly nice but losing one of them can really put a dent in your pocketbook. I've come to really like those made by River2Sea and ProFishCo but there are a whole host of these jigs that work very well.

Other good jigging rods to look at that won't break the bank are those made by Hopper (google for more info on those). If you want to jump up a notch in price, rods by makers such as Smith, Tuna Max, and several others are pretty nice as well.

For about as much info on this topic as you can handle, you might have a look at www.anglers-proshop.com Randy, the owner, can set you up at just about any price point you might want.

Be cautious: this can get very very addicting!

Here's a shot of an amberjack I caught with a Torium 16 and the Trevala 66MH:

diegomarkAJ.jpg markbentAJkw.jpg

15. mozza

mozza Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Viking
    Pro gear oceanus 30 are made for jigging, they are made in the states arent they?

Shimano trini 16narrow
    Daiwa saltist30 and saltiga 30
    Duel speedy 12 & 20

pretty much any grunty reel will do the job and the narrow spools just help lay the line a little better

16. sdangler

sdangler Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    USS Drum SSN 677
    Interesting posts regarding the conventional reels...

I think that the guys that use the spinners; myself included really rip the jigs up and then take one crank one the handle and then another rip. You get the picture. I've tried this with a conventional high speed reel and not only do I have a problem with getting the line on the spool evenly but I tend to get loops in the line as well since the line rarely comes tight off of the rod tip.

Kind of hard to explain but for those of you that have tried it I think you know what I'm talking about. It seems to me that the high end spinners are the way to go for the way that I fish them and the Shimano Twin Power is what I choose to use for the way that I fish them. The Trevala rod kicks my ass but what the hell. I really like fishing the system and like the other guys have said, you don't need to buy the Shimano jigs. A little hint as well; don't use two assist hooks, one is more than enough.

I do plan on getting a narrow high profile reel to try fishing like this but just haven't had the time yet. 665 HXM Narrow or maybe something else.

[​IMG]

This is my friend G-spot with the rig that I brought on the 8 day. That little pink jig killed the YT at Thetis.

Mark

17. SnyperP

SnyperP Newbie

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    Mark, i know exactly what you're talking about. If I'm imagining it right you're trying to speed jig and crank only the dip. Your jig ends up gaining too much speed vs your retrieve and you end up with a slack line that wraps the tip of your rod and lays loose on your reel. If you end up cranking with the motion of your rod, you will always have a tight line. IE up crank on the up stroke and down crank on the down stroke. This technique also allows you to increase your speed dramatically since the two motions are in line with eachother. But then again, it isn't always about speed. ;)

I forgot to mention jigging with either a conventional or spinning reel requires different techniques. I'm not saying one won't apply to the other, but it feels very akward using a spinning technique on a conventional and vice versa.

18. Double Z

Double Z Newbie

Name:
    Harry S. Stamper
    Boat:
    Nope
    And that pic is of George saying, "Hey Bro, don't post this...":rofl::rofl:

19. SnyperP

SnyperP Newbie

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    Twinpower = Sustain
    A Stella is still a Stella in JP.

20. sdangler

sdangler Newbie

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    USS Drum SSN 677
    Xactly... I take it that you guys that fish conventional do well with the pelagics???

I'd like to try with a conventional reel and rod but I don't normally fish the longer jigs.

Mark