Help Boat Shopping- 20'-24' Dual Console Boat- Striper, Robalo, Grady-White, Cobia? West Coast

desertfishing

Aug 1, 2011
Desert Aire
Name
SP
Boat Name
Marsha
Hello- I'm looking for some help with which fiberglass boat fishing models I should check out on the west coast. I've been looking at aluminum 21 foot boats for a bit (21 North River Seahawk and similar) but I think a glass 20-24' dual console might be a better fit. $45k and under. 200hp +. I'm a bit lost for what to look for. It seems like the boats I like are on the east coast, primarily Florida, SC and Great Lakes. I'm looking for a dual console with open bow and a head. 22' seems to be the sweet spot for having a decent fishing deck in back. Over 23' and the weight and price change dramatically. Also, having fold down rear bench rather than a fiberglass bench adds a foot to the dance floor. Many of the 20 & 21' models don't seem to have a very big rear fishing space. The boat will be fishing Puget Sound and Lake WA 80% of the time and cruising with the wife and friends the other 20%.

The boats in Washington seem to be:
Striper 220 DC
Grady White 225 Freedom

The other boats I like are:
Cobia 220 DC
Sea Fox Traveler
Scout Dorado
Robalo R227

Are there better sites that boattrader, popyachts, craigslist?
Has anyone on the west purchased a boat on the east coast? How did that go?

Thank you, Scott

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat Name
    Chips N Guac
    Join Facebook groups and boat specific groups to aid your search. If the seller has a history on the site, you can see what they've done with the boat and generally, how they treated it.

Tons of people on this site have purchased from back east. Give it your due diligence to increase your chances that the boat is as presented.

Upvote 0

crawdadguy

team greybeard
  • Feb 21, 2006
    NO. County S.D.
    Name
    crawdad guy
    Boat Name
    21 seaswirl DC
    I love mY 20 ft dual console striper w/150 honda...it does get spray like most boats, but we can all stand behind the windshield...has 1 back to back seat that is a guaranteed nap starter while trolling .... has big stern area for bait tank and 2 big dudes, I fish in the front cheap to take out to 182, corner, 9mile, 181 etc.

Upvote 0

swavings

Almost A Member
  • May 30, 2012
    Newbury Park, CA
    Name
    Scott Swaving
    Boat Name
    Cobia
    I picked up a Cobia 230 WA and absolutely love the way it rides to the Channel Islands. Extremely happy with the deep V hull and it offers an extremely dry ride.

Upvote 0

desertfishing

Aug 1, 2011
    Desert Aire
    Name
    SP
    Boat Name
    Marsha
    I picked up a Cobia 230 WA and absolutely love the way it rides to the Channel Islands. Extremely happy with the deep V hull and it offers an extremely dry ride.

The Cobia 220dc is on the list but they don't have any dealers or service in the Seattle area. I'm pretty focused on a Robalo r227 right now.

Upvote 0

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
    Redlands
    Name
    The Grays
    Boat Name
    2021 Parker 2320
    In 2016 we purchased a Robablo R222 in 2016 from Captain's Choice Marine and had it shipped to So Cal. Everything was super easy including transportation. We paid $2200 for the transportation at that time. The Robalo was such a nice boat! That size boat is so easy to handle, trailer and maintain. With colder weather, the family wanted a cabin. We easily sold the Robalo and made back the money including the $2200 selling it in California.
    Next we joined Freedom Boat club where we spent a few years testing out a bunch of boats. The Key West F239 is also a nice boat along with the Cobia 22 CC. First pick would be Robalo, next Key West, then Cobia based on how they ride offshore, but any of them were good boats.
    Now we have a Parker 2320 which is perfect since we like to stay overnight at the islands and need shelter from the cold weather and wind.

Upvote 0

desertfishing

Aug 1, 2011
    Desert Aire
    Name
    SP
    Boat Name
    Marsha
    In 2016 we purchased a Robablo R222 in 2016 from Captain's Choice Marine and had it shipped to So Cal. Everything was super easy including transportation. We paid $2200 for the transportation at that time. The Robalo was such a nice boat! That size boat is so easy to handle, trailer and maintain. With colder weather, the family wanted a cabin. We easily sold the Robalo and made back the money including the $2200 selling it in California.
    Next we joined Freedom Boat club where we spent a few years testing out a bunch of boats. The Key West F239 is also a nice boat along with the Cobia 22 CC. First pick would be Robalo, next Key West, then Cobia based on how they ride offshore, but any of them were good boats.
    Now we have a Parker 2320 which is perfect since we like to stay overnight at the islands and need shelter from the cold weather and wind.
    Thanks. I appreciate it. Hoping to patiently find a Robalo r227 with a 250 over the winter.

Reactions: THE GRAYS
    Upvote 0