Help/ Advice for Salmon

Discussion in 'Northern California Fishing Reports' started by hanahou7, Jun 26, 2018.

1. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter

Ah bummer man, I am very familiar with the feeling! The last few trips out we've been having lots of success with Yakima Big Al's flashers (yellow and UV) with a Glow Krippled Anchovy, Glow FBR, and UV FBR with tray anchovies dyed blue. 20' set backs work good for us.

Leaders on the FBRs are modified with 36-48" leaders of 30# fluorocarbon and barbless octopus Gamakatsu 4/0 (no plastic tube). We just embed the hook halfway down the anchovy and have it stick up through the back. Krippled anchovies we just run stock.

Lucky spot/ depths for us have been up at Pacifica (stay away from jellyfish) and between 20 and 35 ft. The last 3 good sized fish we got came in the 20' range. My dad and I went out of HMB yesterday and run up to Pacifica. Got this 21 pounder between Pacifica Pier and Linda Mar in 60' of water. Struck on the downrigger that was 25' down running UV FBR. However, as Shaun said, fish change pretty often. Don't hesitate to switch it up and try different things. Change set ups, depths, trolling speeds, direction...just keep mixing until you find what they like. Yesterday it seemed to be a Yellow Yakima flasher with a Glow FBR trolled about 2-2.5 mph. That set up got the most hits/ action by far (friend caught 1 keeper, 2 shorts, and lost 4 on that set up).

upload_2018-7-24_8-3-37.png

Good luck to you. I hope you guys get on the fish soon since I know how frustrating and disheartening it can be. But there is a lot of info on this thread and a lot of really cool guys who are willing to provide info if you ask. Let us know if you have any other questions or need help. Go get em and share pics when you do!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    RajC likes this.
  2. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter
    Yea, I am not sure but it is possible the thicker line affects the bait/ lure action. On most of my set ups (halibut, lingcod, salmon, stripers) I just use PLine CXX Fluorocarbon 30# and that has seemed to be enough. Then again, I haven't run across a 30+ lbs fish so if that were to happen I'm sure I'd move up to a bigger leader strength haha.

3. RajC

RajC Newbie

Name:
    Raj
    Boat:
    Seaswirl Striper 2100 WA
    Cool, thanks Terence. I’m going to retie and include FBRs in the mix, try near Pacifica and adjust depths. I appreciate the guidance from Shawn, yourself and the guys in this thread. Your post has been inspiring and although it’s difficult to wake him up at 4:30am during Summer vacation, my 15 year old son said “let’s go”!

hanahou7 likes this.
  4. RajC

RajC Newbie

Name:
    Raj
    Boat:
    Seaswirl Striper 2100 WA
    We went out of Half Moon Bay this morning and ran up to Pedro Point. I took Shawn’s guidance and dropped the flashers and stacked a glow krippled anchovy and watermelon apex. The early hits were on the apex so we switched to 2 apex, with all of the action on the bottom of the downrigger at 50’ on the wire, with a 20’ setback, in about 60-80’ of water. I caught 1 keeper and my son caught 2 shakers and lost one huge one (jumped the hook). We also had a false alarm and caught a mackerel, ha. Thanks again to all those that provided great advice, and helped us finally change our luck!

4FF1ABCC-D1D8-4F14-B8E0-ACF73D0AF441.png 095BCDE5-94B9-4990-B2E3-0086D195D138.jpeg B23B03D4-0A42-4938-95DF-292B73933903.jpeg

hanahou7 and davedave like this.
  5. Rex1978

Rex1978 Member

Name:
    Rex
    Boat:
    Hopefully one day
    Great job on getting some action!
    That last picture... it might be the angle, but the coloring of a few areas of that fish look a little.... different? .......?

6. RajC

RajC Newbie

Name:
    Raj
    Boat:
    Seaswirl Striper 2100 WA
    Thanks Rex. Yea, it was the angle of the countershading / camouflage, as all 3 king salmon had a similar color pattern (dark on top and light on bottom).

7. hanahou7

hanahou7 Newbie

Name:
    Terence
    Boat:
    Arima Sea Hunter
    Congrats on getting the salmon skunk off the boat! Thanks for sharing and hope you can get into some bigger fish next time

RajC likes this.
  8. jgy

jgy Member

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
    You shouldn't be boating/netting shakers. Gives them a small chance to live if you do. If it's definitely undersized, just shake the hook while the fish is still in the water. If you have to measure it, you can lift it up by the leader and measure.

RajC likes this.
  9. RajC

RajC Newbie

Name:
    Raj
    Boat:
    Seaswirl Striper 2100 WA
    Yea, I’ll do that next time, measuring on the leader when close. I’m usually good in performing a quick catch and release. In this case the shakers were 19” and I made an exception to allow my son a picture since his first salmon.