Help/ Advice for Salmon

Jun 26, 2018
Monterey bay
Name
Shawn/onemoredrift
Boat
Big bite
Question for 11 inch hotspot flasher how much 50 lb leader do you like for the hootchie.
4’ if u error go on the side of longer. Run a teaser 18ish inch about hoochie
If u are salmon fishing in hmb no Hoichi needed. Straight bait spoon or watermelon apex still limits in hmb today

desmonic

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 11, 2013
Sunnyvale
Name
Dan
Boat
Hopefully One Day
This weekend, party boats that I follow were catching limits in less than an hour. I've never seen anything like this.

In regards to the question about leader lenght, I multiply flasher x 3, so in your case, I would use 33-40" leader.

hanahou7

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2017
San Jose, CA
Name
Terence
Boat
Arima Sea Hunter
So thanks to all of your help, I finally got on my first ocean salmon! Went out of HMB on Saturday and headed up to Pacifica. Big shout out to Shawn/onemoredrift for reaching out to me and pointing me in that direction.

Listened to everyone's advice that was given on here and trolled from 20-40'. First 5 minutes trolling and my rod goes off. After a 3-5 minute fight, I landed my first salmon:

upload_2018-7-2_7-42-56.png

We were getting hook ups all day and I was trying to get my two friends who tagged along on their first fish as well. We lost 4 nice sized ones at the boat and my friend was able to land a 22" keeper. Headed home around 10:30am since the winds picked up pretty good...took us 1.5 hrs to get back and we got pounded pretty hard haha. But, I got my first salmon so the beating was definitely worth it.

Thanks again to all of you who helped make this happen. Your advice was extremely helpful and definitely gave me that missing piece I needed to land this fish. Looking forward to getting out again.

Good luck to everyone and have a happy and safe July 4th!

Kris K

Founder, Waypoint Industries Fishing Apparel
Apr 13, 2016
Pleasant hill
Name
Kristopher Kent
Boat
Filet Show II, Aquasport Explorer 225
Awesome stuff man. This fishing game has so many intricacies and small details to sweat that most of us need to gobble up all the info we can before finding a system we are comfortable with. All too often that system works for a while then goes right into the trash in favor of another. There are those out there that cant seem to keep limits off their boat regardless of place or conditions. I am DEFINITELY not one. I need to work and stay on my toes to put fish in the box. There's something to be said about confidence too. When you act decisively, trust your plan, stick to your program you tend to get on a roll....second guess yourself, lose faith, the opposite will occur. It's a trip how much this applies to me.

Best advice on here is to start making good friends on the water. Not just radio friends. Get cell numbers....fish together....share info....ask questions....
And keep sliding on down the rabbit hole....lol

Jun 26, 2018
Monterey bay
Name
Shawn/onemoredrift
Boat
Big bite
So thanks to all of your help, I finally got on my first ocean salmon! Went out of HMB on Saturday and headed up to Pacifica. Big shout out to Shawn/onemoredrift for reaching out to me and pointing me in that direction.

Listened to everyone's advice that was given on here and trolled from 20-40'. First 5 minutes trolling and my rod goes off. After a 3-5 minute fight, I landed my first salmon:

View attachment 940767

We were getting hook ups all day and I was trying to get my two friends who tagged along on their first fish as well. We lost 4 nice sized ones at the boat and my friend was able to land a 22" keeper. Headed home around 10:30am since the winds picked up pretty good...took us 1.5 hrs to get back and we got pounded pretty hard haha. But, I got my first salmon so the beating was definitely worth it.

Thanks again to all of you who helped make this happen. Your advice was extremely helpful and definitely gave me that missing piece I needed to land this fish. Looking forward to getting out again.

super happy for you. this season has been on for the ages for salmon. as I get more info I will let you know. I have friends that deck hand the party boats from morro bay to san fran and those guys find fish a lot so they help get all of us on fish

Reactions: hanahou7

RajC

May 28, 2018
California
Name
Raj
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2100 WA

View attachment 940767

Congratulations. I read your post and can relate as a father and son team we haven’t had any luck trying to catch our first Salmon 1 time at Moss Landing near the end of season, and the last 2 Saturday’s trolling at Half Moon Bay from 6am-2pm (1st time North to Pacifica, 2nd time South to Martins Beach). Using a 12lb cannonball, we were stacking our 1 downrigger mostly at 25 and 50 feet, with a 20 foot setback, using 8” hot spot flashers, watermelon apex on top, and krippled anchovy on bottom. We were mostly in 60-80 feet, but with the rocky peaks sometimes close to bottom we ended up catching 2 Lingcod. Also, we had to clean the jellyfish off our line several times, and moved locations to avoid.

I’m going to try again Saturday at 20 and 40 feet on the wire trolling North from devils slide to mussel rock. Any other specific tips on what finally worked for you for location, water depth, down rigger or diver, flasher, lure/bait type i.e. apex, krippled anchovy or fbr?

Jun 26, 2018
Monterey bay
Name
Shawn/onemoredrift
Boat
Big bite
Congratulations. I read your post and can relate as a father and son team we haven’t had any luck trying to catch our first Salmon 1 time at Moss Landing near the end of season, and the last 2 Saturday’s trolling at Half Moon Bay from 6am-2pm (1st time North to Pacifica, 2nd time South to Martins Beach). Using a 12lb cannonball, we were stacking our 1 downrigger mostly at 25 and 50 feet, with a 20 foot setback, using 8” hot spot flashers, watermelon apex on top, and krippled anchovy on bottom. We were mostly in 60-80 feet, but with the rocky peaks sometimes close to bottom we ended up catching 2 Lingcod. Also, we had to clean the jellyfish off our line several times, and moved locations to avoid.

I’m going to try again Saturday at 20 and 40 feet on the wire trolling North from devils slide to mussel rock. Any other specific tips on what finally worked for you for location, water depth, down rigger or diver, flasher, lure/bait type i.e. apex, krippled anchovy or fbr?
drop the flasher (don't use it) and go only with watermelon apex and "glow krippled anchovy. make sure u only use tray bait the bag sucks for salmon. also the big bite will be there Saturday feel free to call for #'s as we have limited every time there. also if you see the big charter boats go troll by them a time or two and watch how many pulls they do when they drop to see the depth but all the fish we caught this year there have been 40ft deep and upto the surface in 120 to 80 foot of water. good luck

Reactions: hanahou7 and RajC

RajC

May 28, 2018
California
Name
Raj
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2100 WA
drop the flasher (don't use it) and go only with watermelon apex and "glow krippled anchovy. make sure u only use tray bait the bag sucks for salmon. also the big bite will be there Saturday feel free to call for #'s as we have limited every time there. also if you see the big charter boats go troll by them a time or two and watch how many pulls they do when they drop to see the depth but all the fish we caught this year there have been 40ft deep and upto the surface in 120 to 80 foot of water. good luck
Thanks Shawn. That’s the specific advice I was looking for. We’ve been using tray anchovies for trolling and tried mooching once with plug cut herring but hope dropping the flasher and staying shallow will change our luck.

Jun 26, 2018
Monterey bay
Name
Shawn/onemoredrift
Boat
Big bite
Thanks Shawn. That’s the specific advice I was looking for. We’ve been using tray anchovies for trolling and tried mooching once with plug cut herring but hope dropping the flasher and staying shallow will change our luck.
we dragged flashers for awhile without a scratch soon as we dropped them started landing quality fish. good luck

Jun 26, 2018
Monterey bay
Name
Shawn/onemoredrift
Boat
Big bite
When we limited while trolling on the party boat 2 weekends ago, I was surprised at how light the leaders were - about 15-20lb, in my estimation. I wonder if that's affecting some people's results?
I use 40 lb mono and no issues there but try one that way and others without see what they like that day. salmon are like women. soon as you figure it out the game changes.

Jun 26, 2018
Monterey bay
Name
Shawn/onemoredrift
Boat
Big bite
our gold spoon has lost a couple at the boat so you might try to drag a gold hammered spoon in that mix as well.

hanahou7

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2017
San Jose, CA
Name
Terence
Boat
Arima Sea Hunter

Ah bummer man, I am very familiar with the feeling! The last few trips out we've been having lots of success with Yakima Big Al's flashers (yellow and UV) with a Glow Krippled Anchovy, Glow FBR, and UV FBR with tray anchovies dyed blue. 20' set backs work good for us.

Leaders on the FBRs are modified with 36-48" leaders of 30# fluorocarbon and barbless octopus Gamakatsu 4/0 (no plastic tube). We just embed the hook halfway down the anchovy and have it stick up through the back. Krippled anchovies we just run stock.

Lucky spot/ depths for us have been up at Pacifica (stay away from jellyfish) and between 20 and 35 ft. The last 3 good sized fish we got came in the 20' range. My dad and I went out of HMB yesterday and run up to Pacifica. Got this 21 pounder between Pacifica Pier and Linda Mar in 60' of water. Struck on the downrigger that was 25' down running UV FBR. However, as Shaun said, fish change pretty often. Don't hesitate to switch it up and try different things. Change set ups, depths, trolling speeds, direction...just keep mixing until you find what they like. Yesterday it seemed to be a Yellow Yakima flasher with a Glow FBR trolled about 2-2.5 mph. That set up got the most hits/ action by far (friend caught 1 keeper, 2 shorts, and lost 4 on that set up).

upload_2018-7-24_8-3-37.png

Good luck to you. I hope you guys get on the fish soon since I know how frustrating and disheartening it can be. But there is a lot of info on this thread and a lot of really cool guys who are willing to provide info if you ask. Let us know if you have any other questions or need help. Go get em and share pics when you do!

Last edited:
Reactions: RajC

hanahou7

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2017
San Jose, CA
Name
Terence
Boat
Arima Sea Hunter
When we limited while trolling on the party boat 2 weekends ago, I was surprised at how light the leaders were - about 15-20lb, in my estimation. I wonder if that's affecting some people's results?
Yea, I am not sure but it is possible the thicker line affects the bait/ lure action. On most of my set ups (halibut, lingcod, salmon, stripers) I just use PLine CXX Fluorocarbon 30# and that has seemed to be enough. Then again, I haven't run across a 30+ lbs fish so if that were to happen I'm sure I'd move up to a bigger leader strength haha.

RajC

May 28, 2018
California
Name
Raj
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2100 WA
Ah bummer man, I am very familiar with the feeling! The last few trips out we've been having lots of success with Yakima Big Al's flashers (yellow and UV) with a Glow Krippled Anchovy, Glow FBR, and UV FBR with tray anchovies dyed blue. 20' set backs work good for us.

Leaders on the FBRs are modified with 36-48" leaders of 30# fluorocarbon and barbless octopus Gamakatsu 4/0 (no plastic tube). We just embed the hook halfway down the anchovy and have it stick up through the back. Krippled anchovies we just run stock.

Lucky spot/ depths for us have been up at Pacifica (stay away from jellyfish) and between 20 and 35 ft. The last 3 good sized fish we got came in the 20' range. My dad and I went out of HMB yesterday and run up to Pacifica. Got this 21 pounder between Pacifica Pier and Linda Mar in 60' of water. Struck on the downrigger that was 25' down running UV FBR. However, as Shaun said, fish change pretty often. Don't hesitate to switch it up and try different things. Change set ups, depths, trolling speeds, direction...just keep mixing until you find what they like. Yesterday it seemed to be a Yellow Yakima flasher with a Glow FBR trolled about 2-2.5 mph. That set up got the most hits/ action by far (friend caught 1 keeper, 2 shorts, and lost 4 on that set up).

View attachment 947597

Good luck to you. I hope you guys get on the fish soon since I know how frustrating and disheartening it can be. But there is a lot of info on this thread and a lot of really cool guys who are willing to provide info if you ask. Let us know if you have any other questions or need help. Go get em and share pics when you do!
Cool, thanks Terence. I’m going to retie and include FBRs in the mix, try near Pacifica and adjust depths. I appreciate the guidance from Shawn, yourself and the guys in this thread. Your post has been inspiring and although it’s difficult to wake him up at 4:30am during Summer vacation, my 15 year old son said “let’s go”!

RajC

May 28, 2018
California
Name
Raj
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2100 WA

View attachment 947597

We went out of Half Moon Bay this morning and ran up to Pedro Point. I took Shawn’s guidance and dropped the flashers and stacked a glow krippled anchovy and watermelon apex. The early hits were on the apex so we switched to 2 apex, with all of the action on the bottom of the downrigger at 50’ on the wire, with a 20’ setback, in about 60-80’ of water. I caught 1 keeper and my son caught 2 shakers and lost one huge one (jumped the hook). We also had a false alarm and caught a mackerel, ha. Thanks again to all those that provided great advice, and helped us finally change our luck!

4FF1ABCC-D1D8-4F14-B8E0-ACF73D0AF441.png 095BCDE5-94B9-4990-B2E3-0086D195D138.jpeg B23B03D4-0A42-4938-95DF-292B73933903.jpeg

Rex1978

Nov 4, 2010
Novato, CA
Name
Rex
Boat
Hopefully one day
Great job on getting some action!
That last picture... it might be the angle, but the coloring of a few areas of that fish look a little.... different? .......?

RajC

May 28, 2018
California
Name
Raj
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2100 WA
Great job on getting some action!
That last picture... it might be the angle, but the coloring of a few areas of that fish look a little.... different? .......?
Thanks Rex. Yea, it was the angle of the countershading / camouflage, as all 3 king salmon had a similar color pattern (dark on top and light on bottom).

hanahou7

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 12, 2017
San Jose, CA
Name
Terence
Boat
Arima Sea Hunter
Congrats on getting the salmon skunk off the boat! Thanks for sharing and hope you can get into some bigger fish next time

jgy

May 29, 2008
SF Bay Area, CA
Name
James
Boat
Looking for a World Cat 320EC (hit me up if you have one for sale)
You shouldn't be boating/netting shakers. Gives them a small chance to live if you do. If it's definitely undersized, just shake the hook while the fish is still in the water. If you have to measure it, you can lift it up by the leader and measure.

We went out of Half Moon Bay this morning and ran up to Pedro Point. I took Shawn’s guidance and dropped the flashers and stacked a glow krippled anchovy and watermelon apex. The early hits were on the apex so we switched to 2 apex, with all of the action on the bottom of the downrigger at 50’ on the wire, with a 20’ setback, in about 60-80’ of water. I caught 1 keeper and my son caught 2 shakers and lost one huge one (jumped the hook). We also had a false alarm and caught a mackerel, ha. Thanks again to all those that provided great advice, and helped us finally change our luck!

View attachment 949268 View attachment 949271 View attachment 949272

RajC

May 28, 2018
California
Name
Raj
Boat
Seaswirl Striper 2100 WA
You shouldn't be boating/netting shakers. Gives them a small chance to live if you do. If it's definitely undersized, just shake the hook while the fish is still in the water. If you have to measure it, you can lift it up by the leader and measure.
Yea, I’ll do that next time, measuring on the leader when close. I’m usually good in performing a quick catch and release. In this case the shakers were 19” and I made an exception to allow my son a picture since his first salmon.